ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Round 1 Thursday Night NFL Draft

vmax

For all those complaining about the trade:

We got Boldin, a second, a fifth and moved up in the 3rd and 4th for our first.

Seems like the wizard of oz worked his magic again.

Not really! We got traded and 3rd rounder for Boldin and swapped a 4th round pick for a 5th round pick.

Then we screwed up and missed out on Dez Bryant...and then threw away a shot at Kyle Wilson by trading a 1st rounder for a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pick. Granted, we did get the better value in the trade per the pick value chart...but this does that make up for the fact that we missed out on Bryant by 1 pick and didn't have the smarts to move up two spots to grab him! Ozzie will be kicking himself in the ass for the next 15 years as Bryant tears up the NFL! Thank god he was taken by the Cowboys at least, and not the Pats! I have agreed with most Newsome moves over the years...but this one is big time bone headed! He is probably slurping his 'Bama buddy Terence Cody's juice a lil too much and is blinded by his gigantic man boobs!

I really was hoping we would get Bryant, the guy was a top ten talent. However, that was irrelevant when our pick came up. Taking that into account, there was not a player that stood out at #25, so trading back was the best option. I want to see what players we end up with before we pass judgement.

Here is my thought process...Yes Bryant is a top 10 pick! And he was there at #23...you have to trade up 2 spots to pick him! How can you not? I mean the Pats could have easily taken him let alone trade out and let the Cowboys take him! It is just impossible to swallow to know that we had a chance at the next Randy Moss and we miss out on him...sorry! I think we have already lost in this draft! Hopefully I am proved wrong tomorrow!

I would have been really pissed like everyone is here if we had just stayed at #25 after missing Bryant. However, I feel like we got great value with that trade in picking up 2/3/4 rounders. Hopefully we can grab a cornerback or Mount Cody at 42 and make it a great move.

I would have been really pissed like everyone is here if we had just stayed at #25 after missing Bryant. However, I feel like we got great value with that trade in picking up 2/3/4 rounders. Hopefully we can grab a cornerback or Mount Cody at 42 and make it a great move.

If we can get Cody, Gronkowski/Pitta, and a corner I'd say we made a good trade. Ozzie's track record in the 2nd round worries me though.

I'm sorry...big tits cody does not make up for missing out on Dez Bryant or turning down Kyle Wilson...it is illogical and silly to think that he is better value to the team then either of those two players!

CB's left who we could look at: Chris Cook at #43 or Jerome Murphy at #57 or Amari Spivey/Brandon Ghee at #70

Here is my thought process...Yes Bryant is a top 10 pick! And he was there at #23...you have to trade up 2 spots to pick him! How can you not? I mean the Pats could have easily taken him let alone trade out and let the Cowboys take him! It is just impossible to swallow to know that we had a chance at the next Randy Moss and we miss out on him...sorry! I think we have already lost in this draft! Hopefully I am proved wrong tomorrow!

You're being really ridiculous. Don't you understand that the Ravens have (had) the second fewest draft picks in the entire league this year? There was no ammunition. Harbaugh even said on WBAL at around pick #15 that there was no way they'd be trading up.

Ozzie pretty much articulated the plan (also on WBAL...good listening this evening) earlier, that they would absolutely not be trading up, and that they'd only be picking at #25 if there was more than one guy they coveted available (i.e. two or more to choose from). Otherwise, they'd do the best they could to trade out of the pick and gear up for Friday.

It's bad enough to criticize a draft in the same year it happens, but, my god, at least let this thing finish first and see what the Castle's plan is.

PS: It came down the grapevine earlier today that the Ravens had zero interest in Kyle Wilson. One executive was quoted as saying that he'd "never be able to cover Chad Johnson in the NFL".

Well than Ozzie Newsome is an idiot! Sorry...IMHO Dez Bryant is as legit as you can get at WR and will tear up the league for the next 12-15 years! I will eat crow if wrong, but I just don't see it happening. To trade from #25 to #23 take 40 points...i.e. a 5th rounder! BIG F'ing deal! John Harbaugh isn't a great judge of talent BTW...see L.J. Smith acquisition if you think I am wrong! Not to mention he is a complete knucklehead on game day...the dude can't even adequately succeed at clock management on a fifth grade level...so please don't quote that clown when it comes to cerebral decision making!

Well than Ozzie Newsome is an idiot! Sorry...IMHO Dez Bryant is as legit as you can get at WR and will tear up the league for the next 12-15 years! I will eat crow if wrong, but I just don't see it happening. To trade from #25 to #23 take 40 points...i.e. a 5th rounder! BIG F'ing deal! John Harbaugh isn't a great judge of talent BTW...see L.J. Smith acquisition if you think I am wrong! Not to mention he is a complete knucklehead on game day...the dude can't even adequately succeed at clock management on a fifth grade level...so please don't quote that clown when it comes to cerebral decision making!

I have to agree with you here on Bryant although it would have taken atleast both 5th's since the Cowboys gave up a 4th. Half of our draft picks last year didn't even make the team so does it really make sense to stockpile picks this year?

You guys are suggesting that you'd be satisfied with us having three or four draft picks this year. How incredibly shortsighted.

For a top 10 talent? Absolutely!

Does everyone here realize that we only really gained one pick in the trade with Denver! According to nfl.com 9http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true):

Denver received pick # 25 and our 4th rounder #119

Baltimore received a 2nd (#43), a third (#70), and a 4th (#114).

This trade is completely equal in terms of points, but in no way does it look any better in the morning now to trade out of 1st round to only gain a 3rd round pick! Such a joke!

You have to look at it this way:

Ozzie gets 3 players for whoever they could have taken at #25.

That's better for the team. A 2nd, 3rd and 4th round choice is very good value.

Are we forgetting that "trading up" requires, um, TRADING SOMETHING.

What do you give up to get that pick? Which later round pick? We're already short on picks.

Meanwhile... "Scouted as Top 15!!!" or "40 points in draft value!!" ... what does that even mean? When Dez busts, when Dan busts... we'll know. Why would a guy "rated top 15" still be there at 25? Apparently no one else was ranking him top 15.

You have to look at it this way:

Ozzie gets 3 players for whoever they could have taken at #25.

That's better for the team. A 2nd, 3rd and 4th round choice is very good value.

Well let's see what he does...he normally whiffs on 2nd and 3rd rounders...so we shall see!

Are we forgetting that "trading up" requires, um, TRADING SOMETHING.

What do you give up to get that pick? Which later round pick? We're already short on picks.

Meanwhile... "Scouted as Top 15!!!" or "40 points in draft value!!" ... what does that even mean? When Dez busts, when Dan busts... we'll know. Why would a guy "rated top 15" still be there at 25? Apparently no one else was ranking him top 15.

It is a 40 point difference on the NFL draft pick value chart between pick #25 and pick #23. So in order for a team to move up from #25 to #23 they need to offer a package that includes a pick to make up that 40 point difference which would essentially be a 5th round pick.

For a top 10 talent? Absolutely!

Does everyone here realize that we only really gained one pick in the trade with Denver! According to nfl.com 9http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true):

Denver received pick # 25 and our 4th rounder #119

Baltimore received a 2nd (#43), a third (#70), and a 4th (#114).

This trade is completely equal in terms of points, but in no way does it look any better in the morning now to trade out of 1st round to only gain a 3rd round pick! Such a joke!

You didn't read what REED told me. That page is incorrect. We didn't have a fourth rounder to give. So, we gained two picks. Not one.

Its obvious fanatic has experience AND success running an NFL franchise and now that he's retired and living in his house of gold from all of his enormous insight, we must accept that what Ozzie chose to do was in poor judgement, eventhough his track record would suggest otherwise.

I can't wait till Mighty Stevie B hires you next year after Ozzie Newsome hangs himself at the public square of raven bandwagoners, after this being his pinacle of failure.

BTW...shut the f up.

• Upvote 1

From Ozzie:

That offer was so good that if Dez Bryant doesnt get picked in front of us and makes it to us we probably would have still made the trade. We had a chance to move up to that spot to get Dez Bryant and we decided against it.

We just have to trust that Ozzie has a plan. ANYWAYS LETS MOVE ON. Here are some players I would target in rounds 2-3:

WR Arrelious Benn (Illinois)

WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

WR Taylor Price (Ohio University)

WR Golden Tate (Notre Dame)

CB Chris Cook (Virginia)

CB Brandon Ghee (Wake Forest)

CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (IUP)

OLB Sergio Kindle (Texas)

DE Carlos Dunlap (FSU)

DT Terrence Cody (Alabama)

DT Linval Joseph (ECU)

TE Rob Gronkowski (Arizona)

TE Anthony McCoy (USC)

Any of these guys targets? I would

Cook and Gronkowski are definite targets for our first pick in the second round. For the second pick I could see Cody (if he falls), Carlton Mitchell, Taylor Price, or Linval Joseph as targets.

After time to cool down it's hard to criticize the trade.

Traded down 18 spots from #25 to #43

Traded up 18 spots in 3rd from #88 to #70

Traded up 9 spots in 4th from #123 to # 114

Added 5th round pick (#157)

So we basically got Boldin for free.

After time to cool down it's hard to criticize the trade.

Traded down 18 spots from #25 to #43

Traded up 18 spots in 3rd from #88 to #70

Traded up 9 spots in 4th from #123 to # 114

Added 5th round pick (#157)

So we basically got Boldin for free.

Good way to put it Reed...see what a little sleep will do for you?

I have to agree with you here on Bryant although it would have taken atleast both 5th's since the Cowboys gave up a 4th. Half of our draft picks last year didn't even make the team so does it really make sense to stockpile picks this year?

Well Dallas jumped up from #27 to #24...so the difference in points between those two picks was 60 so they had to give a little more to move up than we would of had to by moving from #25 to #23 since that is only a 40 point difference in value.

Its obvious fanatic has experience AND success running an NFL franchise and now that he's retired and living in his house of gold from all of his enormous insight, we must accept that what Ozzie chose to do was in poor judgement, eventhough his track record would suggest otherwise.

I can't wait till Mighty Stevie B hires you next year after Ozzie Newsome hangs himself at the public square of raven bandwagoners, after this being his pinacle of failure.

BTW...shut the f up.

You're ridiculous! If I wanna bash Ozzie Newsome, it is certainly within my right to do so! I think his approach leading up to our pick was poor. If you seriously covet several players (Gresham, D. Thomas, and Dez Bryant) and they are all still on the board at #20 then you hope to God that one of them lasts 5 picks until you are on the clock. But if two of them are snatched up and you still really covet the third and represents amazing value and talent then you should trade a 5th rounder to move up and get him.

Am I a GM, no! But we all pretend to be by saying what we would do and what should be done! If you have a problem with opinion then stop reading forums because that's what you get! Got it? Good!