ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cards release Hopkins

tsylvester

The Baltimore Ravens were one of several teams rumored to be interested in trading for DeAndre Hopkins, but they opted not to pursue a deal before he was released by the Arizona Cardinals on Friday.

Per The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec, the Ravens "did their homework" on a potential Hopkins trade but "backed off" of a deal.

Among the things Baltimore looked into were the 30-year-old's "personality fit" with the club and "what it would take in terms of draft capital and salary-cap space to make a deal work."

There was an April 26 report from Reet Manfred of 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore (h/t Kevin Eck of BaltimoreRavens.com) claiming the Ravens were "close" to trading for Hopkins.

According to Zrebiec, it didn't appear a potential trade with Arizona ever really got close to happening.

It seems as if Hopkins' contract, which had two years remaining, was a major stumbling block for clubs that wanted to acquire him. He was set to count $30.75 million against the cap in 2023, the highest amount for a wide receiver.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reported on the May 19 episode of SportsCenter that Hopkins was also hesitant to take a pay cut after the Ravens gave Odell Beckham Jr. a one-year deal with $15 million guaranteed.

While the Ravens could pursue Hopkins as a free agent, they've already invested a lot of resources into upgrading their receiving corps. In addition to signing Beckham, they used their first-round draft pick (No. 22 overall) to select Boston College wideout Zay Flowers.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10077656-deandre-hopkins-rumors-ravens-did-their-homework-on-wr-and-backed-off-on-trade.amp.html

Yeah, I can't see where they have the cap space now for Hopkins after they committed to OBJ. Kinda of a shame since I think Hopkins would have been my choice as opposed to Beckham. Oh well, at the time we sure couldn't have made a trade that the Cards wouldn't have asked a lot for. Frankly, I'm surprised they just let him walk. Makes me a bit suspicious that there may be some physical issue with him?

I think the reason they didn't trade him for anything was his contract. Teams wanted the Cards to cover a portion of it, and they would rather just be done with the money this year.

He is 30 going on time to lose a step or two. Not sure he is worth a long term, big money deal.

• 1 month later...

I would have preferred Hop over OBJ, 2 knee injuries concern me about his health for a whole season.

$11.5 mil a season for Hop, plus 6 in incentives is quite the deal for 2 years.

Man, what could the Jets, the Chiefs, maybe even the Ravens must have offered for him to sign so "cheaply" in Ten, who still does not know who their qb will be.

I like Levi's a lot but he is a rookie, Tan is clearly at the end of his career, and Willis, while a decent college qb, is not an NFL qb..

5 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

There is no way to know willis is not NFL capable after 1 season.

I thought you knew everything? :)

Happy first day of training camp for rookies!

6 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

There is no way to know willis is not NFL capable after 1 season.

Im a big Liberty fan, my daughter graduated from there and is working on her masters with them.

I've seen a ton of Willis, he just doesn't see the whole field, has little anticipation. He is used to throwing to guys wide open, not throwing guys open.

But time will tell.

Training camp! Woo Hoo

6 hours ago, GrubberRaven said:

I thought you knew everything? :)

Happy first day of training camp for rookies!

Far from it.  

4 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Im a big Liberty fan, my daughter graduated from there and is working on her masters with them.

I've seen a ton of Willis, he just doesn't see the whole field, has little anticipation. He is used to throwing to guys wide open, not throwing guys open.

But time will tell.

Training camp! Woo Hoo

They always said he would probably be a 2 yr experiment.