ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Another Cam Cameron revelation

FlaccoForever

I disagree.

There is a team philosophy and strategy on how to win games. The Offense, Defense and Special Teams work in tandum to achieve that.

Cam has to fit his offense into that.

Ozzie gets him big ass road grading lineman because he wants to run. He wants to be physical.

They want to win the field position battle, time of possession, turnovers and control the game....Ravens football.

To Cam, Ozzie and Harbaugh a dump off pass to Ray Rice is a run. They want him in the second level with the ball.

Joe is a "Steward" with the ball. His job is to not turn it over, and put the D in a tight spot. Joe does that well.

Joe has to be able to make the "big play". He does that well too.

For most of his career Joe did not have the pass protecting line and receivers that he needed for this team to be pass happy. So Cam put Joe in the best position to succeed as a QB and for the offense to succeed in their role of the overall game plan for winning.

Slowly Ozzie's been getting Joe and Cam the pieces to open it up and really be deadly.

Just might see it happen this year.

I disagree.

There is a team philosophy and strategy on how to win games. The Offense, Defense and Special Teams work in tandum to achieve that.

Cam has to fit his offense into that.

Ozzie gets him big ass road grading lineman because he wants to run. He wants to be physical.

They want to win the field position battle, time of possession, turnovers and control the game....Ravens football.

To Cam, Ozzie and Harbaugh a dump off pass to Ray Rice is a run. They want him in the second level with the ball.

Joe is a "Steward" with the ball. His job is to not turn it over, and put the D in a tight spot. Joe does that well.

Joe has to be able to make the "big play". He does that well too.

For most of his career Joe did not have the pass protecting line and receivers that he needed for this team to be pass happy. So Cam put Joe in the best position to succeed as a QB and for the offense to succeed in their role of the overall game plan for winning.

Slowly Ozzie's been getting Joe and Cam the pieces to open it up and really be deadly.

Just might see it happen this year.

Vmax that is very well said man. At the end of the day it comes down to the personnel you have. Cameron wants to run a vertical passing offense and now he has the weapons to do that.

But a coach needs to adjust his philosophy to what the players has can do. Rex did that here very well.

Rex also had special players in Ray, Ed, Suggs, and Ngata. Outside of Ray Rice no other player on offense scared defenses before last year. With the emergence of Torrey Smith, Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, and Jacoby Jones to go along with Boldin and Rice Cameron has more to work with. He can be more flexible, you need dynamic playmakers in the Air Coryell offense.

For a few yrs Rex had suspect CB's. He was not exploited with those guys because he sent pressure and made it so they weren't on an island to long.

When you have Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata on your front 7 it helps you in bringing pressure. Rex doesn't have a front seven quite as good in New York but he has Revis and Cromartie as his CBs. While Rex is a great defensive coach it still doesn't eliminate the fact that he had and continues to have special players to make things much easier for him. Cameron has worked with WRs who flat out didn't scare defenses, Derrick Mason garnered respect but not fear. Todd Heap was and continues to be a shell of himself so he wasn't as good as he was early in his career. Don't get me started on Mark Clayton or Demetrius Williams. The trio of Boldin, Mason and Houshmanzadeh could catch but they all were basically the same type of WR, no speed. Smith, Jones, Boldin, Dickson, and Pitta all present matchup problems and will give Cameron more flexibility. I will admit that Cameron could have been more creative but he can only do so much.

OK but 2 yrs ago when Cam had possesion WR's and he kept trying to run Air Coriel it made no sense. He had solid TE's. He had a great RB. He had a much better than average QB. It would have helped a suspect OL shortening up their time to pass protect. But he was being bull headed and was doing what he wanted regardless.

This isn't about Rex.

It's about Cam getting the most out of what he had to work with and his unit being a contributing factor to the Ravens overall strategy to win games.

Their winning record is proof enough.

That Ozzie and Harbaugh want him is proof that he's a "team coach" and doing well within their winning philosophy.

Shit...he had a rookie QB, rookie RB and rookie HC and went to the playoffs in his first year as the Ravens OC.

Cam Cameron, among the most respected and highly-regarded coordinators in the NFL, is in his fifth season leading the Ravens’ offense. He has guided a unit that has made significant improvements during the John Harbaugh Era (2008-11). Over that span, the Ravens have rushed for 131.3 yards per game (fourth in NFL) and scored 68 rushing TDs (tied for fourth best). In addition, Baltimore, which set a team record with only 22 turnovers in 2010, has committed only 87 turnovers, the NFL’s fourth-fewest since 2008. The team’s 2008 first-round draft pick, QB Joe Flacco, has started every game the last four seasons, becoming the first starting QB in NFL history (since 1970 merger) to lead his team to the playoffs in each of his first four seasons. Among starting QBs, Flacco is tied (Drew Brees) for most wins in the NFL (49, including playoffs) since 2008. In 2009, the Ravens were the NFL’s ninth best in scoring (24.4 ppg), up from 24th in 2007, also setting franchise records for most total TDs (47) and most rushing TDs (22). In his first season in Baltimore (2008), Cameron built a creative offense that ranked fourth in the NFL in rushing (148.5 ypg), first in time of possession (33:10) and 11th in points per game (24.1 ppg).

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Coaches/Cam_Cameron.aspx

But 2 yrs ago I do not think he got the most out of them. Why would he have Stallworth basically only run reverses when he was on the field. That season he touched the ball 7 times. Only two were receptions. I believe those 2 catches were right at the end of the season.

You do make a good point but you do have to wonder how healthy was he. Stallworth also hasn't set the world on fire since he left the Ravens.

But 2 yrs ago I do not think he got the most out of them. Why would he have Stallworth basically only run reverses when he was on the field. That season he touched the ball 7 times. Only two were receptions. I believe those 2 catches were right at the end of the season.

but this isn't 2 years ago. so leave 2 years ago where it is. in the past.

This might be a 1st but I think everyone has a fair point here.

Cam has run his offense to best suit what the team needs. I think I read a point from Flacco that he would like to see us more aggressive after half time and take teams out rather than trying to sit on a lead and see a 17-0 game turn into a 17-14 win. He wants to see us put teams away in the 3rd so he can go take a seat. Cam has basically shut up shop on each occassion we have a half time lead but perhaps that is knowing how good the D is and wanting to make sure we don't turn the ball over and give up quick scores. On this I agree with max.

Papa, I also absolutely agree with you that he was running an offense that didn't suit his players. We just didn't have the speed to run Mason, Boldin and Housh 30 yards deep on every pass play a couple of years ago. We should have been feeding Ds a steady dose of slants to Boldin and hooks to Mason. Last year we had Torrey for the deep stuff and Boldin started to look better taking more of the underneath stuff but there was still too many times that Boldin was wandering down field and Flacco had no one to throw too.

Jurys out, Brees is the perfect example, he struggled under Cam, since leaving Cam he has become an elite QB..Brees fav target in San Diego was LT..I see the same pattern with Joe and Rice...

Are we wasting Boldins talent in this scheme? Boldin had big numbers with Lineart as his QB, since hes been under Cam, Boldins numbers have declined, sharply.

Jurys out, Brees is the perfect example, he struggled under Cam, since leaving Cam he has become an elite QB..Brees fav target in San Diego was LT..I see the same pattern with Joe and Rice...

Are we wasting Boldins talent in this scheme? Boldin had big numbers with Lineart as his QB, since hes been under Cam, Boldins numbers have declined, sharply.

First of all crav Brees was pretty good under Cameron his last two years in San Diego, he just wasn't elite. You are right Brees did have LT but he also had Antonio Gates who was developed in Cameron's system. Yes Cameron has not properly used Boldin but hopefully Jacoby Jones can be a consistent outside threat which will allow Boldin to stay in the slot. Cameron finally has the players to run his system properly. He could have been more creative with what he had but at the end of the day he can't make Houshmanzadeh, Mason and Boldin run faster. He wants to run a vertical passing offense and now he has the threats that will allow him to do that.

Personally I think being a coordinator is a careful balancing act. Especially when you are new to an organization. I believe that the more Cam is here the more successful he will become because he will begin to have players that will suitably fit his system. However I don't think there is any question that Cam did not properly utilize some of the players early on. Boldin for example, this guy runs a viscious WR screen. He's big and physical and CB's just have trouble bringing him down. I can't recall one time that Cam threw the screen Boldin's way. He threw it to our other guys including Housch and Smith. Both smaller guys. All and all, I think Cam has done a good job here in Baltimore. I don't agree with everything he does, but what does that matter because he's had regular season and playoff success. And, the offense has improved since Cam arrived. Anyone what Cavanaugh back?