ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Transcript of State of the Ravens Press Conference

vmax

For those who didn't get to hear it... :gorave:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2012/02/Transcript_020112.aspx

Time heals. The thing that now, not only for Lee but for us, that you have to come to realize is how hard it is just to get back to that point – to get back to the AFC Championship game. To get back to the opportunity to have a chance to win it is really, really hard. You cannot underestimate how hard it is to get to that point and how much energy it will take for us just to get to that point where we can hopefully finish it off. That's what I'll be able to carry from those disappointments that I had in those years, is that you just can't turn the page and say, 'OK, we're going to be in the AFC Championship next year.' It's not going to happen. We have to roll up our sleeves and go to work."

Ozzie Newsome

How realistic is it to expect you and the team to be able to find the room to lock up Joe Flacco, Ray Rice and Ben Grubbs over the next 'X' amount of months, to have them here long term? (John Eisenberg)

(NEWSOME) "I think to answer that, I would have to say then, 'Who would we let go to keep those three guys?' Because if we decide to let four or five players go, waive them, terminate them, then we could keep those three very easily. But, the key is balancing – keeping the good players that we've got and trying to re-sign those guys. Now, hopefully I didn't skirt it, but it's easy to do if I was to sit here [and say], 'I'm going to cut this guy, cut this guy and cut this guy.' Then, I could sign all three of those guys in two days."

Ozzie, you mentioned your appreciation for how hard it is to get even to the point you were this year. Personally, what keeps you going in climbing that mountain every season, and how much longer do you see yourself doing that? (Mark Viviano)

(NEWSOME) "I was asked that down at the Senior Bowl, and my answer was, 'I enjoy coming to work every single day.' I work with good people. I enjoy Steve, Dick. John and I, we have a blast together – the coaches, my staff. I enjoy coming to work. I don't know if I have a bad day. I might make a lot of mistakes, but I don't know if I have a bad day at the office. With the people that are in the building, I really, really enjoy what I do. I don't know how much longer [i'll do this]. I want Super Bowls. Steve and I talk about two Super Bowls and three Super Bowls. Once I get to that point, I'll start deciding. But, I enjoy coming to work every day. This is a great place to come to work at. And, these three guys up here, they're great to work with."

Man...Lee Evans must have woken up this morning with sore kidneys because he took a ton of shots yesterday.

Look at how 1 dropped pass affected this franchise and so many careeers

Catch it and:

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed retire with possibly 2 rings and probably the greatest ever at their positions.

Joe skyrocketed into the upper echelons of QB's...and get's one huge fat contract.

Harbaughs well on the road to legend status.

Evans defines his career and earns his pay.

Many players on this roster see their value go up.

Cam becomes an OC Guru.

Win the Super Bowl...which I think they would...and this franchise is one of the NFL's best...no debate.

Alright....I'm stretching things a little....

You make a good point though, that's why I'm so frustrated with people that want to say Harbaugh sucks and Oz doesn't know what he's doing. They've clearly done alot of things right. I may not agree with all the decisions, however I cannot deny their results, so I'm just having faith that it's the right thing to do at this point.

I didn't love the Caldwell signing, but I do see what they may be thinking. They've earned their stripes.

I do feel bad for Lee, I assumed this would be the place where he would define his career for the better. Tough break for Lee, tough break for the Ravens.

Side note, do we have all of our draft picks this year? Have we traded some away etc?

You make a good point though, that's why I'm so frustrated with people that want to say Harbaugh sucks and Oz doesn't know what he's doing. They've clearly done alot of things right. I may not agree with all the decisions, however I cannot deny their results, so I'm just having faith that it's the right thing to do at this point.

I didn't love the Caldwell signing, but I do see what they may be thinking. They've earned their stripes.

I do feel bad for Lee, I assumed this would be the place where he would define his career for the better. Tough break for Lee, tough break for the Ravens.

Side note, do we have all of our draft picks this year? Have we traded some away etc?

A 4th for Evans. He didn't want to wait until April to start costing us.

I'm not for running players out of town. I think he still has value. Maybe it will be better if he goes, but I like to give people a chance for redemption. It's better than redemption with an opponent. I never agreed with the Buckner or Byner stuff.

I concur. He is a great player and it would be a waste to let him go now after we had to suffer through a year of injury and relationship building with Joe. He can only do better, and having gone thru what he did with the drop I think he is less likely to have a let down in a big spot than say another wideout who hasn't been in that position before.

And maybe just don't throw him the ball in the final 2 minutes of the 4th quarter of a playoff game when we need to score go-ahead points.

But,that said, he won't make the same mistake twice I bet.

There's a good point too. How many times you think a guy like Evans drops that pass? I'm betting not very many. I'm still intrigued by the field stretching capability that both he and Torrey could have if they both saw the field at the same time. You would think that would give Boldin alot of free time underneath to work his magic.

There's a good point too. How many times you think a guy like Evans drops that pass? I'm betting not very many. I'm still intrigued by the field stretching capability that both he and Torrey could have if they both saw the field at the same time. You would think that would give Boldin alot of free time underneath to work his magic.

Yes - on PAPER, those three receivers, coupled with our two young and talented tight ends, AND one of the best pass catching threats at RB, should be one of the best units in football. It's too bad there isn't someone to blame for our offensive inadequacies...