ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Salary cap goes up to $201.2 m

tsylvester

Not just the qb either though. Take the pass rushers & their price.... Ouch is it getting teams in cap trouble.

We might start to see, if the Ravens win the Super Bowl, or say Tennessee does, that rent a qb like rent a runningback has become.

Lamar might stay healthy, if he does and progresses as we expect & hope, what will be his number in 3-4 years? $200 mil guarenteed? Left tackles are also up high, shutown corners, ....

It used to be get a qb, a left tackle and an edge rusher and fill the rest in. Not any more with these prices.

They have to go to some type of exclusion, the cap just isn't rising fast enough.

I would like to see a league base pay and incentives pay structure.  That is what I think would be the best for the game.  It would eliminate the paycheck players.  That would be so hard to get with the nflpa.  One thing I would like as an exception to what they have now is something like the Larry Bird exception.  Any player that is drafted/signed as an un drafted fa can have a portion of their salary exempted from the cap. It starts at say yr 6.  It could start at maybe .5 percent.  Every yr after that the exemption increases by a half percent.  This would give a team that developers some breathing room.  Also if a team really wants a guy they will have to go top shelf to get him.

i do agree there are a few really highly paid positions but when you have a qb eating a quarter of the cap that leaves so little for the rest of the team.

btw I would like to see a coaches cap also.

• 3 months later...

Well Shefty was wrong,

L

In the aftermath of NFL players voting to pass a new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL Management Council has informed team officials that the salary cap will be $198.2 million per club for the upcoming 2020 season, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported per sources informed of the situation.

Overall player costs per franchise are $242.9 million, which comes to $198.2 million on the salary cap and $44.7 million in benefits and performance-based pay, Pelissero added.