ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Huh?

vmax

WTF?????

The Baltimore Ravens and former St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger reached an agreement on a one-year, $3.8 million deal Wednesday, according to league sources.

The deal also includes incentives that could dramtically boost Bulger's earnings if he plays.

In nine games last season, Bulger completed 140-of-247 passes and had five touchdowns and six interceptions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5320737

This proves that the Ravens are serious about winning this year. Even if Joe gets hurt, like at the end of last season, they are still going for it. It's a bold move. $3.8 million is a lot of money for a backup. Plus it gives Joe someone he can lean on for help. How much do you think Zorn had to do with this decision?

Troy Smith might as well start packing his bags.

Damn I am pumped for this season!!!

This proves that the Ravens are serious about winning this year. Even if Joe gets hurt, like at the end of last season, they are still going for it. It's a bold move. $3.8 million is a lot of money for a backup. Plus it gives Joe someone he can lean on for help. How much do you think Zorn had to do with this decision?

Troy Smith might as well start packing his bags.

Damn I am pumped for this season!!!

That's how I read it faaaaaaq...only Bulger best days are long gone. doesn't he have arm/sholder problems?

At least he has a line, good targets, a running game, great OC....yea....Ozzie wants the whole thing.

Surprising, but think they know whats best.. with all of those old Rams coaches like Matsko, Montgomery and most important Saunders as late as OC in 2008.

oh and 16 former or present probowlers, not even counting pro bowl alternates.. thats even more than the 2000s Ravens.

It's official...

The Ravens agreed to terms with veteran quarterback Marc Bulger on a one-year contract Wednesday, pending a physical. Bulger, 33, should provide the Ravens with a solid veteran backup to compete for the No. 2 job behind Joe Flacco with Troy Smith and John Beck.

After posting a quarterback rating over 92.0 in four of his first five years as a starter, Bulger dropped below 72.0 the last three seasons.

Last year, Bulger suffered a fractured leg in Week 11 and sat out the rest of the season. According to Pro Football Talk, he was scheduled to make $8.5 million in 2010 and he was released in early April.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/06/23/ravens-agree-to-terms-with-qb-bulger/

Thoughts from James Walker...

Although Troy Smith showed occasional flashes, Baltimore didn't have a proven backup behind starting quarterback Joe Flacco. The Ravens have Super Bowl aspirations in 2010, and if Flacco has to miss games due to injury, Baltimore probably feels more comfortable with a veteran who has 95 career starts and two Pro Bowls on his résumé.

But you still wonder what this all means for Smith. He was already not happy with being the No. 2 quarterback in Baltimore. The acquisition of Bulger likely makes Smith the No. 3, emergency quarterback and may eventually leave John Beck as the odd man out.

The Bulger signing also gives the Ravens plenty of collateral in case another team suffers a quarterback injury and would like to work out a deal for Smith this summer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/14276/thoughts-on-bulger-ravens

What can you get for Troy Smith...a 6th round pick?

I love this move. Bulger is a vet who has had a lot of success in this league. He gives Joe another set of eyes to scout the defense. Bulger instantly becomes one of the best backup QBs in the NFL. God forbid something happen to Joe, I would feel very comfortable with Bulger filling in for a few games. Much more so than Troy Smith or John Beck. The contract we gave Bulger (he is making more than Flacco this season according to the Sun) shoes the Bisciotti is serious about winning and will pay whatever it takes to put the best team together. Great move all around.

Goodbye Troy Smith. I am getting tired of his immaturity and never thought he was that great of a QB in the first place. Goodluck trying to start somewhere else.

Bulger is a great signing. His best days may be behind him, but I am not sure - he was pretty let down by some awful St Louis teams.

Meanwhile... he is a proven passing kind of guy. Top 3 in passing stats several times with St Louis. IF we ever need him, I am far more comfortable with him than with our younger guys.

I'm also happy to see him mentor Flacco. Remember the days of Bulger, Holt and Bruce? Here's a guy that teach Flacco how to really make those progressions and find those passes.

why is it that so many are so sure that it is Troy Smith on the way out?

Because, since Troy Smith doesn't want to be the number 2, I'm sure he's not going to want to be the number 3. He did give a pretty good interview this week though. Basically implying he wants to help the team anyway he can. So who knows. I've seen stranger things.