ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Panthers revoke PSL owners that didnt buy playoff tickets

cravnravn

PANTHERS REVOKE PSLS OF THOSE WHO DIDN’T BUY PLAYOFF TICKETS

Posted by Josh Alper on January 27, 2009, 10:09 a.m.

Many Carolina Panthers season ticket holders received letters in the mail from the team recently. It wasn’t a thank you note and a promise to have great success in 2009, but a note informing them that their personal seat licenses were being revoked because of a failure to purchase playoff tickets.

The owners of the PSLs have been given the opportunity to pay a reinstatement fee, $228 in one case according to the Charlotte Observer. If they don’t pay by Friday, though, they can wave goodbye to their tickets and to the money they spent to buy the PSLs in the first place.

The Panthers are acting within their rights because the agreement with PSL buyers requires them to purchase playoff tickets. Those who didn’t pony up knew there were consequences. That said, it’s a requirement which seems to fall outside the bounds of the PSL arrangement.

Teams justify asking people to buy PSLs by marketing them as assets which can make you money over the long run. The only thing they can actually sell as part of the come-on is the right to buy preseason and regular season games because those are the only things they’re actually able to guarantee. Playoff tickets are a bonus, one that most PSL owners will only be too happy to buy, but a bonus shouldn’t be a requirement. PSL owners should have a right of first refusal on playoff tickets with the team getting the right to sell them to the general public if the owner passes.

Even worse to do it in the midst of an economic crisis and meltdown.

I know plenty of folks in Baltimore who give themselves one gift each year... one major expense... and its their Ravens tickets. Hard working folk who put it all into their Ravens.

And if the Ravens hosted a game you can bet 90% of them would drop everything to be there... but it's not always possible. It's not always affordable.

What douches you are, Panthers.

They did absolutely nothing wrong. You have to understand most teams don't have this agreement; the Panthers do, though, so PSL holders know about it before they buy in. If they aren't willing to go the extra mile for the team, then the organization doesn't want them holding seats.

If they have PSLs in the first place, they probably aren't struggling too much for money, so pulling the "bad economy" wool over our eyes doesn't really fly, either.

If they have PSLs in the first place, they probably aren't struggling too much for money, so pulling the "bad economy" wool over our eyes doesn't really fly, either.

Yeah, in the midst of millions of layoffs... no one with PSLs is going to be affected. And of course, only the rich own PSLs anyway.

Like I said, I know many people who are not exactly rich or swimming in disposable income... but they find a way to make season tickets and a PSL work... its their one expense.

In my mind, this is just as bad as the Wall Street bonuses. PSLs are a nice way for teams to make some extra cash and suck a little more out of fans - they are a big reason the NFL still charges full cost for preseason games, because so many PSL owners are forced to buy preseason prices anyway, the team can charge anything and get away with it - and just like Wall Street, the team looks out for itself instead of the investors. That's what PSLs are... team investments.

---

It's a different conversation, but PSLs are a bit of BS anyway. They are there to help teams pay for stadium construction and maintenance costs. Once you pay your PSL, and you pay for your season seats... why should you have to pay more? And how does the team justify going out and selling the same PSL again?

What they are really saying is that you are "renting" the license... you "buy" it... but if you don't pay for your seats each season or you don't pay for playoff seats in this case... the team gets the PSL back and gets to sell it again? So, in essence, you never really "owned" it, right? In most cases you have the right to sell your PSL (either back to the team or to anyone else), but not if its revoked, obviously.

And? You act like they don't go into this knowing what they're getting into. If these people are struggling to scrape together enough money to get a PSL, they damn sure better be making positive that they can abide by the rules and restrictions provided.

The team was fully in its right to seek PSL buyers that are willing to pay for and attend every game that they contractually agree to. If you can't, then DON'T BUY IT. If enough people, for this reason, DON'T BUY IT, then the team will know that something's wrong and act accordingly. However, as long as people are buying licenses and legally agreeing to what they are, the Panthers organization holds no blame whatsoever; it is entirely the problem and fault of the ignorant buyers in this situation, and there is no excuse.

Do I think PSLs are highway robbery? Quite. But there are many things that fall into that category, and I don't buy them if I have any doubt whatsoever about abiding by what is necessary to remain in good standing.

Do I think PSLs are highway robbery?

Yes they are!! How come Indy just built a brand spanking new state of the art facility with no PSL?

How about NY, not only do the Jets fans have to pay PSL's but so do the Giants Fans..Its one building!!!! and they are quite expensive..

In defense of the folks in Carolina, playoff tickets are released at a bad time of the year, forcing folks to decide whether Johnny needs a new bike for Christmas vs Watching Jake Deholme throw 6 picks vs Arizona.

Force, I'm not saying it's outright wrong... I'm saying it's slimy at a time like this to enforce that kind of crap.

Every where out there breaks are being given because they need to be. PSLs are a luxury for sure. So if the people can't afford the playoff seats, they probably can't afford to renew their season tickets next year... but hey, they could earn a few bucks selling the PSL.

I just think it's sad that the Panthers are enforcing a stupid rule at this point.