ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

What the...?

oldno82

This basicly nails it...

The addition of former Bengals guard Bobbie Williams reveals how desperate the Baltimore Ravens are at that position.

bal.gifThis shows a lack of confidence in rookie second-round pick Kelechi Osemele and Jah Reid, who were expected to compete for that starting spot. While Williams adds much-needed experience, I'm not sure if Baltimore really improved itself. The Ravens are still going to go from a Pro Bowl guard (Ben Grubbs) to one who will turn 36 in September and is coming off ankle surgery (Williams).

The Ravens potentially have one of the oldest lines in the league now. They might have three starters in their 30s: Williams, left tackle Bryant McKinnie (32) and center Matt Birk (35).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49431/ravens-look-desperate-in-signing-williams

Where is the game won?

On the scoreboard.....

This is depressing news, well maybe not all depressing

In nine games for the Bengals last season, Williams took a step back as a powerful run blocker but he graded out positively as a pass protector. Williams, who played right guard for the Bengals, might not technically be replacing Grubbs, who played on the left side. If the Ravens go with Williams at right guard, they would move Marshal Yanda to the left.

Edited by cravnravn

You guys just love signing our castoffs don't you? :laugh:

How many is it?

Willie was a good signing...helped them to the AFC playoffs.

TJ helped knock them out...he basicly added nothing.

I'm not happy about Bobbie....nothing personal, but he's too old with too many miles. He was very good "in his day"

The more I chew this over, the more I agree with Max. This guy is too old. Our line is too old and the game is won in the trenches.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bobbie is younger than Ray.

I like this signing.

I don't like what this means for KO and Jah Ried for 2012, but maybe they just need time.

I don't think Williams is depth, I think they signed him to be the right guard in 2012.

From what I saw watching him play us, this guy was tough. He seemed to spend a lot of time in Ray Lewis' grill. Not a lot of side to side speed, but good power and good ability to lock up on inside backers. I don't see him spending a lot of time on screens or pulling for us though. In this respect, it is a big downgrade from Grubbs.

Still, he was suspended/injured for all of except 6 games I think last year. He may not be near the same player he was in 2010 but I think he has one good year left and he will be a bridge to KO for us.

Another thought, he and Harbaiugh have to be familar with one another. Williams was drafted in the 2nd round by Philly in 2000, I think Harbaugh was on that staff at the time.

Additionally, Williams made the transition from college tackle to pro guard. It took him all of 2000 and part of 2001 but he made a great transition. Harbaugh saw all of that, maybe he is thinking who better to take KO or Reid under his wing and show them the way to make the transition from college tackle to pro guard? Maybe, who knows? I hope so.

Still, I like this signing.

You know, where did anyone state that they didn't miss on a FA? Honestly, sometimes I feel like people are just here to go oh oh oh.....you're wrong! Nuh uh.

Quickly it was brought up on the FA that we missed on. Fine.

Housch: We didn't expect much from him, he was cut from the Seahawks. He was brought for Vet leadership. He provided that. He was not brought here to catch 50 balls. Period. His drop albeit untimely was not the deciding factor in that game. He did what the FO expected him to do. Be able to contribute as a 3rd or 4th receiver.

Evans: How could we see an injury in pre-season coming? Crystal ball aside this would have been a great pick up if he stayed healthy. Hindsight....so because of injury you can't make a determination here. The drop, untimely and disappointing.

Just wanted to point those two things out.

Now let's talk about some other FAs.

Birk

McGahee

Pollard

Leech

Goose

Adams

Wilson (cb)

I know there's more. All guys that did contribute to the team. My point is, there have been plenty of FA's that have done very well here. The FO has done very well in this dept. You can't expect them to never miss.

It's an unrealistic expectation especially when you consider the talent pool that they're pulling from. They're going through the retreds. Guys that were cut and injured. To hit even 50% of the time is in my opinion very good. We don't go after big name FAs. We fill those holes through the draft and resign the players worth resigning.

Thinking about it, McGahee was a trade and yes compared to his contract you could have expected more. However he was a contributor.

Just saying, if we're talking about whether the FO does well with FAs let's look at this deeper than just going....."nooooooo these guys sucked!" Hitting on FAs isn't that easy. If it was, GMs wouldn't get paid as much as they do.

You know, where did anyone state that they didn't miss on a FA? Honestly, sometimes I feel like people are just here to go oh oh oh.....you're wrong! Nuh uh.

Quickly it was brought up on the FA that we missed on. Fine.

Housch: We didn't expect much from him, he was cut from the Seahawks. He was brought for Vet leadership. He provided that. He was not brought here to catch 50 balls. Period. His drop albeit untimely was not the deciding factor in that game. He did what the FO expected him to do. Be able to contribute as a 3rd or 4th receiver.

Evans: How could we see an injury in pre-season coming? Crystal ball aside this would have been a great pick up if he stayed healthy. Hindsight....so because of injury you can't make a determination here. The drop, untimely and disappointing.

Just wanted to point those two things out.

Now let's talk about some other FAs.

Birk

McGahee

Pollard

Leech

Goose

Adams

Wilson (cb)

I know there's more. All guys that did contribute to the team. My point is, there have been plenty of FA's that have done very well here. The FO has done very well in this dept. You can't expect them to never miss.

It's an unrealistic expectation especially when you consider the talent pool that they're pulling from. They're going through the retreds. Guys that were cut and injured. To hit even 50% of the time is in my opinion very good. We don't go after big name FAs. We fill those holes through the draft and resign the players worth resigning.

Thinking about it, McGahee was a trade and yes compared to his contract you could have expected more. However he was a contributor.

Just saying, if we're talking about whether the FO does well with FAs let's look at this deeper than just going....."nooooooo these guys sucked!" Hitting on FAs isn't that easy. If it was, GMs wouldn't get paid as much as they do.

Screw Willis being a contributor. For what they paid him he should have been more useful.

Birk has been OK. They needed more and he has gotten much worse over the last few yrs.

With FA pick ups you should look pre and post Shack Harris. So Goose, Adams, Mac, and others were guys Shack found. Since then the FA pick ups have been inconsistent.

All FA pickups are inconsistent.........follow me now, that's why they are FAs. We don't go after big name FAs, it's very rare. We were just as inconsistent in our past as we are now at finding FA. Very weak argument. Every team has weaknesses. Birk has done what needed to be done based on what we had available to get. 4 playoff trips is evidence of this. Two straight 12 win seasons is evidence of this. Birk was not the reason we did not win it all.

So, in conclusion.......our front office is pretty good at picking up FAs. Not flawless, but pretty good. We've done as good a job as anybody with retred vets. Maybe.....not follow me......just maybe......that's why we're holding out Bryant. Hmmmmm, the ways of Harbaugh are so very perplexing.

We don't sign high priced FAs. We go after the middle and bottom of the pile. It makes sense because the FAs at the top of the list ALWAYS want more money. So we get a 50/50 deal. I'm ok with that cuz our meat and potatoes are home grown, just like every other succesful team in the NFL.

Ask the eagles and redskins how getting the big FAs works.

For every Mason there is a Foxworth etc.....With how little we rely on FAs hitting a 50/50 rate is acceptable. We build through the draft and supplement where necessary through FA. We don't spend big unless we have a glaring weakness. I'm fine with that. It works better than the Redskins model and allows your team to be much deeper in terms of talent because building through the draft is cheaper.

For every Mason there is a Foxworth etc.....With how little we rely on FAs hitting a 50/50 rate is acceptable. We build through the draft and supplement where necessary through FA. We don't spend big unless we have a glaring weakness. I'm fine with that. It works better than the Redskins model and allows your team to be much deeper in terms of talent because building through the draft is cheaper.

Now there's a man that speaks some sanity. Give him a beer!