ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

IF

cravnravn

The season ended today, the O's are in the playoffs, they are tied with Detroit for the 1st wildcard spot...

I seen Buck on Baseball Tonight on the MLB Network..He is just gleaming about Machada...And now Thome is getting ready to come off the DL List..Plus theres what 6 games left with the Spankees...This is unbelieveable!!!!

And next season, please, please, please cut ties with Brian Roberts..

Talking pennant in Baltimore brings back some real good memories...Anybody want to ship me down some Natty Boh, we do have blue crabs here..

Why should they cut ties with Brian? His salary is guaranteed, so we get no financial incentive to get rid of him. Perhaps you're meaning that getting rid of him will force us to then find another second baseman, but you know this team and that's not really true of them. They'll continue to settle for Andino or Quintanilla, or find another sloppy left over veteran... best we can bet for in fact is that they promote LJ Hoes in the coming days/weeks. I don't know why we haven't yet. (Actually, I do know... it's because Quintanilla has played pretty well)

I'm tired of the Brian hate. There is no legitimate reason to pay Brian without asking him to try and play...

Yea...don't bash on Roberts. He had a very serious injury...life changing...he could have sat back and just collected his money. Instead he's tried hard as hell to get back to playing and contributing.

This season is a huge success for me. To be able to have this conversation on 8/11/12 is why.That I follow them everyday must be some kind of statement because I stopped about 12 years ago. They are vwinning back the fans.

Right now I have a ton of faith and belief in Buck. That's growing for Dan too.

I'm also very happy for the die hard Oriole fans who have stuck with this team. They have put up with a lot of shit. They really deserve a winner.

Every game now has meaning. That is huge.

Why should they cut ties with Brian? His salary is guaranteed, so we get no financial incentive to get rid of him. Perhaps you're meaning that getting rid of him will force us to then find another second baseman, but you know this team and that's not really true of them. They'll continue to settle for Andino or Quintanilla, or find another sloppy left over veteran... best we can bet for in fact is that they promote LJ Hoes in the coming days/weeks. I don't know why we haven't yet. (Actually, I do know... it's because Quintanilla has played pretty well)

I'm tired of the Brian hate. There is no legitimate reason to pay Brian without asking him to try and play...

I was a big proponent of promoting LJ Hoes to play second but apparently the guy just cannot play the position (scouting reports say he lacks the lateral movement). It is a shame too because his bat would have profiled really well too. Hoes is a good athlete with a high baseball IQ, but with a below average arm he is stuck playing LF. I LOVE Hoes' bat though...

Q has been a nice surprise. It is probably unrealistic to expect him to continue hitting like he is, but I think it's safe to say he's at least better than what Luis Hernandez gave us a few years back. Q is a rock solid defender at 2B though.

Can Hoes play 1st?

I'm sure he could learn but his bat would be very unsuited for a first baseman's production. Heck though I like the idea. if he could play above average defense at first while posting an OBP of .360+ (his career minor league average is .385 and it's currently .399 in AAA) that's leagues better than what we currently have.

As for B-Rob, I say give him one more year before Schoop is ready to take over. Schoop is a guy I'm really excited about! Not as polished as Machado so he is going to take some more time, but Schoop has great power potential!

DC Roberts hasnt given us a full season since 2009..Enough is enough, he was supposed to be a fan fav to replace Ripken, he failed..His last 3 seasons hes played in 17, 39 and 59 games..WTF, how much are we paying him???? time to CUT the cord

I think Roberts is done and I think the Orioles should search for a long term replacement for 2b but I do not think they have to cut ties completely with Roberts. Dont expect much but if he is healthy and can contribute then its a plus. I do not really get the hate either. He has some pretty bad injuries but he has always been a team guy, hes not an ass or anything. Who cares what he makes.

I certainly do not think that cutting him will have any effect on fans returning or not, and if it would those are some pretty silly fans. If the team improves the fickle fans will return. If the team falters the 'fans' will stay away and lie to themselves and others that they are good fans but they are staying away because they dont like the owner or something.

Crav, I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to cut him if you have to pay him anyway. Get a replacement, but no reason to get rid of him if you still have to pay.

I would also disagree with "he failed" at anything. He's hurt.

I think Roberts is done and I think the Orioles should search for a long term replacement for 2b but I do not think they have to cut ties completely with Roberts. Dont expect much but if he is healthy and can contribute then its a plus. I do not really get the hate either. He has some pretty bad injuries but he has always been a team guy, hes not an ass or anything. Who cares what he makes.

I certainly do not think that cutting him will have any effect on fans returning or not, and if it would those are some pretty silly fans. If the team improves the fickle fans will return. If the team falters the 'fans' will stay away and lie to themselves and others that they are good fans but they are staying away because they dont like the owner or something.

The O's already have Roberts long-term replacement. Jonathan Schoop is the same age as Machado and is currently in Bowie. Schoop and Machado are good friends and have came up through the minors together at 2B-SS, good chemistry there. Schoop is a little more raw than Machado but Schoop is projected to have plus to plus-plus power. He has the upside as a Jeff Kent-type 2B. Schoop will probably play in the Arizona league this summer then be in Baltimore sometime in 2013.

I agree with you Spen, I classify myself in the Fickled Fan category..But it feels good, Prior to 94 I was a HUGE O's Fan, I had as much Orange & Black that I have purple now...Its exciting again for me...I mean hell the first thing I do now in the am is go to the scores and standings to see where the O's sit..

If I could just find a link to listen to the game via radio, If you know of an app let me know..

DC then Angelos was goofy giving Roberts a guaranteed contract..

My Son went to the game last night, caught a foul ball..AND got an additional Eddie Murray Statue which he is sending me, that will definately go on the shelf of my new memoribilia room..

Crav.... it's called google. Listen online: http://tunein.com/radio/WBAL-1090-s27326/ (there are many radio apps for iPads, etc that will let you listen to various stations via wifi - just look for 1090 baltimore)

As for Roberts... Angelos doesn't give contracts, the GM does. But regardless - ALL baseball contracts are guaranteed, unlike the NFL. And the contract was given before these more recent Roberts injuries, so what are we to do? Fear of injuries is what has stopped this team from giving ANYONE contracts for the last 15 years and we've seen the results of that. Don't pay, don't play in October.

I just really hate the hate against Roberts. He's spent two years trying to recover from a life-altering concussion syndrome and we just want to say, "worthless, stupid contract, cut it loose."

Call me foolish, but Roberts showed that in reality he can still play. I want him on this team if he's healthy in April. Should we count on that and not make a back-up plan? Of course not. But he can do so much when he plays that it would be silly to just waste the $10m a season.

But what's the point of eating $10m in salary and getting nothing out of it?

If he's hurt... he doesn't play anyway

If he's not hurt but not good... he's still a better utility man than Andino, or you cut him then (we still eat salary)...

If he's not hurt and is good... you let him play, he can be utility man if another option does better

There's simply no sense in cutting him.

And don't tell me there is no human side in sport. That's shit. You're telling me Cal would get cut? Ray right now? Bull shit. You're telling me that YOU would advocate those positions?

If he's hurt, it doesn't matter. If he's not hurt, he's better than any option we have. In either case, we need to make a legit other plan. I know this kind of logic gets complicated, but 'just cut him' is just stupid.