ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What the...?

oldno82

It is 50/50... I can match all the names below with a clunker...Like Scott Mitchell...Stoney Case...:)

Ozzie nailed it big "back in the day"...McCrary, Goose, Adams, Sharpe, Gash,...Dilfer...:)

Lately, Pryce, Leach, Boldin, Mason, Cary Williams, Ayambadejo, Bannan, Leonard, Redding, Birk, McKinnie....and yes!...there are busts a'plenty also. Stallworth ect.

We forget that many FA's are there for a role or depth and they are servicable and a part of helping the team win. The Ravens squeeze a year or two more out of these experienced, proven players careers while they are drafting and developing players to step into their roles.

Art and Ozzie's motto on signing free agents is to "sign free agents selectively"....meaning to fill a need...not to look to free agency to build the core of the team.

All of your hits from the past are in Shack's tenure. I wouldn't put Stallworth on that list of busts. One I believe he was cheap and two Cam didn't want to use him. I also have made a delineation between cheap FA's and high priced. Leonard was dirt cheap and out played his deal. Also dirt cheap guys are also there many times as depth and bodies.

It is 50/50... I can match all the names below with a clunker...Like Scott Mitchell...Stoney Case...:)

Ozzie nailed it big "back in the day"...McCrary, Goose, Adams, Sharpe, Gash,...Dilfer...:)

Lately, Pryce, Leach, Boldin, Mason, Cary Williams, Ayambadejo, Bannan, Leonard, Redding, Birk, McKinnie....and yes!...there are busts a'plenty also. Stallworth ect.

We forget that many FA's are there for a role or depth and they are servicable and a part of helping the team win. The Ravens squeeze a year or two more out of these experienced, proven players careers while they are drafting and developing players to step into their roles.

Art and Ozzie's motto on signing free agents is to "sign free agents selectively"....meaning to fill a need...not to look to free agency to build the core of the team.

The line with Pryce etc are not from the past. Papa can argue and argue and argue but the fack remains. 50/50 is a good thing for FAs. End of story. There's easily somewhere close to 50/50 on FA pickups. We don't go after the high-priced guys because they rarely pay off.

So Searcy, Grbac, and McNair were cheap signings. Thanks for helping me with that one.

No obviously we know that we missed on them. What you just fail to want to acknowledge as you always do is that you're wrong.

The high priced guys you talk about were signed during "your man Shack's" era. Hmmmmm. In any case, it has been brought up routinely that 50/50 is acceptable especially for the guys that we target. We're filling holes. Every team in the league has to fill holes and we do a pretty damn good job of that.

I would like to address all three of your previously mentioned guys:

Searcy: Would have been a good pickup, was there a way to previously know that he would have torn his tricep while training with us?

McNair: Did what he was supposed to do. He was a stop gap at QB, an attempt to take a good team to the SB. The result, a 13-3 season. How is that not successful? The playoff was rough, but the team we lost to won the Super Bowl.

Grbac: Was there a way to know that a QB coming off a pro bowl was going to cry on the field? If so please enlighten us with you introspective ways. More importantly, please apply for a front office job with the Ravens.

And to summarize I would like to reiterate that these guys were picked up when you said we were better at picking up FAs. Are we supposed to never miss?

Searcy was a walking injury by that point in his career. He was in and out coming from Mia at the time.

McNair was the wrong guy that yr. I was all in on Brees who was not offered anything from Ozzie. He only got offers from Mia who pulled it and NO. His contract was cheap for the kind of player he was. How good would the offense have been had Brees been the QB over the last 5-6 yrs?

Grbac on paper was great. But he was a garbage time stat guy. In that we don't really see their games so we can be led to believe he was great. The FO gets to watch all the tapes so they do not have that argument.