ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

New Weapon for the Ravens next season. Burress ?

moonman

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/20/...ne-in-st-louis/

How about Torry Holt. Right player right price. He would be another good WR to bring in with a Rookie to solidify the wideouts for a couple of yrs.

Interesting, might be a right price type of guy, but I am sure there will be plenty of teams competing for his service. I believe Philly would be an ideal landing spot for Holt. Antonio Bryant would be a good fit for us, he is a deep threat with good hands. However, is an extremely risky signing, and is probably going to be out of our price range. I think our best bet is drafting a guy within the first two rounds who can grow with Joe.

We'll have a shot at either Percy or Maclin, if we're interested. The draft is where we'll get our receiver... they command too much money on the free market, and we'll need that money to pay our linebackers (*crosses fingers*)

We need to grab either a CB or WR in the first round. Now let's wait and see who declares...

Harvin is a little on the small size. We need a guy who can stretch the field, but at the same time go up and grab passes.

Harvin isn't that small. The NFL is full of productive receivers that are shorter than 6'2. (Just off the top of my head, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Anquan Boldin come to mind... not to mention our own Mason and Clayton.)

Desean Jackson is 20-30 pounds lighter than Harvin will be come draft time, and he's been able to produce in the NFL despite falling in the draft. With a guy with Flacco's arm at QB, speed and route running are much more important than size. Size is more important when your QB won't be able to hit a receiver in stride.

Harvin isn't that small. The NFL is full of productive receivers that are shorter than 6'2. (Just off the top of my head, Hines Ward, Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and Anquan Boldin come to mind... not to mention our own Mason and Clayton.)

Desean Jackson is 20-30 pounds lighter than Harvin will be come draft time, and he's been able to produce in the NFL despite falling in the draft. With a guy with Flacco's arm at QB, speed and route running are much more important than size. Size is more important when your QB won't be able to hit a receiver in stride.

You said it yourself, we already have two 5'10" receivers. I feel we need that tall deep threat who can go up and get balls and be a redzone threat. You see that catch Fitzgerald made in double coverage bailing out Warner's throw? We need a guy who can do that! (so does everybody though...) Fitz isn't the fastest guy in the world, but his size, smarts, and like you said, timing, allows him to get deep.

Would I be mad about Harvin? No, not at all. He would hopefully be a legitimate deep threat like a DeSean Jackson. I would just like to see us draft a bigger deep threat, such as Heyward-Bey.

You said it yourself, we already have two 5'10" receivers. I feel we need that tall deep threat who can go up and get balls and be a redzone threat. You see that catch Fitzgerald made in double coverage bailing out Warner's throw? We need a guy who can do that! (so does everybody though...) Fitz isn't the fastest guy in the world, but his size, smarts, and like you said, timing, allows him to get deep.

Would I be mad about Harvin? No, not at all. He would hopefully be a legitimate deep threat like a DeSean Jackson. I would just like to see us draft a bigger deep threat, such as Heyward-Bey.

We have two 5'10 receivers right now, but I'm talking about replacing Mason when he retires. We have a guy like you're talking about on the roster, except that he can't stay healthy. There haven't been many guys like Larry Fitzgerald in the history of the NFL... that's a pretty tall order to fill. But I think Spiderman is about as close as we're going to get to that type of receiver, assuming he can stay healthy. As far as red zone threats go, I've always felt like tall guys were overrated down there...other than Moss, Plaxico, and maybe TO... I haven't seen very many teams execute the fade route effectively. But it's probably not so much their size as it is their route-running and good hands. You see shorter receivers like Harrison get open in the red zone all the time because of route-running, and I think Harvin would be this kind of guy for us. Plus he could actually be available in the late-1st, unlike Crabtree, who is the type of guy you're probably talking about. Heyward-Bey may or may not still be on the board...we'll have to see what happens with his stock.

We have two 5'10 receivers right now, but I'm talking about replacing Mason when he retires. We have a guy like you're talking about on the roster, except that he can't stay healthy. There haven't been many guys like Larry Fitzgerald in the history of the NFL... that's a pretty tall order to fill. But I think Spiderman is about as close as we're going to get to that type of receiver, assuming he can stay healthy. As far as red zone threats go, I've always felt like tall guys were overrated down there...other than Moss, Plaxico, and maybe TO... I haven't seen very many teams execute the fade route effectively. But it's probably not so much their size as it is their route-running and good hands. You see shorter receivers like Harrison get open in the red zone all the time because of route-running, and I think Harvin would be this kind of guy for us. Plus he could actually be available in the late-1st, unlike Crabtree, who is the type of guy you're probably talking about. Heyward-Bey may or may not still be on the board...we'll have to see what happens with his stock.

I fully believe that Clayton will be able to step into D-Mase's role when D-Mase retires. The both have similar skill sets, and with D-Mase working with Clayton these past few years, Clayton should be ready when the time comes. So yes, we will need a deep threat to complement Clayton pretty soon.

I really hope D-Will can become that deep threat we need. It just doesn't seem to be there for him. He has good body control, but his timing and placement on balls is not there. The corner always seems to outplay him for the ball.

While big, fast, playmaking receivers are rare, there aren't impossible to find. Obviously finding guys as good as Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson almost certainly requires you to go 3-13 and pick in the top five. However, guys like Roddy White, Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Boldin, Kevin Walter, and Dwayne Bowe are out there to be found. These are all guys who have size and speed to bail out QBs on less than perfect throws throws downfield.

Don't get me wrong, if Harvin can become a Harrison, Wayne, Evans, or Jennings-type, that would be just as good. Like you said, that fade route can be down with any type of receiver as long as the timing is right. If Harvin can be that type of guy, I would be all for the pick. If the pick came down to Harvin or Heyward-Bey, I think I would go with DHB at this point. The career production has been pretty similar for both guys.

While big, fast, playmaking receivers are rare, there aren't impossible to find. Obviously finding guys as good as Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson almost certainly requires you to go 3-13 and pick in the top five. However, guys like Roddy White, Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Boldin, Kevin Walter, and Dwayne Bowe are out there to be found. These are all guys who have size and speed to bail out QBs on less than perfect throws throws downfield.

The reason I'm not too worried about receivers who 'bail out' their QB is because I see Flacco as a Peyton Manning-type of QB who can deliver the ball to the exact spot his receiver wants the ball, as opposed to QB's who throw to a window where the WR may need to adjust his route. Even in games where receivers do not make the catch, I've always felt that Flacco places the ball perfectly to either be caught or fall incomplete.

Don't get me wrong, if Harvin can become a Harrison, Wayne, Evans, or Jennings-type, that would be just as good. Like you said, that fade route can be down with any type of receiver as long as the timing is right. If Harvin can be that type of guy, I would be all for the pick. If the pick came down to Harvin or Heyward-Bey, I think I would go with DHB at this point. The career production has been pretty similar for both guys.

Either guy would be a great pickup, and you can throw Maclin in there as well. The one reason I favor Harvin is because he's an overall playmaker in the mold of Reggie Bush, and would be able to help in all facets of the game (special teams, short passes, reverses, running the ball, executing the option, etc.) Granted I'm a huge Gators fan, so consider me biased (but also knowledgeable on Harvin's style.)

For what it's worth, Harvin was listed as the #1 overall player when he came out of high school (source: Rivals.com)