ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NHL Playoffs

millz58

Watching the 1st Yapierre dive call again on youtube, and it does look like he tries to make it look like he was hit from behind when clearly he braces for the hit.

Hard call for the ref to make on the fly but he probably got it right.

Its Lapierre's reputation preceding him IMO, and thats his own fault.

I didn't see the 2nd call on Lapierre but I saw the first one, and I also so his facial reaction to enough of the calls against MTL, somewhere between indignance and that "sucking-teeth" expression I get from students after I catch them doing something wrong... I haven't seen enough of the Habs this year; I do know the Caps spend way too much time in Halak's face, but still he dazzled. Hey, game 7, the road teams have been better in this series..., except for last night, when the home team did dominate.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfriggin' real, Datsyuk with two goals in 1:40? I thought I was watching a replay when I saw the second... I was trying to get my mind used to not having the Wings in the conference semifinals (maybe so also were a bunch of 'Hawks fans) but it looks like they're catching fire...

edit (11:37) that was a flukey goal off the face-off, but it's 2-1 Detroit now, maybe the Coyotes will make some noise...

edit (10:30) now the Phoenix fans are chanting "Hooo-ward", why? he has been really good so far for Detroit

edit (end of 2nd) breakaway goal for detroit, they have this one firmly in hand 4-1

I can only hope Montreal puts up a better fight v. the Caps tomorrow night in their game 7. I hate anti-climactic endings...

anyhoo, strength, skills and experience will out in this series, at least the Coyotes took it the distance. "full marks" for the season. I'll skip Babcock's post-game, if you please...

Well, the Caps are up against it now, down 1-0 to Montreal midway through 3rd period. Each team has a goal disallowed because of goalie interference (no penalty called in either case), although Lapierre continues his sketchy ways by being "more" in the crease, actually pushing Varlamov a bit before the puck went in. The refs are being generous there; but both goalies are playing great and especially Halak, who is coming with the same game as he had two nights ago... Man, Washington losing in round one THIS year would be an upset of great proportions, and could really bring some off-season upheaval. And how would the Habs fair against the Penguins in round 2? I'd be equally interested in the resulting Flyers-Bruins matchup should the Caps fail to win tonight.

HOLY SHIT THE HABS GO UP 2-0 WITH ABOUT 3 MINS TO GO! A HUGE UPSET BREWING IN GAME 7!! Bad play on the puck in the Caps' defensive zone allows an easy goal, and Montreal looks like they are going to pull the playoff upset of history, the Caps would be the only #1 seed to lose to an #8 seed after being up 3 games to 1...

...wow, as I'm typing this Laich scores to make it 2-1... Fasten your seatbelts, it's gonna be a bumpy night!

edit: Now the high-stick gives the Caps a 2:00 PP with 1:44 left! Best PP in the regular season, but worst in the Post-season for Washington; we'll see! and they have Varlamov on the bench already! TWO PUCKS ALMOST GO IN THE EMPTY NET!

... and, it's over (somber tone here); one of the best regular seasons in NHL history goes for naught (as their league-leading power-play went 1-for-forever this post-season); the #8 seed Montreal Canadiens take out the top-seeded Washington Capitals with a 2-1 victory in game 7, at Verizon center.

Bring on the Penguins, as Scott Gomez says, "there will be better days". We'll see how Montreal does against Pittsburgh.

ALL CREDIT TO THE HABS AND ONE OF THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYOFF SERIES EFFORTS I'VE EVER SEEN, AND AGAINST ONE OF THE BEST OFFENSIVE CLUBS IN RECENT MEMORY. Incredible.

Well Spen, it's on... . Pens v. Habs. I remember Hal Gill being an occasional liability in defense last year with Pittsburgh, and this year he is superman, blocking hella shots and giving a steady seasoned experienced influence to a up-n-coming Montreal team, especially Halak (who has been out-freakin'-standing). Whaddya think?

edit: smurfs aren't much shorter than Penguins :)

Well, the Caps are the #1 seed in the east, and are facing the Canadians. By all rights, this should be at longest a 5-game series, given the offensive dominance the Caps have put up, and that the Habs just don't score much (e.g. WAS's goals-per-game is 3.87 which is 1/2 a goal per game higher than anyone, while MTL's 2.56 goals per game is slightly under the Caps' 2.77 goals-against average.)

Also, the Pens are in a very familiar #4 seed, and face the #5 senators in the first round (as they did during their '07-'08 Stanley Cup finals run). Could the Pens and Caps meet up again this year in the playoffs, as they did last year? Would be another great installment of Caps/Pens playoffs, if the Caps could actually win one. I'm a Pens fan, but wouldn't mind seeing the Caps actually go deeper into the playoffs, given their scoring skills and need to make a mark in this newer generation of playoff-caliber teams as they are, along with Pens, 'Hawks, etc.

I haven't watched enough hockey to really make confident predictions, but I think Chicago, San Jose, Washington and NJ really represent well as the 1 and 2 seeds. However Pittsburgh, Phoenix and Buffalo will definitely make marks IMO.

Obviously I give the Habs credit, they took out the Caps (difference there was defense and PP/PK). Chicago, San Jose made it through, I think Phoenix and Buffalo definitely still made marks. Philly was no real underdog against NJ (nor was Boston against Buffalo). Waiting for second round!

Tons of thoughts about the game tonight, sorry I couldn't get here earlier. I was a bit drained from the nail biter of a game. So I may be all over the place.

The Habs played well tonight and really did the whole series with the exception of a few periods here and there. In some places the reason for the loss is being attributed all to Halak, Halak was great and if he wasn't the Canadiens wouldn't have won, but I don't think the Capitals ever really got going in the series.

What a shot by Moore. Nice pickup near the deadline, the kind no one notices but who really helps. He was strong down the stretch. It was a nice setup on the goal by Lapierre too. I hate him, but he does have decent hands and is really fast. Stop the yapping and diving and he would be OK.

More PK less Ryan O'byrne please.

I think Gill has always gotten a bad rap. He is slow so if he gets beat it looks awful, but overall he is a solid defensemen. Not great, but solid. Gorges played really well, what a stop near the end.

I dont think the Habs can beat the Penguins, but I didnt think they would win this either. It may not make sense, but I felt they matched up better against the Capitals than a lot of other teams in the east. And it may not make sense but I do think the Capitals were the best team in the east, even better then the Penguins but I dont like the way these two teams match up. So I think it will be the Pens in 5 or so.

Where was the high stick at 1:44? I watched it on my DVR over and over and I dont see anything close. I would have been livid if the game got tied on a phantom high stick. Maybe it happened before the replay they showed.

Force, hang in there. If they beat the Canadiens I wanted to see the Capitals go far. I enjoyed the local excitement I saw for the team. I think Bruce needs to go. Either way, its a really talented core. They'll tweak a few things and be better.

With all the upsets, I think the Penguins have an easy trip to the finals. I just dont see any of the remaining teams in the east being too tough for them. But we'll see.

Anyone of the smurfs (Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri) could play for me anytime. "You can be my wing man anytime Squid!" (gayest thing I ever posted) They may be small, but they compete and fight for the puck. The Habs have had a number of big guys who played small the last few years and I hated that. Still have a couple.

Lotsa great comments, Spen. I'm all for the Smurfs, they played huge. I think the Caps just gave up in numerous stretches of time (particularly midway through game 6) and had no heart, so you could say they never got it going, maybe because they couldn't or maybe because they wouldn't. to me the latter spells the end of Boudreau, he had no conviction or fire to change his team's mindset the last 4 games of the series, and a coach's job is to change or steady the mindset of the team and to motivate players, and manage lines; those guys already know the X-O's of the task.

I'm a Pens fan obviously, and even without that I really don't care for Ovechkin. That being said, I had visceral pain watching the game 7 post-game interview with him, I really felt badly for him. But that team (and he himself) need to learn to step it up in the playoffs and play with focused urgency. And 1 for 33 on the PP after having the league lead in PP% during the regular season is RIDICULOUS (how does Boudreau explain not addressing that during the series?) I also wanted to see the Caps go far, they need to for their team, but it would also solidify a shift in power away from more traditionally favored franchises (Philly, Montreal, etc.) and the burgeoning (overly hyped, but still growing) rivalry between the Pens and Caps would have really been justified by an Eastern Conference Finals matchup. Oh well...

One big reason Pens could be rightly favored to beat Montreal is Crosby, not just because he's another NHL poster-boy who has happened to step-up in the postseason, but he offers things Ovie doesn't (more East-West lateral movement in front of the net, solid play behind the net, patience when working in the zone, extends plays instead of speeding them up, etc.) Ovie tended to play into the hands of the Habs defense by going to hard directly to the net, which MTL defense was waiting for. I don't expect the Penguins to be that impatient and do expect them to be more versatile. The X-factor in my view is the Pens' PK. Not sure how they'll do against a team who's PP has been about as good this far in the Playoffs as Pittsburgh's has (and let's face it, Fleury is not exactly playing like Halak; but who is besides Luongo?)

Force, post up dude! We need more hockey fans on this football website :)

go Sharks! Lotsa cred to the 'Wings, but I also wanna see new blood in the Western conference. Particularly Vancouver. and Chicago. Heck, anyone except Lidstrom, Zetterberg, et al...

PK on the PK!

PC_070623subban-pk_n.jpg

I had no idea PK were Subban's initials! Until I saw the highlight of his goal! I got in late, just turned the game on and they were callin' his name! Seems like a good competitive game so far (2-1 pens at 1:03 to go in 1st) and both teams are challenging in the offensive zones. I like Pen's PP goal, and REALLY like it when Stall scores. I hope this series goes (say) 6 games, to get a flavor of what MTL can do to thwart the C's of Pittsburgh. Halak had a couple go by him early, and he has been more back-in-the-crease than vs. Washington. Is that being defensive about defending? I dunno but I'd love to see Halak play like he did last round, except maybe that had more to do with the way the Caps were playing and the Habs' D channeling shots toward their crowd ... We'll see.

That hit on Markov was close, but clean in my view, hope he's okay, Subban (!) will be very needed from here on... I love Gonchar, always have, he's so cool and effective on PP, he will be vital for Pittsburgh as Habs try to shut down the Pens' offense; special teams is the key to this series I think, other than how the Pens' C's do, and (maybe more) how Pens' D can backcheck.

Wow, everyone's in on the PP for Pens, Letang now for Pittsburgh's 3rd man-advantage goal... . I didn't think Pens would score that easily, but there PP was 25% in round 1 vs. OTT. The had great puck movement in these goals, in-out, around, adjusting to Habs' good pressure.

Awesome kick-save by MAF on Gomez!

edit (6:20) Crosby is schooling suppan...; (5:30) Pens basically had an even-strength PP down in the Habs' zone; pressure mounting... (4:40) Subban nice pass, whiffed on...

GOAL CAMMALERI AT 4:33 this guy scares me, he makes it happen and has a great shot! 3-2 Pens...

edit (3:55) Pyatt and Subban are making noise around the Pens' net, could prove pivotal

Edited by millz58

Holy **** great zone pass during a (subtle) line change, Adams with a goal; 4-2 pens at 18:36 pd. 2

I like how physical the Habs are playing now, but I don't know if that's helping them in defense. maybe they need to hunker down a bit like they did v. Washington, just to force the Pens to work for their shots. Pens are very fluid right now in their chances, quickly communicating and nicley passing; I recall how the Habs extended their defense to the blue line at times to thwart the Caps advance last round, maybe they can do some of that... If Stall doesn't come back then Gomez might have some opportunity to break through

Wow delay of game on Habs, PP for Pens. Pens are throwing MTL's timing off (or at least what they were used to v. Caps), Halak is having to look a bit more at the plays and see some hesitation and development, maybe dulling him a bit.

edit: 17:02 Goligoski PP goal, Crosby assist... this seems like a formula that Jacques martin will have to figure out. It's been too easy to this point for the pens.

edit (14:42) well, Price comes in for Halak... 5-2 pens...

Habs have done well to bottle up crosby's puck-handling, rushes, chances, but he still finds ways to stay in and prolong the plays, assist, etc. He is growing as a player, rounding out his game but still being the play-maker he came into the league as a rookie. he's becoming a greater player...

Again it's almost like the Pens were running an even-strength PP type set against the Habs, and now Gill takes a penalty... this could be the back-breaker if Pens score here.

edit: 4-on-4? didn't catch that...; this kid Subban's getting valuable minutes in the playoffs, he's big as hell, and skates well, handles his body well, shields off bodies well, handles the puck pretty well, he'll be a keeper...

edit(:45) Guerin gets the EN goal, 6-3 game 1 for the Pens, but the Habs played well. Not sure how long this series will go, I saw Fleury wake up a bit and show some of his better playoff form, and saw Halak get a bit uncomfortable. Seems like Pens have the personnel and attitude to pull this series off.

edit: speaking of personnel, the Subban-Stall tie-up might cost Jordan Staal a game or so, hopefully not, but he looked gimpy and injured; he's not missed a game, and Pittsburgh's 3rd Center is more valuable on defense and in general does things not recognized easily when eyes are too focused on the Crosby's and Malkin's of the team; Staal's a great player and his absence would be a serious advantage for the Habs.

Good game tonight. I dont feel so bad about this one because the Habs only had a day to prepare for this, and the Caps and Penguins play so differently. Penguins played very well. Besides the PK, I really didnt think the Habs played that poorly.

I think they are a bit tired, and the 2pm Sunday game wont help either, but hopefully they can make some adjustments.

Really though, without Markov they are done. I have no problem with that hit, I think it was clean.

Good game tonight. I dont feel so bad about this one because the Habs only had a day to prepare for this, and the Caps and Penguins play so differently. Penguins played very well. Besides the PK, I really didnt think the Habs played that poorly.

I think they are a bit tired, and the 2pm Sunday game wont help either, but hopefully they can make some adjustments.

Really though, without Markov they are done. I have no problem with that hit, I think it was clean.

agreed; I think MTL did look a bit flat and their PK wasn't there but both are understandable given the Habs trek thus far. We'll see about Markov. Also Staal, he is really valuable to the Pens as well.

I'm gonna be out of it for the next couple of games, I'll post later after the Sunday game (got ticket to the O's/Red sox Sunday game) but will be out of the loop for the Tuesday game, hopefully back in the loop for the Thursday game (going on a backpacking trip well out of reach of most signals).

peace

edit: no, wait a minute, I'd be remiss (and what the heck does that mean anyway) if I didn't mention that, when the Pens scored their first goal tonight, Gonchar's, there was a visible shot of Bylsma "blowing" a relief breathe, as if to gesture "whew, I'm sure glad we got that one back that quickly". The chalk talk is that the Pens are all cool and collected "like their coach" but let's face it, Dan's still a young'n and maybe he is more a product of his team's collective composure than the other way. But he's got a chance to prove he's better than Thierren. Hopefully he will.