ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Unless Players Cave In

vmax

The Owners have the upper hand...

In plain terms: Owners can continue to lock out players until their full appeal is decided. Hearings are scheduled to begin June 3, with a decision likely by mid-July.

What happens now, however, is anyone's guess. Monday's ruling was strongly worded in favor of the owners and suggested the appeals court will rule in their favor later this summer. If that's the case, players will have lost their previous leverage and face an indefinite lockout.

http://espn.go.com/blog/NFCNorth/post/_/id/26988/owner-victory-suggests-its-time-for-a-deal

This season looks like it's wrecked. Be prepared to see some shabby football....around October.

Oh...they're going to cave...

As the NFL work stoppage continues with no end in sight, some cash-strapped players are taking out high-risk, high-interest loans to get them through the lean times — some as big as $250,000 with interest rates as high as 30 percent.

Players make their entire salary during the regular season, and many rely on offseason workout bonuses to get them through the spring and summer. With opening day — and their next payday — uncertain, some are turning to lenders like AGR Sports Funding, a Virginia-based firm that specializes in lending to professional athletes.

Jason Yorker, owner of AGR, likes to think of himself as a lifeline for NFL players. When cash gets tight, they can turn to him to borrow, as he puts it, “a couple extra hundred thousand dollars here and there.”

To explain the 30 percent interest rate he charges, Yorker said that, unlike other lenders, he doesn’t care much about his clients’s credit scores or whether they have any assets to back up the loan. If he thinks a player’s good for it, he can get them the cash in just a couple of weeks. Since the beginning of the lockout March 12, Yorker said, business has been booming.

“You’d be surprised at some of the names of people that have been reaching out to us,” said Yorker — declining to name names — adding that they even include Pro Bowl players.

Over the past six weeks or so, according to Yorker, he’s issued 25 NFL players loans, ranging from $30,000 to $250,000.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-lockout-leads-to-players-taking-out-cash-loans-with-huge-interest-rates-051511

If you really want to puke....really want to get scared...read Collinsworth's possible future senario that he told Peter King. I respect both men, their experience and opinions...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/05/15/mmqb/index.html?sct=nfl_wr_a1

That's some scary shit right there.

Those are some really scary scenarios. If some of the things happen that Collinsworth worries about (draft, no cap, team TV deals) then I will be done with the league forever.

I'm calling bullshit here. You can NEVER be done with the NFL. It's well documented in major medical journals the addiction to professional football makes crack look like Kool-Aid. :wink:

You might be pissed for a while, but once things got rolling again you'd be right back on board looking for that next hit.

I'm calling bullshit here. You can NEVER be done with the NFL. It's well documented in major medical journals the addiction to professional football makes crack look like Kool-Aid. :wink:

You might be pissed for a while, but once things got rolling again you'd be right back on board looking for that next hit.

It depends how it got rolling again. If they lose some games or even a season then came back to run the league in a similar way I would be back right away. I can deal with that even if I do not like it.

If the league is capless and teams sign their own TV deals then it will become a league of haves and have nots; that might finish me off for good. Its the competitive balance and structure of the league the way it is now that appealed to me when I became a fan 25 years ago, if that goes I would be far less interested.

If it became like baseball, then they would lose me.

We'd be watching Dan Snyder scoop up Ray Lewis, Ogden, Ngata. Suggs, Ray Rice, Ed Reed and the Indigenous Persons going 14-2 every year.

Ticket prices, which are getting too high for me to justify, would be out of reach. I feel like they are pushing the limits to extract every cent they can get from fans now.

It's a legal stick up.

The majority of fans would wake up the same as the Browns fans.

That's what we would have to look forward to year after year.

That's enough rersentment for me to say fuck this.

I can't imagine a senario like this comming to pass...They couldn't be that stupid could they???...but it is possible.

Im with Max, I turned my back on Baseball in 94, It would pain me but I would have to turn on Football...The fan has to step up and make a stand..Owners & players are hurting the fan right now, they are hurting small business as well, no news every talk show is making up stuff to talk about, hell Nestor talked about his dead gold fish for 35 minutes yesterday!!!!!

If they cancel this season, it will be alot of honey do's.

How about the fans? The owners and players need to care about the fans! As we are the ones that make the NFL. Despite the players and owners making the money. We pay to see the gams as well as see them on tv.