ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I give up

cravnravn

I'm not justifying it, just correcting your statement.

It was totally political. The Olympics wanted baseball to look like Olympic basketball - and to some extent soccer. They wanted to see the best players from every nation on the field to make their money. Because of the MLB season, most of those players were unavailable. Some probably wouldn't have played anyway - like players who remove themselves from basketball and soccer - but in the given circumstance, they had no opportunity. The Olympics played their hand.

With softball - and somewhat so for baseball - the Olympics also made the argument that the sport did not have enough support worldwide. It has to be played on (I think) five continents. I'm sure both sports are, but not with the same enthusiasm as many others. (Similarly, though, I don't think race-walking is a legit sport contended on 5 continents... except because the Olympics promotes it)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah see what I mean, look what the kids have today, titty bars, shootings with blood squirting, stabbings with blood squirting..I just happened to walk my youngest playing Mortal Combat WTF that was some serious stuff!!! Just think it leads to what we see on the tube today..And yes Im fully aware there were bare fist fights going on in the 70's, but it was never publicised.

Well naturally all video games and TV shows are not appropriate for kids. Games with nudity or even lots of violence are rated M and not sold to minors. In the case of video games and other entertainment parents may need to do some parenting and determine what they think is appropriate or not for their kids.

I have played video games all my life, and there have been violent games the entire time. For a trifecta of violence, nudity, and racism check out 1982's "Custers Revenge". It just probably wont shock anyone because of the primitive look. Well except for the rape.

I have played video games all my life, and there have been violent games the entire time. For a trifecta of violence, nudity, and racism check out 1982's "Custers Revenge". It just probably wont shock anyone because of the primitive look. Well except for the rape.

They actually charged $50 for that crappy game? The only rape going on was upon the people buying it.

I'm not justifying it, just correcting your statement.

It was totally political. The Olympics wanted baseball to look like Olympic basketball - and to some extent soccer. They wanted to see the best players from every nation on the field to make their money. Because of the MLB season, most of those players were unavailable. Some probably wouldn't have played anyway - like players who remove themselves from basketball and soccer - but in the given circumstance, they had no opportunity. The Olympics played their hand.

With softball - and somewhat so for baseball - the Olympics also made the argument that the sport did not have enough support worldwide. It has to be played on (I think) five continents. I'm sure both sports are, but not with the same enthusiasm as many others. (Similarly, though, I don't think race-walking is a legit sport contended on 5 continents... except because the Olympics promotes it)

That is horsecrap. Baseball has to be the #2 or 3 sport in the world. Softball is also very popular.

Baseball is played in the Americas and East Asia. Don't think you'll find much of it in Europe, Africa or Australia.

Again - not necessarily agreeing with Olympic decision, especially on softball, just reciting their reasons.

To bad the greatest olympian is such a dick.

OK lets hear your explanation as to why..

How cool is this, I lived 41 years in Baltimore, home of Phelps, I now live in Volusia County, home of Lochte..

Heres something I heard on the news tonight, the medals that are won by the Americans, when they arrive back to the states, they have to pay taxes on them!!!! Yagaddabeshiddingme..No wonder Owebama was the first on the phone to congradulate the Fab 5, there 5 gold medals will be taxed to the sum of 9000.00...Only in America!!!!

I think they are being taxed for the cash prizes they are awarded when they win the gold, silver, or bronze. They get a bonus from the US Olympic Committee for 25000, 15000, or 10000. You can blame Obama if you want but they have been charged since a change in the tax code in 86. I don't think Obama was behind that.

Also I think other countries besides us tax them too.

Not saying it a good thing to do but its not new and it'd not just us.

OK lets hear your explanation as to why..

How cool is this, I lived 41 years in Baltimore, home of Phelps, I now live in Volusia County, home of Lochte..

Heres something I heard on the news tonight, the medals that are won by the Americans, when they arrive back to the states, they have to pay taxes on them!!!! Yagaddabeshiddingme..No wonder Owebama was the first on the phone to congradulate the Fab 5, there 5 gold medals will be taxed to the sum of 9000.00...Only in America!!!!

since 2008 he has been an ass all over town. There are countless times he has been in bars being a complete dick. Like I read in FB this morning "Good things happen to bad people."

Papa... I'd love for you to get more specific on Phelps. I know him. We're not the best of friends; I can't say my favorite person in the world. But I also think the reports of him being an ass are greatly exaggerated. I've yet to have anyone really tell me something he's done - aside from occasionally get too drunk in their presence.

Go for it!

By the way, and I don’t want to speak for Michael Phelps – who is a Ravens’ season ticket holder – but I’m pretty sure he’ll accept an invitation to serve as an honorary captain at a home game this season. How huge will the reaction be when our public address announcer, Bruce Cunningham, says: “Ladies and Gentlemen, Baltimore’s own, the most decorated athlete in Olympic history: Michael Phelps.”

Should we do this for the Monday night opener against the Bengals? Or the Sunday night special when the Patriots come?

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2012/08/03/byrne-identity-ravens-rookie-workshops-would-make-us-all-smarter/

He's a Ravens Fanatic...he gets a lifetime break.

Smith, Phelps Trade Tweets

Shortly after American swimmer Michael Phelps made history by winning a gold medal in the 4 × 200 meter freestyle relay to become the most decorated Olympian ever (19 overall medals at the time), receiver Torrey Smith tweeted about the unprecedented accomplishment.

03_LFW_TorreyPhelps_news.jpg

“Really enjoying watching history,” wrote Smith. “@MichaelPhelps is that dude!!!

You could say Phelps still had a lot on his plate when he received Smith’s tweet.

He was still preparing for the men’s 200 individual medley – which he ended up winning over fellow American Ryan Lochte yesterday and set another Olympic record with the most gold medals ever (16 golds, 20 total medals) – and was bombarded with a host of other tweets and calls.

The list of those reaching out to Phelps included Lil Wayne, Kimmie Meissner, Warren Sapp, Young Jeezy and Missy Franklin. Oh and not to mention a personal phone call from President Barack Obama.

Phelps.jpgStill, Phelps replied, showing some excitement to see Smith in action himself.

“Thanks bro!!! Looking forward for the season to start!!!” he wrote.

Phelps, a Baltimore native who was born and raised in the Rodgers Forge neighborhood of Towson, is a self-professed Ravens fanatic.

He served as an honorary captain at a Titans-Ravens game in 2008 after he won eight gold medals in the Summer Olympics in Beijing.

Unsure that he wanted to compete in the London Olympics, Phelps credited linebacker Ray Lewis for helping him rekindle his Olympic fire and motivating him to continue his rigorous training.

“Someone who helped me find the passion back was Ray Lewis,” Phelps told The Baltimore Sun in May. “He’s been able to help me kind of just find me.

“I love to watch him play. It sends chills up my spine. And his words are so powerful. It’s what friends are for.”

http://blogs.baltimo...s-trade-tweets/

14271.jpg "I say we make Michael an honorary board member and let him skip our stringent personality and mental acumen tests.

Why shouldn't we profit from his medals?

Edited by vmax

Right, because the bartender who calls Ed Norris is the most reliable source out there. Just like any online review - you only bring out two kinds of people (really one kind of person) when you ask for feedback: those who really want to say something loud.

I'm not defending him because I know him. I'm defending him against random strangers who report "he was an ass" but have no evidence to back it up.

Let's start a rumor that PapaSmurf likes to touch little boys. No need to back it up - I heard it on a website and then it was repeated on the radio by someone who heard it online and saw you once in a bar and heard you make a joke about Jerry Sandusky!

No. You should have legit, specific evidence. "A bartender" said he was "an ass" on a radio show. Aside from that being weak in itself - what was he doing that was so asshole-ish? - how does that create a pattern of behavior?

In all honesty, one reason I'm not close with Phelps is that in high school he was a bit distant. To some, I'm sure he was an ass. But, that was high school. I was an ass many times. In fact, I still am frequently. But I wouldn't say it's my dominant character trait - or even close. And many of my friends who don't care for him, based on his behavior 10 years ago, tend to forget that it was high school. All I'm saying is - where's the real evidence? Did he knock someone's dad off a bar stool? Take a handicapped parking space? Get really drunk and sing too loudly? Grab a girl's ass? Or was he just not as nice as someone wanted him to be?