ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

So I was wondering

papasmurfbell

Where is the big thank you Refs thread? People are always bellyaching about when the Refs screw the Ravens so this week should be the big thank you. The Ray force fumble of the TE who was lifted in the air was huge. No need to stop the play for forward progress. Also the Pick that was made incomplete whne the DB landed on Bouldin instead of the ground. You Bouldin traped his other arm so at min it should have been Off Pass Int. So two saves. Gotta thank them.

Refs have been solid all year with the exception of some ball placements, lack of measuring etc.

But the bills themselves are the ones to blame for pushing the pile, it was a live play until the whistle... they wanted extra yards, we wanted the ball.... we both got what we wanted, thing is... their greed cost them a chance at win #1.

The runner's forward progress toward the opponents' goal line is stopped by contact with an opponent, with little chance to be resumed. The exact moment at which the player's forward progress stops is subject to the judgment of the officials. In particular, for the protection of the quarterback, he is considered down as soon as an official judges that he is in the grasp of an opponent behind the line of scrimmage, and the tackling defensive player(s) will be awarded with a sack. If he is driven backward by the opponent, the ball will be spotted where his forward progress was stopped.

I would say being picked up he had no expectation of advancing. But is we can go back to the old 50-60's NFL rules I am all for it. The rules now suck. That move was very old school.

You know the call probably should have been made by the refs but.... the Bills were throwing themselves into the pile to try and get extra yards on the shove. I think the exact same thing happened in the Auburn LSU game and Auburn got like an extra 6 or 7 yards out of the shove even though the initial forward momentum had been stopped.

The refs normally give it a couple of seconds before they blow the whistle or when the player starts to get pushed backwards. It was a 50/50 call that went our way and some times it is better to be lucky than good!

Papa, I'd only disagree because he actually did start moving forward when lifted... the entire offensive line was behind him pushing him forward. And you know if he came down with the ball falling forward at that point, they would have given him the ball way up wherever he fell... so it is what it is.

I think it was silly that Steve Beuerline was asking for a review of it.

Papa, I'd only disagree because he actually did start moving forward when lifted... the entire offensive line was behind him pushing him forward. And you know if he came down with the ball falling forward at that point, they would have given him the ball way up wherever he fell... so it is what it is.

I think it was silly that Steve Beuerline was asking for a review of it.

By rule of physics he was not moving forward. The people who had him picked up where moving forward (by ol help or not) he was along for the ride.

By rule of physics he was not moving forward. The people who had him picked up where moving forward (by ol help or not) he was along for the ride.

That still means he's moving forward. And, technically, you're wrong regarding the physics of it anyway (regardless of the direction of force an object exerts, the end result of motion is his affected movement).

Let's put it this way...

Should the whistle have been blown? Absolutely.

Was it a "bad call" or a "wrong call?" Absolutely not.

If they had done it, you'd see no complaining. But they were a half-second slow... and that's how it goes sometimes.

I am just saying if it had been done to say Pitta people here would be going nuts. It has happened several times over the yrs.

Eh. You hold onto the ball until you hit the ground or until the whistle blows (hopefully the latter). The ball is your responsibility until that happens.

I'm with Papa on this one. This makes two games that we probably would not have won with some questionable calls by the refs. The Bills game and the Jets game. On the flip side, they screwed us out of a win in Cinci. It's kind of scary how a few borderline calls can shape a season.

By the way, we will never, NEVER get a call like the Stealers got in their game. You want to talk about changing the outcome of the game... Steelers should be 5-2

By the way, we will never, NEVER get a call like the Stealers got in their game. You want to talk about changing the outcome of the game... Steelers should be 5-2

It was a rule, it was the correct call, we might not like it caus the Stealers were involved, but it was the correct call.

The Fins got the ball back with 2 minutes left with a chance to win the game, they failed..

It was a rule, it was the correct call, we might not like it caus the Stealers were involved, but it was the correct call.

The problem is not that the refs made the correct call, the problem is the inability of the refs to identify who recovered the fumble in the first place when the play was active on the field.

It was the correct call, but the officials didn't do their job when they should have earlier... namely, if one official is putting his hands up for a TD, but the ball is loose on the ground, the other officials should probably bother to sort out who has the ball in the pile. That's common sense. It's done on most every other play.

And if the rule says "we have to know who had it" ... then what's the harm in sorting out the pile? They all just ignored it because one official called it a TD - and you have to expect it to be controversial or challenged if the ball came out.

Look...we all know the refs are on the Stealers payroll. What wasn't a touchdown they called a touchdown. Then that's questioned so they had to find a way to salvage the situation. The Dolphin player clearly falls on the ball....later emerges with it but they found a way to make a call I've never witnessed in my life..."OH! We don't know who had possesion of the ball!".

"Sorry! You can't take a knee Dolphins."

59201_429630736235_560636235_4840152_5322086_n.jpg

Edited by vmax

I just don't get... on so many close TDs, we see the officials meet and discuss and sort out the details... even after one official has 'signaled' TD. They did it to Joe in the Denver game (quite correctly).

But on a close play where the ball comes out at the goalline, there's no discussion or "sorting out" or what happened?

I'm not even claiming Steeler bias - I'm just saying it was an entirely different situation than an official not calling a "no forward progress"