ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Rams pull a Ditka. wow

tsylvester

No they pulled a Dan Snyder. They were on the winning end 4 yrs ago and now they wasted picks to move.

I can almost see their point, almost. They have a very good, young defense, an excellent running back, who is young, a good offensive line, young and a decent, not great, receiving core, young. One could make the argument that they only need a young, good quarterback...

Me, nope, I don't give up that much, their cap in a year or two is going to be a mess with all the talent at positions that will demand high dollar salaries.

The difference in this league between mediocrity and winning Super Bowls is an elite QB. If the guy they pick becomes an elite QB, the Rams will be contenders. Even if they didn't make this move, they'd be drafting in the 15-22 range for the next five years anyways.

I like the risk. On the flip side, the Titans have a chance to be extremely good. They have a young QB with limitless potential, a solid offensive line, and a load of draft picks the next two years. They now have arguably the brightest seven year window of any team in the NFL.

I can almost see their point, almost. They have a very good, young defense, an excellent running back, who is young, a good offensive line, young and a decent, not great, receiving core, young. One could make the argument that they only need a young, good quarterback...

Me, nope, I don't give up that much, their cap in a year or two is going to be a mess with all the talent at positions that will demand high dollar salaries.

Exactly. How long will it take for the QB to be able to really be off an running. By then you will start having to cast off talent bc of the cap. They gave all those picks away so they will not have the cheap talent coming in to replace them.

The difference in this league between mediocrity and winning Super Bowls is an elite QB. If the guy they pick becomes an elite QB, the Rams will be contenders. Even if they didn't make this move, they'd be drafting in the 15-22 range for the next five years anyways.

I like the risk. On the flip side, the Titans have a chance to be extremely good. They have a young QB with limitless potential, a solid offensive line, and a load of draft picks the next two years. They now have arguably the brightest seven year window of any team in the NFL.

Peyton was not elite last yr but they won. There is more than 1 model to buidl a SB team with.

Look at the last ten years and which model has prominently prevailed? Sure, the Broncos won, but similarly built teams such as the Bengals, Cardinals, Chiefs and Vikings have been held back by poor postseason QB play.

And the teams I listed are really the best case scenarios from a talent perspective. How many teams have tried to build a solid defense given they can't get a QB? The Texans wasted nearly a decade drafting in the teens, getting beat up by Manning, all while making heavy investments to develop a pass rush and secondary to stop the Colts.

It's not easy to build an elite defense either. As TS mentioned, salaries increase and it's difficult to retain talent. The Rams got a boatload of picks four years ago and have nothing to show for it in terms of wins. They have already started to lose talented players.

If you have a chance to take a risk on an elite QB prospect, get the QB. If you hit on the QB, your window to contend is ten years. If you miss on the QB, try again in three years. Drafting fifteenth is just as much of a failure as drafting first overall.

Exactly. How long will it take for the QB to be able to really be off an running. By then you will start having to cast off talent bc of the cap. They gave all those picks away so they will not have the cheap talent coming in to replace them.

Peyton was not elite last yr but they won. There is more than 1 model to buidl a SB team with.

pay pay wasn't elite in 2006 and won a SB too, he's one lucky SOB

I hope LA sucks. The way they rolled out on StL they deserve to suck.

The league was very much involved in the move. They have been wanting a team back there since the Rams first left. Not sure why, the draw wont be any better than it was in Arizona.

It was St. Louis's fault for making a bad stadium deal back in the 90s. St. Louis threw in a clause that said the Rams had to have a top half stadium. They lost at arbitration and refused to pay what the arbitrator said would cost to stay compliant with the contract. As TS said, they never should have gotten a team in the first place.

Bottom line: St. Louis will be very appreciative down the road that they didn't spend $400M+ on a stadium to keep the Rams. If Kronke wants to spend $1B of his own money in LA let him. Better than him being forced to spend his own money and accept public subsidies in STL.

And if you think the stadium deal was bad for STL, the deal they made with the practice facility was miserable. Terrible management all around for the city.

These stadiums are a joke to begin with. They are never paid off, tax payers pay the price for their life time. This crap that city's benefit from having a team, financially, is just that, crap.

Any in depth study shows cities lose money, tax payers lose money.

You want to hear about a bad deal, the city of New Orleans had a horrible deal not only paying, in full for the stadium, but also paying millions of dollars each year to the team for them to stay there. This was a few years ago, I am not sure the same deal holds but I would not be surpised if it did.