ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What do you think?

vmax

Preston makes a good point here...

How to beat the Ravens

I'm always amazed that more teams don't use short passes to beat the Ravens. The formula for beating this defense is fairly easy. You spread the Ravens out and throw short, quick timing patterns. The Steelers and Titans did it earlier this season to stage comeback victories over the Ravens, and Miami had some success with it Sunday. Plus, the Ravens' cornerbacks, especially Fabian Washington, can't tackle in the open field.

- Mike Preston

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/rav...the_ravens.html

They give up the short pass but not the long ball...nothing over their head. Yielding the short pass has not run the score up or created a big hole for the offense. It did sustain two game winning drives that cost the Ravens.

It also keeps the D on the field...wearing them out.

"How many TD drives did they get Sunday?"

44345323.jpg

Guest BallTMore

I think Preston is right.

A TE or WR on a quick-hitter seems to move the chains against us consistently. Perhaps other teams don't stick with this philosophy beacause they're afraid our secondary will jump a route and score, which just makes our defense insanely fired up. I don't know.

And he's right about our CB's tackling abilities. They just act as speed bumps until one of the linebackers can come over and finish the tackle.

I think this is a team by team thing. With the Dolphins, you know Ginn is dangerous on the outside, so do not give up the big play. The Dolphins do not have a burner at runningback, so we gave them the short stuff. If Mike Preston thinks for a second that we are going to let the Titans throw dumpoffs to the dangerous Chris Johnson, then he is underestimating Rex Ryan. Rex knows perfectly well what he is giving and taking away from the opposing offense each week. The Titans do not have a deep threat, so I fully expect the runningbacks (especially Chris Johnson) to be better accounted for.

Chris Johnson had 4 receiving yards in the first game, we held another fast back Steve Slaton to 17 yards, Brian Westbrook to -5 yards, and Maurice Jones-Drew to 10 yards. I am not worried one bit about this so called weakness.

As for the short passes to the receivers, as long as we are up by double digits, and our blitzes are as effective as they were on Sunday, let the teams have those passes. We are bound to cause a few turnovers.

Soft defense? Tell that to Chad Pennington who has to be hurting this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64s9NsrFY4

Yes soft. Thanks for the video! :-)

In the third go back and count how many DBs are out on that field and whatch how far we start playing off.

I am sure Penn is going to be hurting all off-season after that game.

Why the eff is Preston writing an article on how to beat the Ravens?!?! :blink:

Can't he just once praise the ravens and write an article on what they are doing right?!??!

Fuck you Preston, I bet you are the Baltimore AP voter for ROY and COY and DPOY who isn't voting for any of our Baltimore boys. :angry:

Why the eff is Preston writing an article on how to beat the Ravens?!?! :blink:

Can't he just once praise the ravens and write an article on what they are doing right?!??!

Fuck you Preston, I bet you are the Baltimore AP voter for ROY and COY and DPOY who isn't voting for any of our Baltimore boys. :angry:

Don't be too upset with Mikie, it is what he does.

He also just lost a friend.

I hadn't read this until just now... it fully supports the conclusion that I'd already reached myself... if teams just ran the two-minute offense against us for the entire game, we would be in serious trouble. A point I had been trying to make earlier today is that our pass-defense is vastly overrated, which I've felt since the Titans game early in the season. So long as we're getting pressure on the QB, we are able to cover up this weakness, and against poor quarterbacks as well.... but good quarterbacks knife through us like swiss cheese as soon as they go to the no-huddle.

Now, this isn't so much of a problem as long as our coaching staff realizes that this isn't the 2000 defense. But during the Steelers/Ravens game a few weeks ago, I kept burying my head into my hands when I realized that we were just trying to build and protect a small lead rather than put the game away. If anyone was surprised when Roethlisberger drove down the field and scored the go-ahead touchdown, they definitely hadn't been watching the game with me, because as soon as we kicked our first field goal I was already yelling at our coaches for overestimating our defense. 3 and 6 point leads were good in 2000....NOT in 2006. If we have a three-score lead, then okay. But 6 and 7 point leads are nothing for us until we get another pro-bowl corner on roster.

Not understanding the limitations of your own team = destined to fail.

When the Titans played in Baltimore in October and escaped with a 13-10 win, it was the Ravens who had the statistical upper hand in the defense and running game categories as Tennessee was held to 47yards and 54 offensive snaps. But with six minutes remaining, Titans quarterback Kerry Collins discovered his short-passing game and drove his team 90yards for the deciding touchdown.

Link.

Look forward to more of the same.