ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens to begin talks with Flacco

cravnravn

Looking at 2010 and what The Ravens did I see 2 major spots that I question.

The 5th with David Reed. I didn't know really anything about him. After that pick I liked Carlton Mitchell and Dezmon Briscoe. Instead of Harewood in the 6th I liked Antonio Brown who is making Wallace uneeded.

Looking at 2009 I think Nicks would have been a better pick than Oher. I reallly liked Johnny Knox that yr also and he was had in the 5th where the Ravens drafted Jason Phillips.

I have watched over the yrs looking foir the Ravens to grab one of these guys and they never do until last yr.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with that is Ozzie became affraid of drafting the position. Like he was scared of going WR. He let Brian talk him into getting the wrong player. From that day he was scared for what 7 yrs to go back to the well.

Interesting that this has come up.

When Billick was hired he needed a QB from day 1.

During the early part of the Billick era, he and Ozzie were on the same page that you don't draft a QB.

The thinking was that it takes 2-3 years for him to develop and just when he gets good, he becomes a free agent. In essence, you've spent a lot of money, time and resources to develop a player for another team. They reap the rewards.

Free agency was the least expensive way to get one and you are getting a proven player with a body of work to evaluate and plug in.

Darn....it didn't work.

Let's also not forget that the QB position has changed. It's not like it used to be. It's much easier for a QB to make an impact early than it used to be. The rule changes have made it so that many rookie QBs come out gunning. Anyone remember Peyton's rookie year? That was probably the best rookie year I could remember and it was pretty tough for Manning to get anything going. Tons of INT's tons of mistakes. It used to be that 1 or maybe 2 rookies in a draft class would start or even play their first year. Now it's like 5 to 7. That's a big difference.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-0221-20120220,0,5928068.column

Linta was posturing with his praise of Flacco, and that's his job. He is also inexperienced as far as having done top notch deals for quarterbacks which made his statements so early in the negotiations appear silly.

Flacco isn't a top five quarterback because he isn't cerebral or talented enough to run an offense centered around the quarterback like Green Bay does with Aaron Rodgers, New England with Tom Brady and New Orleans with Drew Brees.

Only 1 QB in the past 4 years has more wins than Bazooka Joe Flacco and thats Drew Brees, not Manning, Rogers, Brady, Dickintheforeheadslapper Ben...Nada!!!

No One in the NFL has more road playoff victories, then our own..#5 in your program, #1 in your hearts...JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Only 1 QB in the past 4 years has more wins than Bazooka Joe Flacco and thats Drew Brees, not Manning, Rogers, Brady, Dickintheforeheadslapper Ben...Nada!!!

No One in the NFL has more road playoff victories, then our own..#5 in your program, #1 in your hearts...JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FLACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quarterbacks are not pitchers... they don't get individual win and loss records. There are 53 talented men who contribute to those wins.

I like Flacco, but going by the eyeball test, he's not as good as a lot of guys, and he's not the strength of our team. Those others are all considered strengths.

Joe has also not missed one snap. He's durable as well. I can't believe all those guys that are discounting wins and losses. Joe is a smart guy who doesn't Favre shit up. Alot of this team's success is based on the fact that Flacco doesn't make the costly turnover.

I think we're all forgetting too that Flacco is also very good with the game on the line.

Stats just aren't everything. If they were Romo would be awesome instead of pretty good.

Wins and losses aren't the only gauge that Crav is using, however it's a very important powerful gauge because Flacco has done in CONSISTENTLY. You don't accidentally post 4 consecutive winning seasons as a QB without being pretty damn good. It just doesn't happen. We've all seen guys be successful for a year or two (Sanchez), but then things start falling apart when weaknesses are exposed. We've seen guys like Romo and Ryan being surrounded with more offensive talent and yet, their stats don't propel their teams forward. With the previously mentioned two guys, they do commit the costly turnover in big games.

I'm just saying....if Flacco had 1 or 2 winning seasons, yeah, you can't put much stock in that. Four in a row, four straight playoff appearances, and not a single snap missed? This done mostly an aged Derrick Mason too. Flacco has earned his stripes and proven he deserves a good payday. He's our QB, and with the talent on this team, we're not going to start a rebuilding process. He's not gonna get top 5 money, but he's gonna get paid.

Spear: I agree with you that it takes all 53 to win like the Ravens have done these last 4 years. All 3 units are critical to winning games with offense being 1/3rd of that....so Joe is riding the coat tails of this teams success.

Now...teams don't go on runs like the Ravens have for 4 years straight without a good QB. Joe hasn't earned top 5 money...but I say lock him up and pay him well. One thing is proven...with this QB, who handles the ball every snap...the Ravens have won consistently.

Joe is a big part of the winning formula.

It could take 15 years to find a comprable replacement.

Lock .him up for 7 years at $100 million...that will end up a bargain down the road.

We've made the playoffs four years in a row, as a team, and Flacco has also been a major contributor to our season-ending losses. Let's not forget the interception he threw in the fourth quarter of the pats game, or that there was another play after lee evan's drop where he couldn't convert the first down (and we had a timeout, as we know).

Let's not forget the second-half collapse against Pittsburgh last year, that flacco (and rice) contributed heavily to. Or the costly strip-sack from Polamalu a few years back, when everyone in the stadium knew he was coming.

Flacco is above-average, he's good, he has clunkers a lot more than top 5 qb's, and he has as many flubs as Romo. He just doesn't play in Dallas, and isnt held to a star quarterback standard like Romo is.

Right, cuz McClain has contributed the way a QB contributes in a football game. Honestly. Why didn't you use Ray Lewis? Oh that's right, cuz there's another guy that has a lot more to do with wins and losses.

In any case, Joe clearly has proved himself over time. He's not Brady, but he's also not Fitz.

Wow McClain. Honestly, you would think I was talking about Dickson on offense geez.

No. I have seen that Fitz becomes of no value when he has no QB to get him the ball.

It was a joke. But come on...look at Fitzgerald's stats over the years. He's only had under 1000 yards and 80 receptions once since his rookie year, with all sorts of QB's. Guy's an uncoverable beast.

1000 yds is not some amazing # anymore.

I live in Arizona and get all the Cardinals games. Larry Fitzgerald is in the top 3 WR's in the league.