ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

2021 Ravens Defense

vmax

The ranking projection from CBS has the 2021 Ravens defense at #4. I'm not so sure due to the young parts and the ageing parts.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Yes, they let Matt Judon walk in free agency. No, they still have not really replaced the top-end talent of Earl Thomas at safety after releasing him last offseason. But this was a top-10 unit last year (seventh in yards, second in points, ninth in DVOA), Don Martindale is one of the best defensive coordinators in the league, and the Ravens are still absolutely stacked everywhere. Calais Campbell, Derek Wolfe, and Brandon Williams up front. Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison up the middle. Marcus Peters, Marlon Humphrey, Jimmy Smith, and Tavon Young at corner. DeShon Elliott and Chuck Clark at safety. Oh, and they added Odafe Oweh and Daelin Hayes in the draft to supplement Pernell McPhee and Tyus Bowser on the edge. They drafted Shaun Wade -- one of the nation's best slot corners in 2019 before he got torched as an outside corner in 2020 -- in the fifth round and landed diminutive ball-hawk Ad'Darius Washington as an undrafted free agent. Once again, this should be a high-floor, high-ceiling unit. ....Ranking NFL's top 10 defenses for 2021: Hail to the Football Team, with Bucs and Browns not far behind - CBSSports.com

I think Queen was simply Ok as a rookie. Not Outstanding. Then again after watching this guy for decades, the eye ball comparison is not fair. Image result for ray lewis ravens photos

He needs to get a little meaner...Image result for ray lewis ravens photos....I mean Meaner son..Image result for patrick queen ravens photos...find your game face..

Hit like this a little more..image.jpeg.6549a851e56cbf6367ef2b81e70837b3.jpegImage result for Ray Lewis TackleSee the source image

Yesterday Bowser was the face of the linebacking corps being interviewed. I love Bowser. So does Wilkins...

“He’s become a really dominant edge setter in the run game, which is always step No. 1 for our guys,” Wilkins said in a virtual news conference Wednesday, after the Ravens’ second open practice of OTAs. “And then, you guys saw it, he’s great in coverage, and it’s not just the plays on the ball, because he has tremendous ball skills — he’s at an elite level there — but what he does that you may not always see is he takes away the open underneath routes or the guy going to the flat. Now that quarterback has to hold the ball for an extra second, and you see the production that comes with that.

“He’s also a really dynamic and dangerous pass rusher for us that can really move across the front. … It’s a great piece for Wink to use on third down, because you know how creative Wink is; he’ll put him anywhere. He’ll put him at nose tackle, he’ll line him up like he’s a safety and blitz him. So, it really is a great, versatile weapon for us, and our defense.”

The Ravens need Bowser...Image result for bowser photos..

Back to Queen. Take the stage young man! Image result for patrick queen ravens photos

On second thought...Ferguson, Board, Odefeh, Harrison, and Bowser all need to play a tad more physical and pissed off.

There were glimpses last year of a defensive prideful unit...........please carry on this year. :gorave:

b966997a-92d4-4371-b030-50174474df67.png

Edited by vmax

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting good vibes on the D's performance at camp. The secondary looks very deep and talented and you can neve have too much of that. Very intrigued by Oweh's comparison to Adelious Thomas, I think he'll be a surprise steal like Orlando Brown was. Wink is not worrying about his pass rush. He's got the dog.

BALTIMORE RAVENS

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 5
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 8
2020 Base Coverage:  Cover 1
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Blitz and play cover 1

At this point, we know who the Ravens are under defensive coordinator Wink Martindale: They are going to blitz every chance they get and play man coverage on the back end.

The Ravens are exceptional at finding weaknesses in protection and getting free rushers while they play tight man coverage behind it. Last season, only one team played more man-coverage snaps where at least one receiver was pressed (231 snaps). And although they only ranked 16th league-wide in EPA allowed per play when they did that in 2020, they were second in the same metric during the 2019 regular season.

Over the past two seasons, Baltimore has created unblocked pressure on 177 snaps, 37 more than the next best squad over that span....Defensive scheme analysis for all 32 NFL teams | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

• 2 weeks later...

The Ravens have several veterans back on a defense that allowed the NFL’s second-fewest points (18.9) and seventh-fewest yards (329.8) per game. Baltimore also owned the No. 2 third-down defense (34.0%) and produced a league-high 25 forced fumbles.....Lamar Jackson Lauds the Ravens ... Defense (msn.com)

They will be better this year...for sure.:gorave:

"We’ve got DeShon [Elliott], ‘Marlo’ [Marlon Humphrey], ‘MP’ [Marcus Peters]. We’ve got [Pernell] McPhee, Calais [Campbell] – those guys – Brandon [Williams]," Jackson said. "We’ve got a lot of vets [veterans] and stuff coming back, and we’ve got great young guys coming in. I just can’t wait to get after it. I’m tired of seeing our defense already because they’re flying around. 

"They’re making us compete against them, and it’s going to be, I feel, easier during the game, a lot. But they’re doing a great job right now for us.”