ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Sun: Ravens will cut McGahee

OutsideRzAcE

The Ravens need to be careful in the way they handle backup running back Willis McGahee during the offseason.

According to an NFL source, the Ravens decided at their recent evaluation meetings not to bring McGahee and his $6 million in base salary back for the 2011 season.

McGahee is under contract to the Ravens for 2011, but 2012 ($6.5 million base salary) and 2013 ($7.2) are option years, according to the seven-year contract he signed in 2007

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-column-0222-20110221,0,4158596.column

Basically Preston says they play to cut him because his salary will be too high next year for the position he holds. He thinks the Ravens will try to bring him back at a cheaper price, but obviously this opens the door for other teams to take a run at him.

I don't think there are any teams out there waiting to hand McGahee a starting job - not at this point in his career. We'll have to see what happens

Basically Preston says they play to cut him because his salary will be too high next year for the position he holds. He thinks the Ravens will try to bring him back at a cheaper price, but obviously this opens the door for other teams to take a run at him.

I don't think there are any teams out there waiting to hand McGahee a starting job - not at this point in his career. We'll have to see what happens

You remember Jamal Lewis? Willis is better right now then Jamal was when he left....and even he found a home in cleveland. Speaking of cleveland, they historically snatch up Raven table scraps. Willis will find more carries elsewhere, easily.

I trust Ozzie and Co have a good plan. If McGahee goes (for good), we should resign McClain. If both walk,however, that could be a positive by giving us an opportunity to bring in a "hammer" - which we havent had since JLew. Yes, much of our running deficiencies are OL (the Gaither effect) related, but we have missed a smashmouth runner for at least a few years.

We dont & I repeat we dont need another scatback - Sproles or another might mite. We need a bonafide backfield with some strength, power, speed and durability. Rice gives us some power and speed. We need some strength and durability to pound the dang rock and win games in the 4th Quarter. Plus, we need to better protect Joe w/ a better running game.

If I were GM :scared:, I would keep either Willis or LeRon and pick up a young power runner - a "hammer" - via draft or FA.

:gorave:

Rb's are a dime a dozen. You can find really solid ones in the late rounds. If you do draft a guy like Vai Taua, Matt Asiata, Baron Batch, Alex Green , or Allen Bradford.

At FB they could go Owen Marecic who I really like or Henry Hynoski.

BTW

I find Dale funny. He has quick barbs he throws out at people. He also really knows his sports.

If you are looking for the hammer these are guys I like later in the draft.

If you are looking for the hammer these are guys I like later in the draft.

McGahee's age and salary are going to get him cut---but the Ravens still have a good shot at bringing him back at a lower cost when he becomes a free agent, if they want him.

I'd rather have McLain back to block for Ray Rice and Flacco.

Harbaugh likes him...

Willis McGahee can play. I really like him a lot. I think he’s a good person, a hard worker. He’s a leader on our team,” said Harbaugh. ”I’m a big fan of Willis McGahee. I have my fingers crossed for a lot of guys, and he’d be one of them.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/02/24/harbaugh-crossing-fingers-for-mcgahee-return/

I'd like to see him back at the right price if they can't get a power runner in the draft.

Harbs isn't going to sit there and say he sucks. Yes right price. The question is what a backup RB price is here vs maybe a starting rb somewhere else.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really think that McGahee has found a home here. I don't think he's interested in going anywhere else, even if it means starting. I think he's embraced his role here and wants to stay and win. Just a hunch, honestly not a whole lot to base that on except some of the things he's said and some of the things the coaches have said.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really think that McGahee has found a home here. I don't think he's interested in going anywhere else, even if it means starting. I think he's embraced his role here and wants to stay and win. Just a hunch, honestly not a whole lot to base that on except some of the things he's said and some of the things the coaches have said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/07/agent-confirms-that-willis-mcgahee-is-unlikely-to-take-pay-cut/

Agent confirms that Willis McGahee is unlikely to take pay cut

There has been some debate regarding what will happen to running back Willis McGahee in Baltimore after a new collective bargaining agreement is reached.

McGahee’s camp has a clear expectation of how things will unfold.

“We don’t expect to be back unless they’ll pay him his contract,” McGahee’s agent Drew Rosenhaus said on Sports Xtra in Miami Sunday night, via Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

That quote indicates McGahee’s camp isn’t interested in a renegotiated contract before testing free agency. The Ravens aren’t expected to pay McGahee $6 million to be a backup next year, although a league source told PFT last month no decision has been made on that front.

I think it is easier going to a new team taking a pay-cut than staying where you are doing the same.

Maybe...but you'd think he learned from his Bufallo experience.

Also, while the statement the agent made refutes my comment about him finding a home, it's still an "agents" statement. They're in it for one thing, capital gain. They're going to say and do whatever appears to increase their own leverage. Of course Drew would say that. What agent says, my goal is to get my client a contract more appropriate to his position on the team, he's being paid too much!.

Now, what I hope, and what I'm feeling is very different right now.

I hope Willis feels the way that I've stated before, because he's a great number 2 in the 1-2 punch we have here.

I'm feeling that Willis isn't smart enough to realize when his agent is duping him. Willis probably believes, as a result of his own pride or lack of self evaluation, that he's a Ribeye, when in actuality he's more of a London Broil. You see London Broil is good once in awhile, when cooked properly. Ribeye, (Ray Rice) is always good, cooked anyway you like it!

Oh yeah, how's that for an analogy!

It's ok, we should probably find someone in the draft for back RB anyway.

• Upvote 1