ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Salary cap goes up $30 mil

tsylvester

Yeah, tagging him put him at what, 21 mil?

There are moves that they would have to make any way, converting salary to bonus, extensions, etc, but those moves might not have been enough, on their own to keep him, now, perhaps they are...

• 2 weeks later...

I normally pass on news from the Ravens propaganda site but I liked this article:

"

How the Ravens Can Have a Productive Offseason Despite Limited Resources

When NFL free agency kicks off next week, don't expect the Ravens to get caught up in the frenzy.

As General Manager Eric DeCosta said at the Combine last week, the Ravens' Way isn't to go on a shopping spree. With approximately $11 million in cap space, the Ravens, who have more than 20 pending free agents, couldn't do that even if they waned to.

That doesn't mean DeCosta won't make moves to bolster the roster. The Baltimore Banner's Jonas Shaffer constructed a 10-step plan for how the Ravens can add help in free agency without shedding big-name contracts. Here are four of Shaffer's suggestions:

Restructure QB Lamar Jackson, TE Mark Andrews and ILB Roquan Smith's deals.

"A simple restructure of Jackson's contract, in which most of his 2024 base salary would be converted into a prorated signing bonus, would create $11.1 million in savings. A simple restructure of Andrews and Smith's contracts would free up another $8.6 million. Altogether, that's about $20 million in savings."

Sign RB Tony Pollard.

"The Ravens might not have the means to win a bidding war for Saquon Barkley or Derrick Henry, but Pollard could deliver similar value at a significant discount. PFF projects the Dallas Cowboys running back to get a three-year, $24 million offer in free agency, while Spotrac has his market value at $13.1 million on a two-year deal. The glut of capable backs available in free agency could drive Pollard's price down even further. … The Ravens could structure a two-year deal for the 26-year-old that counts for $4 million against the cap in 2024."

Re-sign DL Brent Urban, LB Malik Harrison, ILB Del'Shawn Phillips, CB Ronald Darby and S Daryl Worley.

"The bulk of the Ravens' signings this offseason, much like last offseason, should be cheap extensions that help stabilize their special teams and round out their depth chart. A handful of short-term deals for this group could cost about $4 million against the cap, though the value of their deals could be double that. (From the start of the league year until the first week of the regular season, only a team's 51 most expensive contracts count against its salary cap, so the relative impact of the Ravens' small deals would be marginal.)"

Fill out the roster with later-wave signing (or signings).

"DeCosta doesn't mind playing the waiting game. He waited until May to sign cornerback Rock Ya-Sin, until July to sign cornerback Arthur Maulet, until August to sign Jadeveon Clowney and Darby, and until September to sign outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy. There are always useful players who become available later in the offseason, and they're usually the kind of players DeCosta likes to target, entering a market with fewer bidders and not factoring into the NFL's compensatory-pick calculus.

"Will they be high-profile names? Probably not. But the Ravens enter the offseason with barely enough cap space to spend on medium-profile names. They'll likely have to fill holes at several positions — most notably guard, running back, wide receiver, outside linebacker and cornerback — with in-house pieces and draft picks."  "

Well, the contracts for both Lamar and Smith are so long and large that of course you have to adjust them as needed. They are two player that you expect to live out the life of the contracts.

I like Pollard, in general, but he always seems to be nicked up, not sure I want him here.

Sign Gus, draft a back or two, carry on...

Andrews is the interesting one, his age, his injuries, the emergence of Likely, is Andrews going to live out his contract, even as good as he has been?

Unfortunately, I think Stanley has to take a cut or be gone. Through no fault of his own he hasn't, and I don't think can, live up to the contract given him years ago and it's a now a liability. Keep Andrews---he plays like a Raven.

And if we have the money, I'd like us to try and get Pollard. He's still young enough to earn his salary. It would save us maybe from having to draft one.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that we will be in a rebuilding mode next year...I don't think we'll be competitive for a Super Bowl run.

16 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Well, you can't forsee injuries, it is a risk you have to take. He was worth it if heallthy.

Not true.  Stanley before that deal was inked showed he was prone to knick nack injuries.  in the 4 yrs before inking his deal he missed 4, 1, 1, and 2 games.  At his peak health and youth he showed he could not be relied upon to give a seasons worth of games.  To me that says do not pay the man.

7 hours ago, oldno82 said:

Unfortunately, I think Stanley has to take a cut or be gone. Through no fault of his own he hasn't, and I don't think can, live up to the contract given him years ago and it's a now a liability. Keep Andrews---he plays like a Raven.

And if we have the money, I'd like us to try and get Pollard. He's still young enough to earn his salary. It would save us maybe from having to draft one.

I'm coming around to the conclusion that we will be in a rebuilding mode next year...I don't think we'll be competitive for a Super Bowl run.

No.  Stay away from vet backs unless they are below market deals.  Its to easy to find good play from the rookies.

Come on papa, very few tackles, top ones too boot, play every game, every year. From simple ankle sprains because their foot got stepped on to blown knees because they got rolled up on. It happens.

Papa knows all.  Look at his resume of all the professional sports teams he's managed.

He's Harbaugh's favorite guy at the end of the bar.

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Come on papa, very few tackles, top ones too boot, play every game, every year. From simple ankle sprains because their foot got stepped on to blown knees because they got rolled up on. It happens.

but it was every yr.  I see OL get knicked up and hang on there.  Hes not one of those guys.

Well, I was hoping he would take a pay cut, but this will have to do, from Fowler

The #Ravens and former All-Pro LT Ronnie Stanley have agreed to a reworked contract, per sources. He was due $15M this year.   He now plays on less in base pay but has upside potential to reach or surpass that number. The $26.2M cap hit will reduce

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Well, I was hoping he would take a pay cut, but this will have to do, from Fowler

Not that bad an option. I was hoping for a pay cut too but it takes two to tango. 

Bowser to be released according to Zrebec, saves $5.5 million so that along with Moses should save around $11 million total.

Interesting rumor floated by former Bengals tight end saying the Bengals are going to trade for Justin Jefferson. Man, between he, Chase and Burrow, they won't have much if any cap for any other players going forward.. but what a dynamic passing attack that would make