ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

OK then, Ok symbol is now hate speech

tsylvester

I hate very little, in fact bout the only thing I hate are oinions and the word hate. But now I hate the ADL, seriously...

The "OK" hand gesture is now a hate symbol, according to a new report by the Anti-Defamation League.

The ADL added that symbol along with several others on Thursday to its long-standing database of slogans and symbols used by extremists.

The finger-and-thumb OK sign is universally known for meaning everything is all right or approval of something. But the ADL says while not everyone means it to be hateful, the sign has been co-opted by the alt-right.

The OK hand gesture and its link to white nationalism began as a hoax cooked up by users of the website 4chan, who falsely linked it to white supremacy, according to the ADL.

"At least some white supremacists seem to have abandoned the ironic or satiric intent behind the original trolling campaign and used the symbol as a sincere expression of white supremacy," the ADL posted in its report.

Some white supremacist groups, some black, hispanic, chinese hate groups eat oreos too, are we gonna ban then too? Cuz dems fight'n words especially the golden oreos..

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/09/26/us/adl-new-hate-symbols/index.html

So, if you saw me in public, or remember what I look like when we used to meet at tailgates, shaved head, goatee, and I flash an ok sign to say, you, who had a shaved head, across the parking lot, who wanted me to bring him a beer, someone might think we were white supremacist.

And the fight might ensue... The defendents now might get out of the hospital and have no charges filed because after all, we were flashing hate speech....

So, if you saw me in public, or remember what I look like when we used to meet at tailgates, shaved head, goatee, and I flash an ok sign to say, you, who had a shaved head, across the parking lot, who wanted me to bring him a beer, someone might think we were white supremacist.

And the fight might ensue... The defendents now might get out of the hospital and have no charges filed because after all, we were flashing hate speech....

But that is not the intent.

DSOQXStXcAAMnlT.jpg

1*SUlZROYKqnrn1m4iUFAtpA.jpeg

DmSz6IFUwAAmUy_.0.jpg

When you are trying to hide its use by either doing it in the middle of a bunch of ppl or just having it backwards and done nonchalantly then that is the intent I was talking about.

On the other hand, pun intended, she could be picking her thumb out of anxiety, you know what they say about assuming....

Don't judge a book by its cover, people used to say, now they claim abuse every day.

When I was a college student, we used to make weird hand signals during pictures being taken, not knowing some of them could be taken 30 years later as a symbol of gang relations. We were stoners having fun...

This world today looks for snakes under every rock rather than just enjoying the sight of the rock and not disturbing the life that lives underneath.

Oh I get it papa, I'm just having conversation here, these are just "signs" a person may, might, could be in a gang or hate group. It is all just info that some groups use certain signs, color of clothes to communicate wifh each other in public, in secret.

I get it, but I hope my point came across as well. People do innocent things for various reasons but appear to be evil to those not in the know.

I do it often than more, mostly because I want to make sure when someone says; excuse me, when they don't realize they have walked in front me, or about to walk into me. I say, it is all right or no problem and want to make sure they hear me by also using hand signals. I just want to reassure them I understand they just didn't see me. Some days I have my invisible cloak on it seems.

Like when I ask for 2 or three from a cashier or wait person, I put up 2 or 3 fingers. It is just a habbit of mine, becuase some have trouble of hearing me, I don't speak loudly very often.

The Zingers are idiots, plain & simple. Sure, maybe the person playing the character had intent, but, without knowing for sure, they should have let their autistic child used the photo, they should just take it on faith that it was a character being funny with photos

Now, it depends on the level of understanding the child has. My son has autism, he would not, cannot understand the concept of race nor of gestures.

Since the guy was fired, case closed. Why hire a lawyer? Oh, the parks' lawyer contacted you; you don't want money, you don't want the gift card nor free tickets, he has been fired, what freaking more do you want?

It is not against the law, it is only an issue because you made it one.

Know how many times I hold my breath when people use the term retard? Short bus, etc when discribing or trying to insult someone, especially on line?

Guess what, it is up to me to be offended by their use of those words, those gestures.

How do we know he did it with the intent to be "slick" or shall we say, to send a certaint message?

Again, maybe he was just trying to be "cute", just because he got fired, does not mean he had the bad intent. He got fired because they complained.

They easily could have, I would have for my kids at that young age, just shrugged it off and let the kid have a picture with their "hero" signing "everything will be okay".

But they chose to break the kid's heart by telling their child that sign is not right to use... Seems petty to me.

Peace sign behind someone's head when taking a picture- bunny ears. People do silly things in pictures- photo bomb...

Intent- proving what is in a person's heart & on their mind.

Only by reviewing their past and present can we possibly have a clue, even then, people do change.

Sure, he might have done it with bad intent, I grant you, but you & I have no idea nor do the Zingers.

Shoot, really? My siblings & I used to use them on our eyes to simulate funny glasses. I did the same with my kids, nephews, nieces, friends children etc

I am sure we are not the only non gang, hate group to do so. I can go through an entire list of ways the ok sign has been used by me and many more people for silly, funny stuff.

As I said, I know some use it for the intent as described by hate groups.

However, what are we going to do, ban everything they decide to commandeer that once was used by millions for fun?

One way to stand up against bullies, hate groups is to not give in, in this instance to not let them have it.

Know how many times I hold my breath when people use the term retard? Short bus, etc when discribing or trying to insult someone, especially on line?

Guess what, it is up to me to be offended by their use of those words, those gestures.

If they are using is generally then I understand not letting it bug you. If is directed specifically at someone or to bother someone then its far more bothersome. (to me at least)

Looking at that picture I see no way that was done innocently or playfully. Its a strange pose. A purposeful one,