ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game 1...

millz58

Guthrie had a great start, 8 shutout innings, changed speeds well, pretty confident against a 'stacked' lineup; then Johnson gives up the 1st pitch dinger. jeesh. anyway nice clutch hitting, good for Markakis and Roberts to get set, as well for Guerrero and Hardy. good defense. Overall I like the way the pitching handled longoria, manny, etc. for TB, good win.

Bad news is on Matusz of course... out 4-6 weeks with the lower back strain.

Good news is that the team isn't holding back... Britton gets the start on Sunday. Too early to pick him up for fantasy? no.

I liked watching Guthrie work....fast, efficient and attacking the strike zone.

The good news is Price had the Orioles number and they got that monkey off their back. That's one down and 587 monkeys left...but one at a time works for me.

I see the Blue Jays as serious threats to the Orioles finishing 3rd in the division. How expectations have changed! Anybody else see this?

Edited by vmax

Defense, defese, defense! That's the biggest difference I've seen so far between the team this season and the team from last season. Hardy must have saved a couple of runs by himself. His range and arm is very impressive at short. It is amazing how much of a difference having a true first baseman makes on the defense. Lee just makes everything look so easy and natural out there, whereas Millar, Huff, Scott, Atkins, and Wigginton all made the most routine plays look difficult.

I liked watching Guthrie work....fast, efficient and attacking the strike zone.

The good news is Price had the Orioles number and they got that monkey off their back. That's one down and 587 monkeys left...but one at a time works for me.

I see the Blue Jays as serious threats to the Orioles finishing 3rd in the division. How expectations have changed! Anybody else see this?

It was great to watch both pitchers in the matchup. They both work fast, makes for a quick paced game.

Amazing catch by Kakis!! Hopefully this is the year he finally gets a Gold Glove! I seriously thought that was a walkoff 3-run HR when it left the bat. Did you hear the crowd? Everyone was in complete shock that Kakis caught that ball.

It looked like a homer to me, I wasnt happy as I saw it come off the bat.

Luke strained his hammy, I think. Nothing major... they say.

Anyone else PUMPED for Britton today?

While I am not happy Luke got hurt, I would not be happy if that was the effort he made running out his hit in that situation. It seemed unlike him.

Nice enough start to todays game too.

Wire to wire!!

Give it a shot. The Reds were the last team to do it back in '90, but they too are off to a 3-0 start this year. How weird would it be for two wire to wire teams meet in the World Series?

Give it a shot. The Reds were the last team to do it back in '90, but they too are off to a 3-0 start this year. How weird would it be for two wire to wire teams meet in the World Series?

Well, if you're talking about winning the World Series, then yes. But the Orioles actually went wire-to-wire to win the AL East in 1997 (which, incidentally, was the last time they started 3-0).

Well, if you're talking about winning the World Series, then yes. But the Orioles actually went wire-to-wire to win the AL East in 1997 (which, incidentally, was the last time they started 3-0).

That's cool, but I'm talking going "Wire To Wire" and ending up in the World Series.

This was a great way to start the year; obviously way too early, but the "good starting pitching, solid defense, timely hitting" mantra is exactly what we had. Except that sometimes the pitching, or defense were even great; the hitting of course was ultimately timely. I was impressed with Reynolds and Hardy on both sides of the coin; it seems like the infield has already gelled, and the pitchers are feeding off of each other. Uehara looked good too. They gave up 3 runs and 12 hits this series. How many times in recent years have they given away more runs and hits than that in ONE game? too many. If Britton can hold it together under pressure and deliver like that, things are looking up for this team's confidence and unity.

...aaaaaand, that was against a team, with some pitchers and hitters, that have had our number in the recent past. Good to have a 'tone-setter' for the season.

...AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaand, Wieters has looked nice!

I,ll be able to watch the game on tv today and it would be sweet for O's fans to see a home opener win. I,ll be pulling for it.

The weather will be perfect.

Another nice win; aggressive solid pitching; timely hitting (BRobs!); the formula working again. The press conferences show a team in control, players not saying too much; Buck showed a cool hand saying he'd give his team time to transition to home territory, meaning managing the physical move to homes in the area. Classy move and this guy has the good way of dealing with media. Hopefully Guthrie will pass for Wednesday, but you get the feeling they can manage if he can't. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 24 hours, but for now it has been fun. various pundits on radio/tv are waffling on whether to give the O's credit. But I did hear Ken R. on MLB network giving the O's some love (statistically) pointing back to Showalter's joining the team, saying this is his influence. fair enough!

I hear ya; I guess Reimold's not far. Not sure what we have left to come in if Guthrie's lost, but either Buck's not concerned or keeping his ace in the hole, judging by the post-game interview; he had poker face.