ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens @ Chiefs

tsylvester

Post game, Lamar stated he was watching Bateman, not Zay.  Saw Zay when he released it as he was pressured too by Jones.

Any concerns about Orr and the blown coverages?  Smith accepted that responsibility, but I feel like the timeouts were taken in the second half because Orr couldn't get the right personnel in.

Yeah I think it will be, like the o line, a work in progress with Orr. The pieces are there, there were good stands made, short fields because of a turnover, a failed 4th down try.

My biggest concern in the use of personnel at times. I think going forward we will see more of the rookie playing corner, especially when facing more speed at the wide receiver position.

I'm not sure what was going on with all of the big plays down the middle, the backers not reading right, missed tackles, etc, something.

All fixable

5 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Wow, 9 seconds, has Flowers wide open in the endzone, misses him, Flowers went one way, the ball the other.

On the final drive, Bateman made a great catch, laying out along the sidelines to get them to the 12 or so.

All in all, yeah they lost, could have won this game.

But too many errors on the defense, blown coverages, bad coverage, missed tackles, not finishing the rush on Mahomes.

Missed blocks at key times along the line or as I pointed out by Likely. Andrews fell down going for a 1st down, failed.

Bad passes down field, missed opportunities.

However, 1st game of the year, on the road, yeah, this team is very, very good, patience.

Lamar didn’t see flowers.  That ball was supposed to be for hill.  Badly thrown and poor reading the field.  

I'll just sum up my feelings by saying the best team won that game. Stupid, stupid mistakes by our offensive line combined with poor O-line play in general. Lamar, who certainly has his own drawbacks, was under too much pressure as in the last time we played them. Mark Andrews has disappeared in the eyes of Lamar. And they still didn't run the ball enough. Twelve carries by Henry isn't going to cut it.

Another stupid call by Harbaugh on the 4th down play early in the game to go for it. Another miss by Tucker on a FG he used to make with ease. Another strip-sack of Lamar deep in on our end of the field.

Same-old same-old stupidity and Macdonalld wasn't there to shut down the Chiefs.

4 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

Lamar didn’t see flowers.  That ball was supposed to be for hill.  Badly thrown and poor reading the field.  

Lamar said he was throwing to Bateman on a crossing route, DOUBLE COVERED, when he saw Flowers at the last second. The ball was intended to Bateman, who stopped after he made his break.

Even if Bateman keeps going, no way that pass is completed.

He admits that he sped up because Jones was being blocked by Hill and he was trying to help Hill out.  That is he had waited a count longer, he would have fired it to Flowers.

Interesting stuff. He also, because the tackle blocked down and both backers were in coverage, could have run to his right and made it easy into the endzone.

It's all learning, for receivers, for Lamar, hopefully they learned to slow down.

Last year they were great in the redzone, hopefully, and I expect so, it will continue this year.

Wiley made a great point, one we've talked about before; we as fans just do not know a lot of what goes into a play.

No matter how well we may know the game, we can't know, as the story he told, what stunts were called on a play.

Shoot, on offense, how often is the qb changing the play just from run to pass?

What is the order of a progression for a qb on a certain play.

There is so much we, as fans just cannot know no matter how much we might study the game.

Yes, the all 22 is a great tool but there are sonny things it can never tell us.

I agree that there's a lot of ambiguity regarding what we know during a given play. But I do know Harbs made a stupid decision to go for it on 4th and 3 so early and with the field position we had. I can see underthrown balls and overthrown ones to deep receivers who have a step on a defensive back and we lose out on a game changing TD. And I know a crappy offensive line when I see one.

Been seeing most of these things for a long time now without a correction. We seem unable to have a well coached game against the best teams. And Lamar can't throw deep well.

Finally, I know we held out our first stringers in the preseason play so there'd be no injuries, but we should have played some portion of those games with them in there to establish some coordination and continuity. Practice is important but no substitute for playing some in a real game even a preseason one.

Last year we had the best team in the league and we still got stonewalled in the playoffs. This year's team is way less talented due to the poor play of the O-line and the turnover of coaches we've had.

And realistically, how much longer can we count on Lamar to lead the team in rushing without getting injured? And look at what we have backing him up.

8 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Wiley made a great point, one we've talked about before; we as fans just do not know a lot of what goes into a play.

No matter how well we may know the game, we can't know, as the story he told, what stunts were called on a play.

Shoot, on offense, how often is the qb changing the play just from run to pass?

What is the order of a progression for a qb on a certain play.

There is so much we, as fans just cannot know no matter how much we might study the game.

Yes, the all 22 is a great tool but there are sonny things it can never tell us.

A big issue is going back to Louisville he didn’t need to read a whole field.  In those limitations he didn’t have to go through progressions across a whole field either.  How much has he been taught to do it now.  I don’t think much.