ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Saints Game

vmax

The Saints have a better defense and offense than the Ravens. They attack for 60 minutes.

New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton said he likes to "blitz the defense" with his offense and that's exactly what he did to the St. Louis Rams on Sunday.

From the opening snap, the Saints seemed to stun the Rams with an aggressive, balanced, up-tempo attack.

The Saints used six different personnel groupings on their first six plays. They alternated backs and receivers on almost every down. By the eighth snap, all 12 skill-position players had been on the field for at least one play.

....Gregg Williams pressured more than normal in this game, which is saying something. The Saints came after Bradford with a variety of pressures, many off the right side. Later in the game, as the Saints built a large lead, Williams sent safeties Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper on blitzes seemingly at will. The Saints finished with three sacks (one by Harper and another by linebacker Jon Vilma), eight quarterback hits and a forced fumble. "I thought that aspect of the game was important with regards to what quarterback was going to be in duress and which one wasn't," Payton said.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2010/12/rams-saints_film_study_the_new.html

The only thing the Ravens haven't done this season is get blown out...and I can see that comming Sunday. That's my read on the way things have been going.

I think we've seen the Ravens best football. I think the players have a ton of pride and will give everything to win this game. There is still a ton of talent on this team. They will show up ready to win. They won't quit....and neither will I in supporting them. I'll be out there yelling my face off...and I'm not going to curse them because the players are giving their all in my opinion.

I just think it's too late to turn this trend around and get better.

The Saints have a better defense and offense than the Ravens. They attack for 60 minutes.

The only thing the Ravens haven't done this season is get blown out...and I can see that comming Sunday. That's my read on the way things have been going.

I think we've seen the Ravens best football. I think the players have a ton of pride and will give everything to win this game. There is still a ton of talent on this team. They will show up ready to win. They won't quit....and neither will I in supporting them. I'll be out there yelling my face off...and I'm not going to curse them because the players are giving their all in my opinion.

I just think it's too late to turn this trend around and get better.

Max,

Sobering thoughts. We are just a pretty good team that is marginally playoff worthy - we'll see after Bengals game. Regardless, like many playoff teams we have holes. But we have many, many holes - no pash rush (outside of Suggs), weakening run D, horrible OL, disfunctional offense and queswtionable playcalling. Oh, and our D has reverted back to tackling the football, guys' helmets, etc., instead of just wrapping up.

My point, we are a bordeline playoff team that, if it wakes up, could make it in. The team wont go far because the above deficiencies will rear their ugly heads, most certainly on Sunday against a better, more complete team. This ship cannot be turned around in a week or two.

Still, what the hell, if we make the playoffs, that would be 3 years in a row. For that, we can be thankful and fortunate to watch a team in the postseason. Not a lot of fans can say that. And we have a very good young QB with a promising future.

Along the lines of this, I hope that Ozzie doesn't spend like crazy going after free agents. We don't need em, we should do our best to be trading down in the draft and securing more picks in lower rounds as well as future picks. We have some aging talent let's ensure multiple first round picks in 2-3 years from now.

I agree Max, this team has peaked, and I don't think it's the result of the players not being talented enough. I think the coordinators have let the players down. We definitely need a new D coordinator. There's not excuse for calling the same defense the entire second half and watching the other team stroll 90 yards twice. I'm not sure on the O coordinator. I wanna like him, but I'm just not sure he's committed to Flacco or this team. I feel like he's just looking for his next head job and getting frustrated by what's not happening here for him.

Teams are taking us apart via the pass because our offense cannot sustain drives because we cannot run the ball. It is obvious how much stronger our pass defense is in the first half than the fourth quarter. The pass rush is stronger as well. The defense just gets too tired. In my opinion, the talent is there on the back-end. Webb and Wilson are solid players and had Andre Johnson shutdown in the first three quarters (save for the long pass at the end of the first half that Reed should have picked off). Same with how they shutdown Mike Wallace. If the offense could sustain drives, the defense would be much better. And when we do score, we score quickly.

I'm predicting a win this Sunday. It is no fluke that we have had the lead in 12 out of 13 games going into the fourth quarter this season. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this week.

I'm predicting a win this Sunday. It is no fluke that we have had the lead in 12 out of 13 games going into the fourth quarter this season. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this week.

Attaboy!!!

Im not worried one bit this weekend, we're a different team at home.

The Saints win the matchups on offense and defense. Ravens win special teams. The Saints can't run but they don't need to after watching the Texans march up and down the field. I just think it's too lopsided of a match up for this Ravens team to overcome given the productivity we have seen.

Now...I do not see the Ravens getting better but that doesn't mean they are not a good team that can do damage. Like I said, "There's no quit in this dog."

They will make the playoffs and can handle the Chiefs or Jags...if those two make it. The Chargers could win out and the Colts are still alive.

...and I'm loving this organization for keeping their team in the hunt year after year.

Funny...I'm in that mode when you have a losing season. I evaluate the players as to 'who to keep and who to let go'.

Coaches too.

I'm looking for that solid core to build around. It's there. This team does have a spine.

The Saints win the matchups on offense and defense. Ravens win special teams. The Saints can't run but they don't need to after watching the Texans march up and down the field. I just think it's too lopsided of a match up for this Ravens team to overcome given the productivity we have seen.

Now...I do not see the Ravens getting better but that doesn't mean they are not a good team that can do damage. Like I said, "There's no quit in this dog."

They will make the playoffs and can handle the Chiefs or Jags...if those two make it. The Chargers could win out and the Colts are still alive.

...and I'm loving this organization for keeping their team in the hunt year after year.

Funny...I'm in that mode when you have a losing season. I evaluate the players as to 'who to keep and who to let go'.

Coaches too.

I'm looking for that solid core to build around. It's there. This team does have a spine.

Max, I couldnt agree more. There is a solid core here - its just needs to be continually tweaked and improved. The loss of Gaither, Foxworth and Kindle really hurt. Tough for any organization to overcome. We cannot ignore the holes any more - CB, LT, S, LB, DT/Pass Rusher. Gotta do it; gotta replace Ray and Ed. NE is primed for another long term run; gotta follow their lead and overcome them - Skirt Man/Justin Beiber only has a couple years left.

Rest of this year: I am not expecting anything; if we go 1 and done, so be it. If we go further, great !

I have watched the Saints ever game for the past two years. I believe we match up very well against them. This WILL NOT be a blow out. As long as we don't turn the ball over, I love our chances at winning. This is the same Saints team that got blown out by the Browns, lost to the Cardinals, and barely beat the Bengals and Cowboys. The Saints have just as many inconsistencies, weaknesses, and imperfections as we do. You guys are going to be surprised, watch.

I have watched the Saints ever game for the past two years. I believe we match up very well against them. This WILL NOT be a blow out. As long as we don't turn the ball over, I love our chances at winning. This is the same Saints team that got blown out by the Browns, lost to the Cardinals, and barely beat the Bengals and Cowboys. The Saints have just as many inconsistencies, weaknesses, and imperfections as we do. You guys are going to be surprised, watch.

I trust you cleetz! :)

It will be great to be surprised. I'll be giving 110% win or lose. The Sunday night game showed me my flaws in cold weather gear. I'll be ready.

Maybe after seeing their flaws the Ravens will be too.

I trust you cleetz! :)

It will be great to be surprised. I'll be giving 110% win or lose. The Sunday night game showed me my flaws in cold weather gear. I'll be ready.

Maybe after seeing their flaws the Ravens will be too.

Max,

Better you than me w/ the cold weather gear. Im still thawing out "my gear" from the Steelers game.

I hope you and Cleetz are right on your hunches. Im still not seeing it. Anyway, Enjoy !

VARAVEN

Max,

Better you than me w/ the cold weather gear. Im still thawing out "my gear" from the Steelers game.

I hope you and Cleetz are right on your hunches. Im still not seeing it. Anyway, Enjoy !

VARAVEN

Cleetz says the Ravens have a good shot to win and I say "No shot"....but I'd like to be surprised... :)

That was a cold 4th quarter va...in more ways than one.

:thumbup: co-signed.

Guest BallTMore

Toastietoes- Foot warmers. Place them on the bottom of your sock. Put another sock on over them. The best foot warmer I've used. Worked great!

Thermacare Heat Wraps- Get the lower back, and upper back warmers. Put both on before heading to the game.

My sister and I were surprisingly comfortable and warm through most of the game. The Steelers final score was the only thing that really sent a chill up my spine that night. :nono:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/nflpreview?gameId=301219033

I really have bad feelings about this game, but then I remember how the #52 led ravens normally respond after being called out for bad defensive performances, like Schlereth and Golic did "on blast" in the video that accompanies the preview article; maybe the Pride will take effect and our new-found secondary stars will help in coverage so Suggs and Johnson and Ngata can do their thing. Anyway I think they'll be better against the Saints than they were against the Texans. How much better, is the question...

Here’s the thing about the Saints, they thrive on turnovers. When they win the turnover battle, they win the game, simple as that. Their defense last season was a classic bend, but don’t break defense that caused turnovers when the team most needed it. And when they get turnovers, the offense almost always capitalizes. We are lucky this is a home game, because this team truly feeds off of the energy in the dome and it is almost impossible to stop their momentum once they get it. I have never seen fans live for a team like people in Louisiana live for the Saints.

The Saints in their three losses have had a give away/take away of -9 (2-11 in three games, which includes loses to the Browns and Cardinals). In their 10 wins their give away/take away has been only a +3, which explains why the Saints have been in a lot of close contests with some bad teams (does that sound familiar?). This is a big change from last season when the Saints were tied for third in the league last year with a +11 differential. So the key to beating the Saints is winning the turnover battle.

If we win the turnover battle we very much have a chance at winning the game. If we start giving the Saints the ball on dumb turnovers, they will kill us, and like Max said, this could get ugly. As stated in that article Max posted, Gregg Williams is a VERY aggressive coordinator. He will blitz all game. With the Saints defense there are lots of opportunities for big plays. Williams’ philosophy is if he keeps blitzing he is eventually going to force the QB to throw an INT or get a fumble on a sack. That’s how they won the Super Bowl last season.

On offense the way to get to Brees is to crash the pocket. Sean Payton’s system is perfect for Brees, it allows his to get deep drops with lots of room to see over the line and step into his throws. If you can break the pocket up the middle, Brees will have trouble seeing receivers and stepping into his throws, and this is where his INTs come from. No pressure and Brees will tear us apart. Ngata must have a big game on Sunday collapsing that pocket.

Toastietoes- Foot warmers. Place them on the bottom of your sock. Put another sock on over them. The best foot warmer I've used. Worked great!

Thermacare Heat Wraps- Get the lower back, and upper back warmers. Put both on before heading to the game.

My sister and I were surprisingly comfortable and warm through most of the game. The Steelers final score was the only thing that really sent a chill up my spine that night. nono.gif

JackDanielsWeb__55368_zoom__25158_zoom.jpg