ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I give up

cravnravn

Also - Olympic boxing is far different from regular boxing. Only four rounds, two minutes per - quite different from the 10-15 round bouts we see with so much damage coming in the later rounds. Second, Olympic boxers wear headgear to protect them from severe damage. Third, Olympic boxing is scored by # of hits, not just "who did better."

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you can beat on a guy endlessly who wont go down. To my knowledge 2 people have died in mma since it's invention in 1993. There are on average 8 or so who die each yr in boxing. Also there was no dilineation between amature and pro. If you have olympic rules they could end a fight that goes to cuts.

You can beat a guy endlessly in either sport... in both sports the ref can stop it. But in boxing, if he falls down, you stop - which is one more way to end the violence than in MMA, no?

And certainly, many die in boxing. Who knows how many die in MMA? It's a far smaller sport right now. As you point out, no way to know when you consider the number of unsanctioned fights that are likely happening.

In the end, the Olympic boxing rules make it - at least somewhat - tolerable. Not sure how you would do the same to MMA without taking the heart of the sport away.

Please Pops, they stop a boxing match at the first sight of blood..

And that's why they're wussies and MMA dominates the rating over them.

They don't end boxing matches at blood except amatures. There are amature MMA fights. They have altered the rules for those. The same can be done for the olympics. There are plenty of backroom boxing matches where I would not be shocked if people die too. But in the pro ranks there have been something like 2 dead in MMA in 19 yrs. There are about 8 per yr in pro boxing. so please show me how MMA is more dangerous than boxing.

Hey Dc, did you catch Phelps last night after his 200m interview with Andrea Kramer? He's a cocky one, he wouldnt answer one question, he says his swimming will silence the critics..Which he absolutely destroyed that field last night, he was just toying with them, that last 25m he put it in cruise control.

Didnt you lifeguard at that swim club? That girl from there is pretty impressive herself..

Edited by cravnravn

I didn't lifeguard at Meadowbrook, but I did grow up with Phelps - k-12. And I swam/coached in the area for a long time.

One of the announcers said it right last night... Phelps didn't really train for the 400, so it's funny to hear everyone freaking about it. Since then, he had the 2nd fastest time in the 4x100 relay (Lochte's swim really hurt the US there... and he flopped in the 200 too!) and now Phelps has had the fastest time in the 200 fly. And I agree, he was on cruise control for the first 150m of it. I think he'll take a few more gold in the coming days and shut some people up.

Thats where you have it wrong, its todays society..Billy, what was the most violent video game we had growing up?

I think you're a few years older than me but when I was a kid there were plenty of violent video games. Now they were for Atari or early PC so they didn't look realistic but they were around. Nor do I think they cause any problems in society.

As for MMA/UFC etc (they are all the same to me) every time I see it on its a couple of wet sweaty guys hugging and rolling around together. I mean I guess I see the appeal for some people, but its not really my thing.

We had PONG..But I do recall my eldest Son, had a fighting game, that if you typed in a code that fighting game now showed blood, and tatas. My eldest Son is 28, now my daughter is in her 30's and I dont recall any violent games out during her time growing up.

We had PONG..But I do recall my eldest Son, had a fighting game, that if you typed in a code that fighting game now showed blood, and tatas. My eldest Son is 28, now my daughter is in her 30's and I dont recall any violent games out during her time growing up.

They were right in the Playstation era, it came out in 1994 and there were plenty of violent games for that console and every other at that time. Doom, Duke Nukem, Tomb Raider, its a huge list. No different from the games now, except for the look.

If you want to go back to Atari you can too, they had lots of violence,but little gore because it was hard graphically. Some did have some though. There was a Halloween video game in the early 80s that when you died your head was cut off and blood spurted out. Arcade games in the 80s had a ton of violence and gore too.

Thats where you have it wrong, its todays society..Billy, what was the most violent video game we had growing up?

Donkey Kong? Missle Command? Pac Man? Oh... and Asteroids.

Yeah see what I mean, look what the kids have today, titty bars, shootings with blood squirting, stabbings with blood squirting..I just happened to walk my youngest playing Mortal Combat WTF that was some serious stuff!!! Just think it leads to what we see on the tube today..And yes Im fully aware there were bare fist fights going on in the 70's, but it was never publicised.