ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft Day 2. Rounds 2 and 3

vmax

What do you think about the Ravens getting one of these guys?

Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland

There are a ton of quality cornerbacks still on the board for the cornerback-needy Ravens, but how many will be there when Baltimore is on the clock at No. 86? It seems highly unlikely that Michigan’s DJ Turner, Penn State’s Joey Porter Jr. and Georgia’s Kelee Ringo will make it past the second round. There’s a decent chance Bennett could be there in the third. Bennett has 4.30 speed and gets his hands on a lot of footballs with five interceptions and 22 pass breakups over his final two seasons in College Park.

Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

He has all the physical attributes teams are looking for in a cornerback. Brents is 6-foot-3, 198 pounds and has an 82 5/8-inch wingspan. He’s adept at using his long arms to disrupt the timing of receivers. There were some inconsistencies in his game, but his combination of speed and fluidity should give him a chance to contribute immediately....https://theathletic.com/4462837/2023/04/28/draft-best-available-baltimore-ravens/?source=emp_shared_article

The Athletic is $1.99 a month. Worth it. 

My shits free. :fishin:

Oh boy, they stood pat, drafted Patrick Queen, er umm Trenton Simpson, same player, same type player, athletic, relied on his athletism in college, doesn't cover well, gets lost in zone coverage...

Queen wasn't happy, "sheesh" he tweeted.. yeah, I agree Patrick, I agree

I'm puzzled as to why Ringo is still there, yes he sometimes has lapses in coverage but his skill set and size, speed can't be coached, he can. Do what ever it takes to draft him.

If they can't, get Rush, from S Carolina, he is raw but also has the skill set, size, quickness and make up speed this team needs.

AT Perry is still there, adding another wide out could also be fruitful

Hmmff, Eric said the reason for the Simpson pick was bpa, because all of their top listed wide outs were taken... Well Eric, I will repeat what I said earlier. Since you as a team, have not ever drafted a wide out who turned out to be productive, why not throw caution to the wind and say," hey, we think so & so is going to be a bust nfl receiver, so let's take him"..

What have you to lose? If he turns out to be a bust, you were right, if you were wrong and he turns out to be an all pro, (very likely) you look like a genius!

Isn't that a better gamble than drafting another weak, speedy edge/inside backer who while a manimal, is weak at the point of attack, Likely to be a rotational player at best?

And again they take a flyer, this time at corner, a.position of desperate need. They chose Kyu Blue Kelly, Chip's son, in thr 5th (AT Perry still on the board)

Kelly is sound in technique, has decent speed, straight line, but it take a few yards before he hits top gear. Quite a handsy player which may get him in trouble in the NFL. He may take a few years to develop, if ever... a 5th round pick, so...

I was shocked that they took him at all, let alone so early. I realize two of their qbs are injured and likely to miss parts of the season but they are both young and unproven. Why add another to the mix?

As for the Ravens, 6th round, missed out on Perry, took offensive tackle, likely a guard Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, 6'6" 330, plays weaker than his size, terrible technique, likely destined for the practice squad... if he makes the team..

My overall feelings about this Ravens' Draft is, well, meh. I love the Flowers pick but I can't get excited about anybody else. That said, we only had 5 picks in a down draft year. Still, I think we could have done a little better. I'd give it a solid C.

With all the limitations we had that's really not so bad.

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

I was shocked that they took him at all, let alone so early. I realize two of their qbs are injured and likely to miss parts of the season but they are both young and unproven. Why add another to the mix?

As for the Ravens, 6th round, missed out on Perry, took offensive tackle, likely a guard Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu, 6'6" 330, plays weaker than his size, terrible technique, likely destined for the practice squad... if he makes the team..

Yup it was very early for him to get picked. Most mocks I saw had him going in the 6th or 7th or not at all.

Ohio defensive tackle Kaieem Caesar [Ohio Football]

Oregon State offensive lineman Brandon Kipper [Wilson]

Colorado State-Peublo defensive tackle Trey Botts [Wilson]

ECU running back Keaton Mitchell [uStadium]

Nebraska tight end Travis Vokolek [Lombardo]

Maryland wide receiver Dontay Demus Jr. [Ghafir]

Shepard tight end Brian Walker [Wilson]

Vanderbilt cornerback Jeremy Lucien [Hallam]

UTSA cornerback Corey Mayfield Jr [Pelissero]

Southern Miss offensive tackle Tykeem Doss [Wilson]

Delaware quarterback Nolan Henderson [Tessler, Agent]

SMU offensive lineman Jaylon Thomas [Wolfe]

Southern defensive end Camron Peterson

Oh I missed this one. Ravens trade a 6th next year for the Browns 7th round pick. They take Andrew Vorhees, offensive tackle/guard. He would have likely been a 2nd round pick this year but he tore his acl, won't be able to play at all this year.

Yes, another chance taken on an injured player. He was very good before the injury, might be a solid right tackle/ guard in 2024....

This team needed quality over quantity, maybe they tried to trade up earlier for a wide out or corner and couldn't, who knows. But this injured played was worth the risk, he is quality, unlike the last few injured players they drafted

Can't put much stock into paper stats and college records.  So much build up to get people to watch the draft, which I did, but it was all noise to me.  

Let's see how training camp shapes up.  Lamar signed and Flowers drafted are the biggest wins.  Monken's philosophy should be a breath of fresh air.  Ravens know what they are doing.  Roman was the captain of SS Mediocrity and that ship is sunk.  Don't get all negative yet.

I'm stoked having Monken here, looking forward to seeing him take advantage of OBJ, Andrews, JK, etc. I don't know how the rookie Flowers will do, but as I said in the Flowers thread, Todd loves to exploit the slot position.

I expect to see some real route combinations to open up the defense, get guys open, Todd specializes in that.

Now which Lamar will we get? Will he trust the scheme, throw on time, see the openings? Will he dive into the playback, be at every practice not sit out sick with IBS because the Chinese food smelled so good?

All  can say is that I hope we get the upgraded model of Lamar that sees the advantages of Monken and his system.

That's why I was hedging my bets on the hope we'd pick up Stetson Bennett very late in the draft or as a UDFA. Unfortunately the Niners reached for him way early. He knows Monken's system inside and out.