ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Something special brewing?

tsylvester

Nice read from Smith

https://www.nfl.com/news/roquan-smith-believes-ravens-are-in-for-something-special-in-2023

Count Roquan Smith among the many who believe this is their year.

"I'm just excited to get out there and fly around with the guys, because I think we're in for something special," the Ravens linebacker said, via the team's official site. "And I think myself, personally, I think it's going to be probably my best year, at least the way I feel physically and mentally."

Smith has legitimate reason to be excited. He's moved past the contract dispute that prompted his trade from Chicago to Baltimore, receiving a new five-year, $100 million deal from the Ravens and returns as a key part of a defense built to win in 2023.

He's also operating with the luxury of time. This time around, Smith won't have to learn defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald's scheme, and his future in Baltimore is solidified. He's an important member of his team -- and he's ready to play with a vengeance.

"We want all the smoke, honestly," Smith said. "There's a lot of payback that we have out there. We'll get to it when we get to it, one week at a time."

Baltimore acquired Smith in the middle of the 2022 season, a campaign that included its own helping of adversity, starting with the loss of quarterback Lamar Jackson. The Ravens still found a way to reach the playoffs, but their loss to Cincinnati on Super Wild Card Weekend brought an unceremonious end to their season, leaving many feeling empty-handed.

Smith expects much more from 2023, a year that is expected to test the Ravens in a competitive AFC North and loaded conference. Baltimore will have to bring it every week, and with a defense that includes a blend of young playmakers and seasoned veterans, the Ravens have high hopes. There’s no time for Smith to have mercy on opponents.

"Never scared. Wasn't born scared, wasn't planning to die scared," Smith said. "I think most of the guys on the defense live the same way. People may fear us, [and] we want to strike that. At the end of the day, we're coming out to take your heads off."

Wow...Roquan is psyched up and ready to play. I think Marlon Humphrey addressed his teammates the same way. Could be a ferocious defense if they can generate a competent pass rush.

And stay relatively healthy.

The main "thing" that has derailed this team over the past few seasons has been injuries. Whether it was on offense or defense, sometimes both, injuries have killed this team.

They now, thanks in part to the injuries, have real depth at most every position. I think I agree with Smith, that this could be a special season.

True to a point papa, no doubt. The difference this year, however, is this team saw how far they went, how close they came to a super bowl run, the goal line.

That with a terrible, okay, that is perhaps too strong a word, but a qb not ready for pre season games, let alone playoff games.

The line was healthy for once in a long time, the secondary not only played up to their level of play, but several 3rd year players finally reached their potential and played well.

Lamar is clearly light years ahead of any of our back ups, who knows what Bekham will add, if he will stay healthy, or if Bateman will be able to help out. But Likely showed he can be a force, I would not be surprised to see Todd use him as a wide out, in the slot, on the edge. He did that at Georgia with the two great tight ends he had to take advantage of matchups.

Oh yes, and the line is back, just about intact, that means a lot. Factor in Todd, and yes, this could be maybe should be a special year. A super bowl appearance or win? Who knows, but yes, certainly not a 6 win or less season, rather playoffs and beyond.

12 hours ago, tsylvester said:

True to a point papa, no doubt. The difference this year, however, is this team saw how far they went, how close they came to a super bowl run, the goal line.

That with a terrible, okay, that is perhaps too strong a word, but a qb not ready for pre season games, let alone playoff games.

The line was healthy for once in a long time, the secondary not only played up to their level of play, but several 3rd year players finally reached their potential and played well.

Lamar is clearly light years ahead of any of our back ups, who knows what Bekham will add, if he will stay healthy, or if Bateman will be able to help out. But Likely showed he can be a force, I would not be surprised to see Todd use him as a wide out, in the slot, on the edge. He did that at Georgia with the two great tight ends he had to take advantage of matchups.

Oh yes, and the line is back, just about intact, that means a lot. Factor in Todd, and yes, this could be maybe should be a special year. A super bowl appearance or win? Who knows, but yes, certainly not a 6 win or less season, rather playoffs and beyond.

Yeah, I think Monken is the key upgrade here. I see a big, entertaining season ahead. Super Bowl, who knows but I'll be happy if the offense is as improved as much as i think it will be and the defense is tight. I would like to see Lamar have a better backup QB.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I'm excited to see the  Monken offense for sure. My optimism is tempered by how good or not good the defense is until Humphrey comes back and also the weather. I know thunderstorms can cause a delay in play or even a rescheduling if lightening is a factor.

It would be great to see if the Ravens can mount any kind of pressure from Ojabo or Oweh.

• Upvote 1