ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

John Simon DE

vmax

He'll play linebacker...just my guess...

Overview

Simon has a well-deserved reputation as a workout warrior, putting up big numbers and going through tough endurance skills in the weight room ever since high school. He’s also a two-time team captain at Ohio State, presenting just about everything an NFL team wants in a prospect in terms of strength and leadership.

He played regularly as a reserve defensive tackle in his true freshman season (16 tackles, three for loss, 1.5 sacks), then started all 13 contests in 2010 on his way to honorable mention All-Big Ten accolades (41 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, three sacks—one in the Buckeyes’ Sugar Bowl over Arkansas). And though Simon was a consistent pain for offensive linemen to handle during his productive junior campaign, his numbers were bolstered by a three-game stretch in the middle of the conference season; nine of his 16 tackles for loss and five of his seven sacks for the season came in consecutive weeks versus Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana. In 2012, as a senior, Simon racked up nine sacks, 14.5 tackles for loss, and one forced fumble. His play earned him a first-team All-Big Ten selection.

Analysis Strengths Strong, high-motor defender. Can break down to tackle ballcarriers in the backfield. Combines agility with excellent upper-body strength to be a secure and explosive tackler. Works down the line with a blocker on his shoulder without giving up ground. Will pressure the upfield shoulder of slower tackles when selling out as a rusher, possesses enough flexibility to capture quarterbacks stepping up in the pocket. Patient when containing, stays engaged until ballcarriers goes inside or outside, then rips off to chase. Uses his hands very well, often batting down the arms of linemen attempting to block him. Displays good pad level. Two-time captain leads his teammates vocally and by example. Weaknesses Shorter than many teams prefer in a defensive lineman, and his length is only adequate. Late to react to the snap, less than stellar first step. Slow in spin move attempts. Can struggle to get off blocks from better tackles and will lose sight of the ball at times. Might need to drop some weight to gain agility and quickness whether playing end or linebacker. Not very experienced getting deep drops in coverage or playing man-up for longer periods of time. NFL Comparison Rob Ninkovich Bottom Line

This two-time All-Big Ten pick and two-time Buckeyes captain lacks the height and length most NFL teams want in a defensive end, but teams with less stringent size requirements will covet his exceptional weight-room work ethic. He's late off the ball, and not an explosive athlete, but he understands pad level and hand usage. He's going to have to prove to teams that he can handle himself effectively enough in coverage.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/john-simon?id=2539280

I really like this pick. He's the kind of player who will force the Ravens to find a starting spot for him.

Remember...Dumerville is not too good against the run.

Didn't JJ take like five years to become a starter? A lot can change in five years. I think he will be a workout warrior and a ST ace before he becomes a great edge setter, i.e. another JJ. His former coach really thought highly of him for playing through pain. The more I hear about him the more he reminds me of Jarret. I think he is a typical Ravens player.

Didn't JJ take like five years to become a starter? A lot can change in five years. I think he will be a workout warrior and a ST ace before he becomes a great edge setter, i.e. another JJ. His former coach really thought highly of him for playing through pain. The more I hear about him the more he reminds me of Jarret. I think he is a typical Ravens player.

My point here is that with our current roster, we have no playing time for him as an 'edge-setter' for at least 2 years unless Suggs gets cut or someone has a severe injury. I'd like to cut Rolando and give this guy a shot at MLB. I'm assuming Jameel and Brown are going to start and both are 3-down players, why not have another project as a backup?

My point here is that with our current roster, we have no playing time for him as an 'edge-setter' for at least 2 years unless Suggs gets cut or someone has a severe injury. I'd like to cut Rolando and give this guy a shot at MLB. I'm assuming Jameel and Brown are going to start and both are 3-down players, why not have another project as a backup?

Im really shocked that rolando is still on this team

Im really shocked that rolando is still on this team

Rolando's not at the off season workouts and that speaks volumes to where his head is at.

New team...need to resurrect a career that could be over any time and get in the best shape of his life...chance to start and be on a very good team...just got in trouble again....Ravens have great programs and support for men who need help and guidance...

Another stupid decision on his part.