ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Projected Starting Line Up

vmax

There are many packages, so many players will be seeing the field during the game, but here's NFL.coms projected starting line up for the Ravens...

QB Joe Flacco DT Chris Canty
RB Justin Forsett NT Brandon Williams
WR1 Steve Smith Sr. DT Timmy Jernigan
WR2 Breshad Perriman OLB Terrell Suggs
WR3 Marlon Brown ILB C.J. Mosley
TE1 Maxx Williams ILB Daryl Smith
LT Eugene Monroe OLB Elvis Dumervil
LG Kelechi Osemele CB1 Lardarius Webb
C Jeremy Zuttah CB2 Jimmy Smith
RG Marshal Yanda S Will Hill
RT Rick Wagner S Kendrick Lewis

» Assuming Dennis Pitta can't return in time, the Ravens are poised to start a pair of new playmakers in the opener. First-round wideout Breshad Perriman looked more natural hauling in passes at minicamp than Torrey Smith did as a rookie, per ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley. If he can overcome his college drops, Perriman's 4.25 speed and 6-foot-2, 212-pound frame make him my pick to make the biggest impact of all first-year wideouts. Drawing comparisons to Todd Heap, rookie tight end Maxx Williams was drafted to play right away, with second-year target Crockett Gillmore taking the field on two-man sets.

» New play-caller Marc Trestman is expected to retain elements of former coordinator Gary Kubiak's zone-blocking scheme. With all five offensive linemen set to return, why mess with a formula that unleashed Justin Forsett for 1,266 yards? Rookie Javorius Allen will compete with Lorenzo Taliaferro for backup carries.

» We're tapping Will Hill to start at safety after general manager Ozzie Newsome acknowledged that "we have not been satisfied" with third-year backstop Matt Elam. While the former first-rounder will make the team, we can't help but wonder if the Ravens might try to trade inside linebacker Arthur Brown, who is no threat to take snaps away from C.J. Mosley or Daryl Smith.

» Fourth-round rookie Za'Darius Smith might be the long-term replacement for Pernell McPhee, but Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil remain as starters at outside linebacker. We can't help but wonder if Smith was also drafted to allow the team to eventually wave farewell to Courtney Upshaw, who excels against the run but boasts just three sacks over as many regular seasons. He's more of a situational player.

» Joe Flacco remains embedded under center, but Tyrod Taylor has been swept out in favor of lackluster veteran Matt Schaub. Everything in Baltimore crumbles if the former Texans quarterback sees anything beyond garbage-time snaps[/b[.http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492557/article/projected-2015-starters-baltimore-ravens

Everything in Baltimore would have crumbled if Joe gets hurt even if Taylor were still the back up. Dude can't read a defense. I do agree about Upshaw, quite the disappointment so far, Elam, well, just a bust. I suppose I could be wrong on him and he turns things around, but he has no instincts.

I'm actually going to predict Kamar Aiken will be the starting X with Steve Smith as the starting Z. Marlon works best out of the slot, struggles with the press. Perriman is a rookie, it might be a lot to expect him to start right away at X fighting off the press. However, I expect him to see a lot of field time when the defense is playing off, allowing him to use his speed to blow by the coverage. He's a good blocker, so we could see him in there on run downs, then utilize his speed on play action. As he get experience he'll settle into that split end role.

We'll have a good rotation. Aiken and Smith starting at X and Z, respectively, with Perriman rotating in at the X. Campanero as a slot guy between the 20s, with Brown working the slot in the red zone (he did a lot of this in 2013, he has a knack for finding open spots in the red zone). There should be some good competition in training camp.

Max-this is an outstanding rotation and the back ups are going to be as good as anybody else's. If injuries are minimal, this team is absolutely poised to go to another superbowl. I'm ready for football!.

Everything in Baltimore would have crumbled if Joe gets hurt even if Taylor were still the back up. Dude can't read a defense. I do agree about Upshaw, quite the disappointment so far, Elam, well, just a bust. I suppose I could be wrong on him and he turns things around, but he has no instincts.

It's an impressive lineup. I have a feeling Aiken will start in front of Brown.

Upshaw's good against the run. He's been a minor letdown. Elam, I've have big doubts he'll turn it around.

I agree on both points. That is what I was going to say. Elam deserves his 3rd yr but I don't expect much.

The exciting tale will be who develops and takes over a starting role by the end of the season. This team is deep and it's a dead heat at some positions.