ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco Grade

dapetes

Flacco is a rookie QB. I think we as fans are judging him to hard. Even the great Manning throws incomplete passes and yes even interceptions. Flacco had no interceptions yesterday. He didn't open any more doors for the fins with turnovers. He played great. We are spoiled with Flacco and his play this year. Lets not raise the bar for him so high this year. Stand behind him and enjoy what he does hes only human. Hats off and Bravo, we're lucky to have you, Cool Joe

Flacco is a rookie QB. I think we as fans are judging him to hard. Even the great Manning throws incomplete passes and yes even interceptions. Flacco had no interceptions yesterday. He didn't open any more doors for the fins with turnovers. He played great. We are spoiled with Flacco and his play this year. Lets not raise the bar for him so high this year. Stand behind him and enjoy what he does hes only human. Hats off and Bravo, we're lucky to have you, Cool Joe

Completely agree. Remember, Flacco had two deep balls that were inches away from being complete. Maybe if Flacco had a Wayne, Owens, Moss, Fitz, Boldin, Johnson, White, Smith, etc., those are touchdowns. Heap did not help Flacco out much on that dropped touchdown either. Watching Manning yesterday, Manning had several passes that were dropped interceptions, and many more bad decisions. Flacco on the other hand only had one bad read, on that pass across the middle into double coverage. Flacco did his job yesterday.

That pass Flacco made to Mason on the sideline right before the half was one of the most prettiest throws I have ever seen. I don't think people realize he threw that ball 40-yards on a rope with very little effort. Picture perfect pass, spectacular catch by D-Mase!

Flacco is more than ready for the playoffs, the prospect of a big game does not seem to faze him like it did Matt Ryan this weekend. I like our prospects going into Saturday. As for next season, get Flacco a big-play receiver and we are really going to be in business!

I'm giving Joe a "B" grade for the following reasons.

1. He played with an experience handicap because he's a rookie. The fact that he did not panic, look confused and force throws was very important. Control what you can control and Joe did that. Tons of experienced QB's cave in the playoffs.

2. He ran for the put away TD in the game. Joe is a weapon and threat in many ways. At the goal line teams have to account for him as a runner. He also ran for at least 2 first downs. Heads up performance.

3. Did not commit the costly turnover. Did not commit a turnover period. That's winning playoff football.

Now...his completion percentage was not good despite making some incredible throws. He will have to be very accurate Saturday against a great D and secondary if the Ravens hope to win.

While we are talking about Flacco, I heard a radio interview with Jason Brown this morning on the Sirius Blitz with Adam Schein and Marty Schottenheimer. Brown said Flacco has complete control of the huddle and respect from his teammates. He said while Flacco is low-key, he will speak up to command attention in the huddle. Brown also praised Flacco's work ethic. In training camp, Flacco earned the starting job Brown said. He stated that Flacco would be watching film at 6:30 in the morning. In fact, Brown said Flacco was in this morning at 8am watching tape. We really have something special with Flacco guys!

Thanks for the update cleetz.

It was funny to hear that when he first signed, he pulled up to the Ravens complex in his grandmothers 1990 Volvo. :D Then the guy gives his mother a lawn mower out of his sigfning bonus!

There could be something Wacko with Flacco...:)

I like this response from Joe...

Flacco bristled noticeably when a reporter suggested that he had merely been a caretaker of the offense and played not to commit mistakes.=

"I'm not going out there and trying to just manage the football game, I'm going out there and trying to make plays," Flacco said. "There were a handful of throwaways we had to do and we had a couple where we had them beat deep and we missed them.

"We didn't connect there, but we will make sure to connect in the future. We feel really good about how we played as an offensive unit. We moved the ball early on and kind of killed ourselves with some penalties and things like that, but we will get that cleaned up and be ready for next week."

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles...sports10509.txt

Here's what I want to know... are these "overthrown" balls actually being overthrown? Are the WR's making poor adjustments to them while they're in the air? Are our receivers running the wrong routes? I don't know what Joe is seeing when he releases the ball, and I don't know if maybe the receivers run crisper routes or look faster in practice... so I can't blame it all on him without this info.

Yes, guys like Moss and Steve Smith and Fitzgerald and company are amazing receivers, and catch long touchdowns in stride over and over, but is it because their QB's are more accurate on their deep balls, or because the receivers are much better at adjusting their routes? I guess we'll have to get a WR who has proven himself as an NFL deep threat before we can know for sure.

At least Flacco isn't forcing the ball into double coverage. Is this something that a QB has to learn to do to be successful? I know that Brady, Warner, and Manning get some of their best gains from passes that split or beat double-coverage (with amazing WR's)... rather than shying away from double-coverage entirely. Joe is in that middle-area right now between not wanting to take risks and not wanting to make mistakes. One thing that I can say for Matt Ryan is that he certainly feels more comfortable taking risks than Flacco does. I guess it's because he doesn't have to explain himself to Ray Lewis after a pick.

Here's what I want to know... are these "overthrown" balls actually being overthrown? Are the WR's making poor adjustments to them while they're in the air? Are our receivers running the wrong routes? I don't know what Joe is seeing when he releases the ball, and I don't know if maybe the receivers run crisper routes or look faster in practice... so I can't blame it all on him without this info.

Yes, guys like Moss and Steve Smith and Fitzgerald and company are amazing receivers, and catch long touchdowns in stride over and over, but is it because their QB's are more accurate on their deep balls, or because the receivers are much better at adjusting their routes? I guess we'll have to get a WR who has proven himself as an NFL deep threat before we can know for sure.

At least Flacco isn't forcing the ball into double coverage. Is this something that a QB has to learn to do to be successful? I know that Brady, Warner, and Manning get some of their best gains from passes that split or beat double-coverage (with amazing WR's)... rather than shying away from double-coverage entirely. Joe is in that middle-area right now between not wanting to take risks and not wanting to make mistakes. One thing that I can say for Matt Ryan is that he certainly feels more comfortable taking risks than Flacco does. I guess it's because he doesn't have to explain himself to Ray Lewis after a pick.

Remember, on those two deep balls to Clayton Joe had a defender rushing in his face and had to step into a hit. The first deep ball to Clayton I think Clayton could have dove for. The second deep ball to Clayton where he dove, Clayton hitched a little in his pattern as if he were unsure what he was doing with his route. Either way, in both cases, the timing was just a little off. Then there was the defensive holding call against Clayton on another deep ball, and Clayton still almost caught it! Nothing to be worried about, Flacco has hit Clayton deep multiple times this season. The encouraging thing is that Flacco is attacking the single coverage, and Clayton is getting open deep. Because of this, teams have to rethink stacking the box.

As for the last part, throwing in to double coverage deep is possible because of the amazing receivers those quarterbacks have, as you mentioned. We do not have such a receiver now, and Flacco is smart for shying away from such throws. Even Roddy White has that ability to bailout Matt Ryan.

I've seen Roddy White bail out Ryan on throws like that several times this season... he's definitely right up there. I wish stats showed things like that...

I'm hoping that the obviousness of those missed scoring-opportunities pushes Flacco to work on his deep-route timing with Clayton, Mason, and co. this week in preparation for the Titans game. Since we pretty much missed on every deep-route this week, perhaps we'll hit a bunch of them this next game. If we can, we could end up making Tennessee look foolish. Imagine if we actually hit a 50-60 yard TD score against them through the air... is there any way we lose that game then? I say no.

The deep balls that were barely missed were hurried drastically by a the pass rush. Joe made the right read and did not hesitate to heave it downfield. Id rather have overthrown balls for incomplete passes than underthrown balls for interceptions.

Also in the interviews on BR.com, Willis makes mention that Flacco changed the call to the QB draw. What confidence for a rookie! We are very lucky to have him and i know that people will say their criticism is realism not pessimism, but we'll agree to disagree.

The important thing is that Joe doesnt give a crap about what anyone has to say, except his coaches and the scoreboard.

I have it in good confidence that Flacco actually cares what I think about him. Yesterday after his one almost-interception, he looked right at me and mouthed the words "My bad." I told him not to worry about it, and he gathered the team to the huddle.

Guest BallTMore
Chad Pennington wants my opinion. Why, just yesterday after Ed Reed returned one of his beautiful interceptions, he trotted off the field asking me "What happened?" Don't believe me? Watch the tape!

Um, he was talking to me. <_<

The playcalling yesterday was a bit conservative, but not horrible. The big play was there for Joe to make, but they couldn't connect. That was the difference between Jacksonville (Over by halftime because we connected on several big plays) and Miami.

I liked that the offense wanted to win the game yesterday in the fourth, instead of just running time off the clock. We'll have to be aggressive against Tennessee too if we want to pull the upset. The Joe Flacco the Titans faced in Baltimore is gone. There will be no freebee INTs Saturday. At least, I hope not.

The playcalling yesterday was a bit conservative, but not horrible. The big play was there for Joe to make, but they couldn't connect. That was the difference between Jacksonville (Over by halftime because we connected on several big plays) and Miami.

I liked that the offense wanted to win the game yesterday in the fourth, instead of just running time off the clock. We'll have to be aggressive against Tennessee too if we want to pull the upset. The Joe Flacco the Titans faced in Baltimore is gone. There will be no freebee INTs Saturday. At least, I hope not.

I like to think that we learned our lesson during the Pittsburgh game with regards to conservative play-calling.

As far as the game being over by halftime... it kind've was. Just not over over.

The matchup I'm looking at for the Titans game is our o-line vs. their d-line. If we can keep them off of Flacco, I think those d-backs in Tennessee are in for a long day. Look for Mason to re-enter the head of Cortland Finnegan after he torches him with a few sideline grabs.

Chad Pennington wants my opinion. Why, just yesterday after Ed Reed returned one of his beautiful interceptions, he trotted off the field asking me "What happened?" Don't believe me? Watch the tape! :)

I seen that dee, I think I even pointed it out in game. It was funny.

You know what happen Penn? You got your ass kicked!