ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I like this idea

papasmurfbell

This idea come from Dale in Rosedale who calls in on NST.

Let McGahee walk. Resign McClain to take that spot. He is also part time FB. Also you draft another FB that is in the mauler mold like Lorenzo Neal.

This way you can get the best out of McClain.

Certainly an interesting idea, I like it. However, be prepared to pay McClain Leonard Weaver-type money, or more. Weaver got 3-years, $11 million with $6.5 million in guaranteed money (with incentives to $11.7 million). At least $3.67 million a year for a part-time fullback, back-up running back, what do you think? I think it would be worth it.

Guest BallTMore

Mark me down as liking this idea too.

I thought about this earlier in the season. Ray Rice is still the primary, Ley-Ron is the short yardage/4th qtr back. Make it happen, Oz.

This is fantasyland so I am Against. Let McClain go, that Ovie Mughelli deal 30 mill four years ago.. Ovie had no PB at that time.. So what would that be now 40-50-60 mill? Hell no and not really a fan of his last offseason and his play this season.

We need so much more like a Santonio Holmes, LT, passrusher, ILB, safety and CB. Draft will not take care of all of those answers.

First priority however we need to resign Ngata and later Flacco.

And next year I am not even sure if is good business to resign Rice, tag him one year and then let him go.. And draft new RBs.

This is fantasyland so I am Against. Let McClain go, that Ovie Mughelli deal 30 mill four years ago.. Ovie had no PB at that time.. So what would that be now 40-50-60 mill? Hell no and not really a fan of his last offseason and his play this season.

Mughelli only got 6-years, $18 million with a $5 million signing bonus. The deal Weaver got was the highest for a FB in league history. Still, I understand your point.

I think we've already witnessed McClain's best rushing days. Those are behind him in my opinion. If McClain was ready to be a back up and split carries he would have busted a few this year. McClain is a very good FB, one who can catch which is always a plus, however we have far greater needs than FB. let him walk. If we can resign Willis for a resonable contract we should do so because Willis can legitimately carry the load at RB if called upon to do so.

I love McClain, but umless he comes cheap, lets continue to get younger.

Willis had the 4th highest RB contract for being a backup. He has been a total bust of a trade and sign. McClain has not had a shot at carrying the ball for 2 seasons. If they would give it to him he can do something with it. He could be like Tom Rathman.

He's had the opportunity this year and done nothing with it. I really don't want to get into the whole Jamal, give me the ball more and evenutally I'll gain yards thing. McClain is a FB now, he's not a ball carrier. He had plenty of rushes this year to prove it.

McClaim hasn't been a rusher since HS. McClain even said when he came to the Ravens he was very surprised that he was running the ball. That same year, the McClain in the second half of the year was no where near as good as the McClain in the beginning of the year. He hasn't been the same rusher since. He's a blocker. I'm all for competition in camp, but if he doesn't bring it there, then it's time to move on. McGahee is still a solid back up. I agree we've paid him alot, however he's here and he's a great option as a second back.

McClaim hasn't been a rusher since HS. McClain even said when he came to the Ravens he was very surprised that he was running the ball. That same year, the McClain in the second half of the year was no where near as good as the McClain in the beginning of the year. He hasn't been the same rusher since. He's a blocker. I'm all for competition in camp, but if he doesn't bring it there, then it's time to move on. McGahee is still a solid back up. I agree we've paid him alot, however he's here and he's a great option as a second back.

True. When we used McClain either McGahee or Rice helped him. And yes McGahee is expensive, but he should also be ready and not over-used.

If Rice is hurt next year..

What would you prefere? a) McGahee, Parmele and a FB or b) McClain, Parmele and a FB.

I've been pitching this idea all year, but yeah, go radio guy. The only thing I've always asked, and noone has been able to answer this, is that is McGahees contract up? Or can we cut him without experiencing cap havoc? If neither is true, then the idea has no basis.

I've been pitching this idea all year, but yeah, go radio guy. The only thing I've always asked, and noone has been able to answer this, is that is McGahees contract up? Or can we cut him without experiencing cap havoc? If neither is true, then the idea has no basis.

I think nobody really knows, and if we are working under the 2010 rules.. and FA.. does it come after the draft, how many or any games will they play and so on?

I bet Ozzie is not going to do much until they know more.

I believe Willis has a yr left. Ialso understand it is for about $6mil. Theere is noway they will have him around at that number. If Willis comes back he would have to take a pay cut. The question is will he.

Oh it is worse..from yahoo..signed a new six-year contract extension worth more than $32 million. Agent Drew Rosenhaus confirmed the deal, which included $15 million in guarantees. That guarantee comes in the form of a $7.5 million signing bonus McGahee will be paid now and guaranteed option bonuses of $6 million in 2008 and $1.5 million in 2009. Beyond that, McGahee receives base salaries of $595,000 in 2007 (final year of original deal), $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012 and $7.2 million in 2013.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-mcgaheeupdate030807

Oh it is worse..from yahoo..signed a new six-year contract extension worth more than $32 million. Agent Drew Rosenhaus confirmed the deal, which included $15 million in guarantees. That guarantee comes in the form of a $7.5 million signing bonus McGahee will be paid now and guaranteed option bonuses of $6 million in 2008 and $1.5 million in 2009. Beyond that, McGahee receives base salaries of $595,000 in 2007 (final year of original deal), $605,000 in 2008, $620,000 in 2009, $3.6 million in 2010, $6 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2012 and $7.2 million in 2013.

http://sports.yahoo....heeupdate030807

But the guarantees are this:

2007: $7.5 million signing bonus

2008: $6.0 million guaranteed option bonus

2009: $1.5 million guaranteed option bonus

That equals the $15 million guaranteed. What you've bolded isn't the guaranteed money, so I don't believe the Ravens are on the hook for it yet.

I say get younger at this position. Fresher legs, more power, speed...neither Willie nor McClain has a burst or 2nd gear left.

The Ravens have a serious #1weapon in Rice so they can afford to draft some young studs in the middle rounds to develop, back up, and spell Ray.

Got to get younger.

I say get younger at this position. Fresher legs, more power, speed...neither Willie nor McClain has a burst or 2nd gear left.

The Ravens have a serious #1weapon in Rice so they can afford to draft some young studs in the middle rounds to develop, back up, and spell Ray.

Got to get younger.

Exactly, McClain doesn't have that burst that he had that first year. He lost it by the end of that first year, that's why we began to go to Rice more often. I advocated keeping Willis because he was already under contract, however if we have to pay him a huge bonus, we can't justify that.

Rb's are a dime a dozen. You can find really solid ones in the late rounds. If you do draft a guy like Vai Taua, Matt Asiata, Baron Batch, Alex Green , or Allen Bradford.

At FB they could go Owen Marecic who I really like or Henry Hynoski.

BTW

I find Dale funny. He has quick barbs he throws out at people. He also really knows his sports.