ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NHL Playoffs

millz58

I am pretty amazed with the Habs. With a depleted defense corp they keep trying. If PK has not been as solid as he has been, it would have been over already.

Cammalleri's second goal was a beauty. I bet I spell his name differently every time I type it.

Penguins kept coming and had me worried at the end. Game 7 should be fun, and nerve wracking!

This game was nerve wracking, I was wringing my hands. Subban has definitely been good; Spacek came up big. I really loved the atmosphere the Bell center provided, the Habs seemed to feed off of it, as they should, representing real history in the making, as well as the historic past. I don't know what to make of game 7 at the Igloo, except that obviously Montreal could put an ignominious bookend onto that building's history should they win Wednesday (being the first team to win there, and maybe the last.) This game will really test the resolve of defending champs... and play into the hands of the media who might rightly wish to see the change of guard. What would be better than, say, a renewal of Boston/Montreal? I would personally be dissappointed but happy still to watch more of two teams that have done quite a bit more than expected.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game was nerve wracking, I was wringing my hands. Subban has definitely been good; Spacek came up big. I really loved the atmosphere the Bell center provided, the Habs seemed to feed off of it, as they should, representing real history in the making, as well as the historic past. I don't know what to make of game 7 at the Igloo, except that obviously Montreal could put an ignominious bookend onto that building's history should they win Wednesday (being the first team to win there, and maybe the last.) This game will really test the resolve of defending champs... and play into the hands of the media who might rightly wish to see the change of guard. What would be better than, say, a renewal of Boston/Montreal? I would personally be dissappointed but happy still to watch more of two teams that have done quite a bit more than expected.

Thinking about the end of the Igloo, if it were up to me I would have played a handful of games there next season just to send the arena off in style without wondering when the last game was.

Boston-Montreal is fun because they hate each other. In the finals a possible Bruins-Sharks final might be interesting with Thornton. But Philly isn't done yet, I guess they never got the memo about teams being down 3-0. Just because the Pens are at home I like there chances Wednesday.

Two game sevens in two series, my hair is going gray!

I'm okay with the Igloo being done after this playoff season (for the Pens) is over, it kinda adds some "grandeur" to the rep of a building that was never really grand, just cozy and old. I know Bruins and Habs hate each other (is it more from Boston's end though, I imagine, an Original 6 team hatin' on the best ever?) also Philly/Montreal would be cool, throwback to some '80's era matchups; I agree, Philly is not done at all, playing at home, getting healthier and managing to score well even without Carter. If Leighton can put up another good performance in Boucher's stead, lookout Beantown... . And yeah, seeing thornton go up against the B's would be a cool story, but I think SJ/MTL would be even better (a team desperately trying to live up to expectations, against a team noone save themselves expected to advance this far). And hey, how can we forget about Chicago, who is making the next step in their progression to greatness; they will put up a big roadblock for the Sharks, no doubt. I think Nabokov is better than Niemi, but he'll have to be the way the Blackhawks have been playing.

BTW I heard something about stress and "graying hair" recently, about how hair doesn't "go gray", but the follicles eventually do lose their ability to provide color to new hair, so the role of stress is that it aids in hair falling out more frequently, thus causing the follicles to run out of "ink" sooner. I like to think graying hair runs in my family, but really my family eats stress, with mustard.

Best of luck and credit to your Habs, Spen, they've done a great job to get to this point, I'll be happier if Pittsburgh wins of course, but hey I'll root for Montreal should they prevail! HOLY SH*T IT'S ANOTHER GAME 7!!!!!!!!!

Wow, Gill is back in for MTL and Bylsma is putting Ponikarovsky back in for the Pens. Gill is a sure thing assuming he's reasonably well, but I don't know about Alex P, he has shown nothing for the Pens this year, will he find a way to contribute meaningfully with Gill most likely taking Crosby out of the game (again)? here we go....

edit: holy crap, 10 seconds in and Crosby's hit with 2 minutes for boarding against Georges?! And now PK scores? Fleury gave up a softy for sure; unreal, and now also another penalty. Cooke... horrible start for the Pens.

That icing call was the best thing to happen for Pittsburgh the first 7 minutes; Pens look really outta sync, lots of offsides, not playing very physically, not generating enough shots offensively, or even productive possessions in the zone. also defensively they look tentative, not assertive in neutral zone or in backchecking... at least now they have a PP to work with...

edit: and they've really screwed up this PP, so sloppy with the passing, MTL is pushing them out to the perimeter; what a waste, even gave up a couple shorty chances...; this is disturbing, someone with some veteran-like nerves should step up and calm this team down (Guerin?)

thank god for intermission; I need a beer. I haven't seen the Pens play so poorly in the playoffs in a while..., what bad timing. I'm even more surprised at Gonchar, a model of defensive and PP consistency, he played poorly as well, definitely not helped by his teammates in the special teams mode, but still he should be a settling influence. Meanwhile Montreal's plugging away, taking advantage of turnovers, controlling space especially neutral zone and thwarting almost every Pens foray into their zone. I think Pittsburgh had one productive drive into the O-zone, although pointless. Malkin and Crosby better find some urgency immediately, or they'll rightly be called out bigtime, as they are the stars and should come out like ones next period. Instead they have played like clueless newcomers to the playoffs. Unreal...

...another defensive TO; another goal for cammalleri; this is painful. I can't understand this...; even a goal here on this PP would only keep the crowd from booing, but the Pens can't keep it in the zone.

... and now another TO by Kunitz, and the Habs get a shorty! 4-0 Montreal. Jesus. Now Johnson comes on to replace Fleury. sigh... as soon as this is over, I'll change my sig pic to a Habs logo. Really. I'm gonna go find one now...

Kunitz scores; now he only needs two more to get the hat trick and absolve himself for the the goal-producing turnovers he made. Where the hell is Letang now? I wanna see Orpik level someone just for one more time this year...

Ponikarovsky contributes on the PP, Staal gets the deflection goal, 4-2 Habs... we'll see, it's getting late in the 2nd period...; now Talbot's getting in on the act. Some life on the Penguins' side...

edit: so Pens will go into the 3rd, down 4-2, but with a 4-on-3 PP thanks to Dupuis selling a cross-check penalty.

Here's the logos I have so far...; I remember seeing the alternate jerseys on some fans, with the C/A, I really thought they were bootlegs (!), or just really old. which one should I change to Spen?

post-307-127371138886_thumb.png

post-307-127371140387_thumb.gif

post-307-127371142563_thumb.gif

post-307-127371146339_thumb.gif

post-307-127371150628_thumb.gif

post-307-127371152367_thumb.gif

That last PP for the Pens was a wasted opportunity, they could've gotten to within one, but they kept the same people out, got tired, lost a lot of pucks, then couldn't make their change efficiently and got called for too-many-men-on-the-ice, and now must kill a penalty and find a way to score (at least) two goals in probably 8 minutes to stay alive. ridiculous.

and now the PP goal by the Habs, the Pens were hardly trying to get the Habs out of any kind of rhythm on that; well i'll keep searching for logos... 5-2 Montreal...

Last post i'll make sporting the Pens' logo; no excuses. They played like shit tonight, it was frustrating and embarrassing. Anyway the Habs will close the evil circle of being the first and last team to win at the Igloo; I wish them luck. They are certainly equal to or better than Boston or Philly, and may even relish facing either of those teams, who certainly have a more colorful history with the Habs than Washington or Pittsburgh.

Good series Millz, I have trouble posting here during the game or I'd have more to say. Stall scared me every time he was on the ice.

I'm shocked and kind of at a loss for words. I have been a Habs fan for 12-13 years and last year was the first season that they were predicted to be really good since I have followed them. Naturally they stunk - back into the playoffs and were quickly swept by the Bruins. Due to the expectations that was the worst year and least fun I had as a fan. Now this up and down season and they beat the two best eastern teams (IMO) and make it to the conference finals for the first time since I have been watching. Unreal. You never know.

Yeah, good series Spen, moreso for Montreal than Pittsburgh, the latter team had no clue this last game and really in the whole series; this Habs team has that "team of destiny" thing about them, and I'm only quoting what I've heard from other sources, like XM 204 and such. They seem to handle themselves well and their opposition (no matter how offensively potent) even better. Meanwhile Philly is really taking it to Boston, and wow, it could be the final two teams to make the playoffs in the east to go to the conference finals. Halak has been awesome, I see no reason why the Habs can't get to the Finals now.

edit: and the Flyers force game 7....!!

I got to give it to your Habs, millz. I thought Halak just caught the perfect storm and hit a hot streak to beat the Caps. But no, he has kept up his amazing play throughout the playoffs and beat two of the most dangerous and talented offensive attacks the NHL has seen in years. The Habs team defense has been splendid. Very disciplined, they hustle, and they block shots before they can even get to the net. This could be a team of destiny this year.

I got to give it to your Habs, millz.

Thanks *ahem*, they're really Spen's Habs. But I will root for them from this point on, not just because they beat "my Pens", but they really are a team to like; despite the "smurfs" and all other pejoratives used for them in recent years, they do carry that aura of 'team of destiny'. I remember going to Alonso's on Cold Spring early in the 2000 Ravens' season when Tom Matte, Bruce Cunningham and Bruce Laird had their saturday radio show, and Matte at numerous points called those Ravens a team of destiny. Hardly as likeable a bunch as these Canadiens, but somehow blessed...

Okay, now the FRIGGIN' FLYERS, COMING OFF A 4-3 COMEBACK WIN OVER THE BRUINS are going to take on the "upstart" Habs... unreal... Both conference finals matchups start on sunday, thankfully, I can rest and contemplate... what might have been... .

What a series and what a game. Back from 3-0 in the series and 3-0 in the game. Amazing.

Oh well I hate the Bruins and Lucic.

I have no predictions. At this point I wouldnt want to pick against the Habs or the Flyers.

I have no predictions. At this point I wouldnt want to pick against the Habs or the Flyers.

agreed, and as well for the Western finals, SJ and CHI seem pretty evenly matched. I'm really looking forward to this. I don't understand why the Western finals game 1 is at 3pm and the Eastern finals game 1 at 7pm? Kinda strange; better than 7pm and 10pm though, to be sure.