ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Pimlico to Shoot Self in Foot

cokedupwerewolf

The problem is that the crowd likes the debauchery. If you take that away then there is no reason to go. I have only placed bets on horse racing at the preakness. I would bet that 50,000 of that infield crowd are the same. They also will not comeback. So now you have your betting dropping into the hole. They are going to lose a fortune on this. Preakness will be in another state very soon I believe.

Well, we'll see in a few months.

But I bet that plenty of people will still go. They will still get shitfaced. And they will still act like morons. But it will still be crazy.

And even if fewer people go, if you're making 1000% more on alcohol and water sales than ever before, you can handle a few losses in tickets.

And finally, no one is taking into account people like me and my parents and others. I'd love to go to Preakness. But I'm not going into the mess of the infield the way my friends do. And I'm not able to afford to go any other way. If these rules settle the infield down, even by 25% (not by numbers, by insanity), than who knows... maybe I'll go. I know tons of folks who hear the word Preakness and go "Why would I ever do that mess? It would be fun if it weren't just an all day riot."

Again I comment on the very reasonable beer pricing. $3.50 for a 16 ounce beer. People can still get bombed if they want for a reasonable price. Now if people still get out of control this year I am sure the prices will skyrocket next year.

Its the truth, look at the lyrics from the 70's to when the kids today and the lyrics of today..And for every decent rapper (Will Smith) I can pull you 50 negative starting with 50 cent

Songs and lyrics were much more innocent then. Harmless innocent songs like:

Yummy, Yummy, Yummy.

I got love in my tummy,

And I feel like a-lovin you:

Love, you're such a sweet thing,

Good enough to eat thing

And that's just a-what I'm gonna do.

Nowadays there are songs about oral sex and stuff.

Again I comment on the very reasonable beer pricing. $3.50 for a 16 ounce beer. People can still get bombed if they want for a reasonable price. Now if people still get out of control this year I am sure the prices will skyrocket next year.

The thing is who wants to go into a 45 min beer line every half hour? Also I don't like Bud. Will they provide my flavor?

Songs and lyrics were much more innocent then. Harmless innocent songs like:

And then there were the beatles on their acid trips who still had 'calm' enough lyrics, but psychodelic is a 70's term for a reason... and between Zeppelin and a number of other groups, there was plenty of sex, drugs and sex music back then.

I mean, I agree that 'gangster rap' is out of control and ridiculous. But to qualify "rap" or "hip hop" in general as being the culprit is stupid. Because just as much pop and rock music is bad in the same ways these days.

The thing is who wants to go into a 45 min beer line every half hour? Also I don't like Bud. Will they provide my flavor?

The people who "like the chaos" are not the type to care about their beer flavor... at least not at that kind of event.

Or the beautiful innocence of the 1967 Doors song "The End".

I hope it was obvious I was joking about the music lyrics, though I'll never believe them when they say "Yummy" is not about oral sex.

Every generation blames the increase in social problems, whether a real increase or just seemingly one, on the on the music and the entertainment of the generations after it.

The thing is who wants to go into a 45 min beer line every half hour?

I dont know, possibly the same people who will wait an hour for a Port-O-Pot? If they really want to cash in, maybe they will have a lot of vendors.

No comments about video games of this generation??

We had Pong.

3.50 for a beer is a bargain compared to 7.00 at the ATM..And as an avid horse player, I find the lines at the betting windows in the infield to be shorter and quicker then in the grandstand area. From the infield, no you cannot actually see a horse race, so thats why they brig in the projection screens.

Stop grasping for straws when comparing music, if Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is the harshest thing you can come up with, then the world would have been a better place.

50 Cent, that's my name

Man I ain't fuckin' playin'

I move on you wit' that Mac mayn (Mac mayn)

Come off, now watch your chain

Fo' I blow out your brains

Shells hit your chest go out your back mayn (back mayn)

See me I put in work, man I been doin' dirt

For so long when niggas get laid out (laid out)

Niggas run through my crib, to holla at the kid

That's when I start bringin' them thangs out (thangs out)

Then we go through the strip, hangin' up out the whip

Dumpin' clips off at they whole clique mayn (clique mayn)

When witnesses around, they know how we get down

So when the cops come they ain't see shit mayn (shit mayn)

My soldiers slangin' 'caine, sunny, snow, in sleet or rain

Come through the hood and you can cop that (cop that)

I'm sittin' on some change, G-Unit gots the game

Come through here stuntin' you get popped at (popped at)

[chorus 2x]

I love to pump crack, love to stay strapped

Love to squeeze gats but you don't hear me though

I love to hit the block, I love my two Glocks

Love to bust shots but you don't hear me though

[Young Buck]

I came in this game knowin' niggas gon' hate me

Just for the simple fact they know that I'm a rida' (rida')

I got a hell of a aim, I keep on tellin' ya mayn

I swear ain't nobody gon' find ya (find ya)

When I get lifted I'm tempted to tear your block up

Your niggas can't run cause I'm behind ya (behind ya)

Me and Chilly in your city wit' a couple nine-milli's

You better stay in line bro' (in line bro')

Cause if I walk it I'll talk it, you know we'll walk up and pop it

I love the sound of gunfire bro' (gunfire bro')

Right now we smackin' 'em wit' platinum

And they hate it cause we made it, that's what we keep that eye for (that eye for)

I represent it cause I'm in it, UTP until I'm finished

Juvenile, they can't stop us (can't stop us)

And I admit it, I live it

I'll knock a baller off his pivot with this motherfuckin' choppa'

[chorus 2x]

[50 Cent]

My twenty-inches spinnin', you always see me grinin'

And you hear niggas call me grimey (grimey)

They hit me wit' them bricks, and I ain't pay 'em shit

I'm outta town, they can't find me (find me)

When I come back around, man I'ma back 'em down

I run up bustin' that Tec mayn (Tec mayn)

If you ain't got a gun, and you can't fuckin' run

My advice is you hit the deck mayn (deck mayn)

But if you get away and come back another day

My soldiers'll leave you wet mayn (wet mayn)

Cause we know where you be, and we know where you stay

And we'll come trippin' through your set mayn (set mayn)

Man you heard what I said, now get it in your head

I ain't payin' no fuckin' debt mayn (debt mayn)

Cause you'se a middle man, but you don't understand

You'se a fuckin' fake ass connect' mayn (connect' mayn)

What can I say

I'm not arguing against the music or video games being dirtier, because you're right, but what does it have to do with this?

Dont you think it has something to d with the hurling of beer cans, (full) into crowds..I think it has to do with the music and video games of this generation.

I am not even convinced that kids are more irresponsible or poorly behaved today than they have been before. Different kinds of trouble perhaps, but the kids (an adults) in previous generations misbehaved too. Some of the stories told to me by my fathers and uncles of their adolescence lead me to believe that my generation, at least people I knew, did not get into as much trouble as they did.

Another big difference is that if people at a Colts game 40 years ago drank their case of beer and caused trouble or got in a drunken fight (and it did happen) there were not cameras all over the placed to record it for all to see.

Its like how kids cannot do anything nowadays because everyone is convinced how much more dangerous the world is for them now but by most studies crimes against children has stayed steady or gone down a bit in the last 40 years. The difference is that if a kid (well a white kid) is missing in Denver with all of the cable news channels and general tabloidy new sources we have it will be a big story all across the country.

I think the access to news (and video) from across the country often creates the illusion that crime, behavior and people in general are worse now than they had been in years past.

And I dont think an normal healthy person's behavior is affected by song lyrics or video games.

I don't think it's the lyrics so much as it is the overall message combined through lyrics, the idolatry of these stars, the way they are followed, and the visuals we get on TV ...

Most people don't know what the lyrics are or what they mean. But between 50 Cent being proud of the number of times he's been shot, his videos showing half-naked women and drug dealers, and the media falling all over themselves (and not just news-magazines like InsideHollywood)... it's not just that kids can't escape being taped, they can't escape what the media is throwing at them.

But it's not just rap or hip-hop as I said earlier. There are many great and inspiring rap and hip-hop artists with very positives messages. The same irresponsibility can be found all over the entertainment industry... and not just in music. You have movie and television stars getting pulled over drunk and getting away with it, acting like morons, dressing like morons... you've got your standard pop and rock stars too... and then you've got people who don't even deserve fame suddenly being icons (yes, you, Paris Hilton).

It's hardly about music or lyrics. It's about the treatment of celebrities as role models.

Unfortunately, I think it hits lower income areas more than it hits other areas. And that's not meant to be racist or any kind of stereo type. And (forgive this bit of off-topic editorial, but) it bothers the hell out of me when I see people claiming to be in need spending their money to "look" better instead of BE better. My family was far from wealthy growing up, so we got no-name brands from no-name stores and 75% of my clothes were hand-me-downs from cousins and siblings. And it sucked. But I survived and my family survived and actually moved up later because of it. And we were "middle class." So how anyone in a worse situation gets away with owning new cars and new suits is beyond me...

Only the flaw is I'm sure the Preakness has crazy has been going on for more than last 10 years and really prior to that who are you blaming? 10 years ago you had Death Row (2pac, Snoop, etc.) and Biggie and besides them most rap music was pretty positive. A Tribe Called Quest, KRS-ONE, etc., so who do you blame? Super Mario Brothers, Zelda and A Tribe Called Quest? Gimme a break.

Video games is also a pretty big joke when you look at it....

Top 20 Video games only 1 game b considered violent(16. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas)

Top 10 Video game franchises only 2 can be considered violent (6. Grand Theft Auto and 10. Tom Clancy)

Of every game system only Xbox, 360, PS 2&3 have violent games near the top of there best selling game lists. Those systems didn't start until 1999.