ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

6 Unsigned RFA's

vmax

According to Len Pasquarelli, the Ravens lead the league with 6 players who haven't signed their Restricted Free Agent tenders. It's a long article that left me thinking that Le’Ron McClain, Mark Clayton, Gaither, Sam Koch, Dawan Landry and Fabian Washington are trying to say they don't like the money.

Baring a trade there is nowhere else they can play. If they don't sign by June 15, the club has the prerogative of reducing the offer to 110 percent of their 2009 salary at any time after that.

Article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=5197588

Maybe it's a protest of some sort...with no leverage in these uncertain times of the NFL.

We started with most RFAs almost 20, and the remaining is the high tender people, some of them with legit hopes for new contracts. McClain mentioned that as his reason one of the last days.. and him Landry and Koch should be people we/I would like to sign longterm. Clayton and Fabian migth have that dream too? Gaither is probably an unhappy case.

And we need to get some of those under long term contracts, or 2011 would be ugly.

Yea...I get it.

Here's what McLean's thinking...

OWINGS MILLS - Baltimore Ravens Pro Bowl fullback Le'Ron McClain has begun an enthusiastic campaign on his Twitter account. It's called, McClain for running back.

However, it's not an elected position and McClain is content blocking for Pro Bowl runner Ray Rice. He just wants to be involved in the offense beyond his role as a human battering ram.

He also wants a long-term contract. That's why McClain said he has yet to apply his signature to his one-year, $2.396 million first-round restricted tender offer. At this point, there's no movement toward launching contract talks.

If the Ravens wanted to play hardball, they could lower restricted tender offers if McClain or his fellow unsigned restricted free agents (wide receiver Mark Clayton, punter Sam Koch, safety Dawan Landry, offensive tackle Jared Gaither and cornerback Fabian Washington) don't sign by a June 15 NFL deadline. The amount would be roughly 10 percent above their 2009 base salaries.

That's unlikely to happen, though, as all of the players have reported for workouts and aren't threatening holdouts like the Cleveland Browns' restricted free agents. With the restricted free agent signing period over, there's essentially no leverage for restricted free agents.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/article_3af7718a-63ce-11df-be5d-001cc4c03286.html

43558977.jpg

Speaking of free agents...Kelly Washington is a UFA and I don't think the Ravens have offered him a contract.

Nobody has.

I thought Washington was a very good pickup last season. It seem all the guy did was get 1st downs.

WR should be something good to watch this year, can't believe I said that.

Boldin, Mason, Clayton, Stallworth and others.

Who wants to play ST?

Will they give Clayton a real chance to return punts this year?

I thought Washington was a very good pickup last season. It seem all the guy did was get 1st downs.

WR should be something good to watch this year, can't believe I said that.

Boldin, Mason, Clayton, Stallworth and others.

Who wants to play ST?

Will they give Clayton a real chance to return punts this year?

It's passing camp, shorts ect... but David Reed is looking like the next Jerry Rice. :) He can return kicks.

More on Reed...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-cowherd-column-0519-20100520,0,577100.column

Pita and Dickson will make it even harder for the #3 and 4 WR to see the field. Cam will be sending 2 TE's out to catch passes this year.

Edited by vmax

Me too, and then when we picked up Quan and Stallworth I was thinking hell, who has a better WR corps than us?? Quan,Stallworth,Mason and Washington..This holding onto Clayton, I dont get.

Clayton has a chance to turn himself into a slot receiver but it looks like Reed is going to push him all the way for that spot. With Williams also stepping it up Clayton is fighting for his life.

Riley, Smith and Harper look like long shots to make the roster now. If we don't carry 6 WRs then someone is going to be the odd man out from Williams and Clayton and it looks like Clayton is in trouble.

I see Harper as a legitimate darkhorse if he improved his catching ability. Harper's route running ability improved dramatically last season. He was always open, and demonstrated the ability to get deep. The only problem is that he couldn't catch the ball. If his hands improve, it would be hard to get him off the field as he can get open anywhere on the field.

Me too, and then when we picked up Quan and Stallworth I was thinking hell, who has a better WR corps than us?? Quan,Stallworth,Mason and Washington..This holding onto Clayton, I dont get.

I could not agree more. Add to that one DWill who also never shows. They both should have been on the street last yr. They hold onto guys to long.

I see Harper as a legitimate darkhorse if he improved his catching ability. Harper's route running ability improved dramatically last season. He was always open, and demonstrated the ability to get deep. The only problem is that he couldn't catch the ball. If his hands improve, it would be hard to get him off the field as he can get open anywhere on the field.

What I remember about Harper was being very young and immature, The first year he didn't take very serious. He did seem much better last season. And do not forget about Marcus Smith. He is a good route runner and he was very good on ST before he got hurt.

Mark Clayton was a 1st round pick with 5 years in, you dont give up on a player like that. I hope they give him a chance to return punts. Is $1.809 million to much for a #3 or #4 WR?

The point is you do give up on a guy like that. After 3 yrs they should have cut ties with Clayton. I really do not think he will make cuts.

As unreliable as Clayton was for us over the years, it's not like we had anyone that was better than him. Can you name our #3 receiver from the 2008 AFC Conference Championship game? Terrence Copper. He was signed as a free agent only a few weeks before.

The point is you do give up on a guy like that. After 3 yrs they should have cut ties with Clayton. I really do not think he will make cuts.

That's pure bullshit.

His rookie year, he showed huge promise as the season neared end. His second year was his best (nearly 1,000 yards on only 67 catches). His third year was the "McNair can't throw anymore and Boller has to replace him" year.

You are an absolute liar if you're telling me that Clayton deserved to be/should have been cut after his third season.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I guess your vision is just better than everyone else's.

• Upvote 1