ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

He Deserves a Pat on the BackMc

oldno82

:bow:

“That’s my goal this year,” McKinnie said of the Pro Bowl. “I want to pick up at the level I played at the end of last season, and even a little better. I feel like I can, I feel like that’s possible. … Right now I’m more focused so I can have a good year and be the best left tackle in the league.”

He's totally bought in. What a change.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/13/bryant-mckinnie-says-hes-in-his-best-shape-in-years/

Ravens offensive tackle Bryant McKinniehasn’t exactly been known for showing up to training camp in great shape. He’s generally been known for eating too much and working out too little.

But McKinnie says things are different now.

McKinnie, who was held out of the start of training camp last year because he wasn’t in good enough shape to practice, has been more involved in offseason work this year and told the team’s website that he’s in his best shape in years. (Not that that’s saying much.)

“I feel like I’m in pretty good shape and I’m doing a lot better,” McKinnie said. “I’m far ahead than I have been the past two years.”

McKinnie said he’s lighter now than he was last year and plans to lose a little more weight before training camp starts. With better conditioning, he believes he’s poised to have a Pro Bowl season.

“I still need to drop a little lower,” he said. “But it’s definitely better than it has the past two years. I’ll continue working on cardio and stretching, but I’m just focused on getting better.”

For McKinnie, getting slimmer is a good step toward getting better.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/17/harbaugh-hails-mckinnies-conditioning/

Harbaugh hails McKinnie’s conditioning

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he’s encouraged by the shape Bryant McKinnie is in these days.

Since that shape’s not as much “round” as it was in past years, that’s reasonable.

McKinnie said last week he was in the best shape he’s been in in years, and Harbaugh has noticed.

“Bryant did a really good job,” Harbaugh said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “He moved really well in this camp, as well as he moved at the end of the year last year when he started practicing so well and playing so well.

“He looks healthy, and he will continue to work on his conditioning. He seems to be very committed. Love the way he’s playing and his effort.”

That’s quite a departure from last spring, which McKinnie spent in Harbaugh’s doghouse for not being fit enough.

When the Ravens brought McKinnie back after a strong postseason, they included workout bonuses and reporting bonuses to keep him motivated, and it’s apparently working.

“Physically, I feel like I’m 26, so that’s a good thing,” McKinnie said. “I feel really good this year. I’m moving around pretty well, so I’m pretty happy with that. . . . This time last year, I didn’t even participate, so yeah, I definitely feel a lot better in minicamp.

“Right now, I’m more focused so I can have a good year and be the best left tackle in the league. That’s my goal.

“When people turn on film, they’ll just see that I’m dominating, and I just feel that I’m going to do better than everybody else this year.”

If they see less of him, it will be an important first step.