ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Officiating

OutsideRzAcE

Wow was that horrible last night.

You had the no call on the Flacco underthrow where Gay pretty much bowled over Jacoby without looking for the ball.

The Steelers Oline were holding (especially inside) like mad..I don't think the Officials called one holding call all game on the olines.

The Tomlin no call was mind boggling. The NFL really needs to get their officals on the same page. Last week a far less egregious infraction gets called, this week intentional cheating gets overlooked. No excuse for them on that play.

One one Steelers drive the officials seemed to decide that they were going to go from not calling anything in the secondary to making every touch beyond 5 yards a holding penalty. Corey Graham gets nailed..then on the very next drive Ike Taylor (who had been holding all night) mugs the shit outta torrey on 3rd down and the refs go back to "letting them play"

I am so glad the Ravens pulled it out because I would have been sick if the Steelers came back to win after all the inconsistent officiating

OK, now that you mention it I didnt see contact. I just saw the defender not looking for the ball at all. Maybe thats not a penalty.

Yeah Spen, just rewatched it and Brown doesn't make contact until after the ball hits the receiver in the hands. Good no call.

Being the late Thanksgiving game, wonder if we got the crapy refs?

The first last Stealer's TD you could clearly see the knee, legs, hip, the guy was clearly down with the ball @ the 1.

They couldn't see that with their eyes?

And then well Bell got hurt, "You can ring my belllll, right my bell" they had all that time to look at that play but they wait that long.

They were screwed up from the started.

And I also lost any football respect for tomlin that I had

OTR...Anybody!....on Joe's first pass/play of the game did Gay touch/push Jacoby as the ball came down?

From my vantage point it sure did look like PI.

Yes that's the play I was talking about in the first sentence of the original post. That was an obvious PI and they swallowed their whistle. It made the one series where they called defensive holding 3 times on the Ravens even more maddening. Either you are letting them play or you're not. There was a call against Webb that was definitely legit but the other two holding calls were for things they were letting guys get away with all night. Very inconsistent officiating.

I'll give the refs a break on the Tomlin bit (not Tomlin himself of course) because it is such a rare call. It was only called last week when the official actually had contact, right?

That poor official in that pic is working his bytt off just to stay close to JJ. I am sure he hardly saw Tomlin until he was out of the way and didn't even notice JJ change routes as unusual in the moment.

But I agree 100% on the defensive PI and holding calls. I also thought there were a ton of offensive holding calls but at least they were consistently not called.

I'll give the refs a break on the Tomlin bit (not Tomlin himself of course) because it is such a rare call. It was only called last week when the official actually had contact, right?

That poor official in that pic is working his bytt off just to stay close to JJ. I am sure he hardly saw Tomlin until he was out of the way and didn't even notice JJ change routes as unusual in the moment.

But I agree 100% on the defensive PI and holding calls. I also thought there were a ton of offensive holding calls but at least they were consistently not called.

No way does Tomlin get a free pass, just his body language alone on that play warrants a flag..

No worries he gets a fine and/or suspension, the NFL already has it under revue.

I don't see how you can give the ref a pass. The NFL officials are supposed to be the best of the professionals. The point of trying to keep up with Jacoby is to see if there are any infractions on the play. Well he missed a pretty easy one about a foot away from him, and it's not like it was bang bang. I blame not only that official but the other ones for not conferencing and getting the call right. Nobody had the stones to make that call and that does not look good for a multibillion dollar league like the NFL. They are so lucky the Ravens won that game.

I'm just cutting him some slack. I didn't notice it during the play - did you? I noticed Jacoby get up and point at the sideline, but I wasn't sure if it was a complaint or a brag. No one really seemed to have any clue on it until they starting replaying it. Even the TV crews missed it until the Ravens replayed it.

And as much as these guys are "the best," we also know that they are not really full time and most have other jobs during the week.

Of course he was trying to keep up to see possible infractions - but his eyes are on the field where you expect the infraction to be.

Ever seen the tests they have done on eye witnesses? You're told to watch a video and complete a task - keep your eye on the elevator, how many people get on and off? But the test isn't whether you can watch the elevator, it's that in trying to count you miss everything else happening. Could you describe any of the people on the elevator that you were counting? Not a chance. Our brains can't do it.

So all I'm saying is the guy is watching the play and running full speed - I forgive him for not being so aware as to notice the actions of every person, especially those who are not really a part of the play.

I'm just cutting him some slack. I didn't notice it during the play - did you? I noticed Jacoby get up and point at the sideline, but I wasn't sure if it was a complaint or a brag. No one really seemed to have any clue on it until they starting replaying it. Even the TV crews missed it until the Ravens replayed it.

And as much as these guys are "the best," we also know that they are not really full time and most have other jobs during the week.

Of course he was trying to keep up to see possible infractions - but his eyes are on the field where you expect the infraction to be.

Ever seen the tests they have done on eye witnesses? You're told to watch a video and complete a task - keep your eye on the elevator, how many people get on and off? But the test isn't whether you can watch the elevator, it's that in trying to count you miss everything else happening. Could you describe any of the people on the elevator that you were counting? Not a chance. Our brains can't do it.

So all I'm saying is the guy is watching the play and running full speed - I forgive him for not being so aware as to notice the actions of every person, especially those who are not really a part of the play.

The reason that I don't think your argument is valid is because that white-marked territory is for the officials only, which means that if an official is looking onto the field while running, he should see NO ONE but players in front of him. Under no circumstance should he have seen a coach or anyone not in a jersey between him and the field.

More importantly, I am sure that the official knew Tomlin was there simply because the official himself was forced off the white official's path and onto the green, where Tomlin was supposed to have been. I am sure that the official knew where he was.

Even if neither of those points registered in the official's head during the course of the play, it would have taken no more than a second or two after the play was over for him to realize what had happened. The only valid explanation is that he and/or the head referee was too afraid to throw the flag.

Force, the flaw in your logic is that we know that white line is hardly ever clear - especially of head coaches. If officials were to throw that flag every time they saw someone or had to adjust a route, we'd never see a game finish. It wasn't "being in the official's way" that is causing a stir - it was the interference with the play. But given the frequency of coaches being in the way (and players), why would you logically conclude it would create interference with the play? We wouldn't because it never does.

Again, I'll leave it at this - I will gladly admit I'm wrong to the first person who saw Tomlin's interference during the play - meaning BEFORE Jacoby even got up and pointed at him and certainly before we were shown it on replay in stadium or at home. I remember thinking "something seems fishy" because of Jacoby's pointing at the sideline, but couldn't even tell what might have happened... then I let it go until they came back from commercial several series later (it wasn't even the immediate timeout following the kick)

Again, I'll leave it at this - I will gladly admit I'm wrong to the first person who saw Tomlin's interference during the play - meaning BEFORE Jacoby even got up and pointed at him and certainly before we were shown it on replay in stadium or at home. I remember thinking "something seems fishy" because of Jacoby's pointing at the sideline, but couldn't even tell what might have happened... then I let it go until they came back from commercial several series later (it wasn't even the immediate timeout following the kick)

I saw the interference live (honestly). I'm sure i'm not the only one..it seemed pretty obvious to me during the play. I was shocked that the both officials and Collisworth missed it. Collinsworth picks up all kinds of crap live.

Edited by OutsideRzAcE

I saw the interference live (honestly). I'm sure i'm not the only one..it seemed pretty obvious to me during the play. I was shocked that the officials nor Collisworth missed it. Collinsworth picks up all kinds of crap live.

I seen it live, right there from the upper end zone. Some of us screaming to get out of the way.

That ref should be fired, not allowed back at all.

There's no doubt in my mind that it was intentional. His season was on the way down the toilet.

He knew Jacoby was coming and then at the right time, he purposefully moved/quick stepped his foot onto the field and yanked it back...all in one move.... to make it look like he was trying to get it out of the way.

There's no doubt in my mind that it was intentional. His season was on the way down the toilet.

He knew Jacoby was coming and then at the right time, he purposefully moved/quick stepped his foot onto the field and yanked it back...all in one move.... to make it look like he was trying to get it out of the way.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Morning" that Tomlin and theSteelers each face a fine, as well as the possible loss of a draft pick for the sideline incident, according to league sources.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290187/article/mike-tomlin-incident-might-cost-steelers-a-draft-pick

I still want to know what happens to the ref

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Morning" that Tomlin and theSteelers each face a fine, as well as the possible loss of a draft pick for the sideline incident, according to league sources.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000290187/article/mike-tomlin-incident-might-cost-steelers-a-draft-pick

I still want to know what happens to the ref

Ref gets a bonus, Tomlin gets the boner, well deserved at that