ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Team Leadership

varaven45

As fans, we were been blessed (and maybe spoiled) by the tremendous, if not unprecedented, team leadership of Ray Lewis. Ray's absence in leadership was apparent this past season and his "willing the team to victory" is something we may never again witness in this organization. Its a foregone conclusion that Ray will never be replaced.

So, who is the team's next leader ?

Look around the NFL. Some of your more successful teams have QB leaders such as Brady in NE, Rodgers in GB, Manning in Denver. Other successful teams seem to be led more by their coaches - Tomlin in Pittsburgh, Carroll in Seattle, Payton in NO. Its possible and perhaps more likely, that its a combination of coach and player (Bellicheck and Brady).

Either way, this team is obviously lacking in leadership and, what's more, I don't see it with the coach and/or players. At least, not in their current persona.

Lets look at our top player and arguably our team leader: Joe Flacco. He's not the demonstrative leader most fans are seeking or desire. But he leads by example. If he is a leader, the organization and team need to build completely around Joe and he, in turn, needs to accept the role and start wiling his team to victory (such as Ray). Its a two way street - the organization needs to fully support and surround Joe with legitimate talent (a strong OL, running and passing game) and Joe needs to fully embrace the role of leader. If it is truly Joe's team, he has to change and more effectively demonstrate by example, performance, and attitude.

What about our coach ? Maybe John Harbaugh is the leader. if he is or will become, Harbs is going to have to make some changes. He can start by surrounding himself with the best coaches and players. His proclivity for hiring friends, family or old mentors has resulted in a dysfunctional team (see offense). The FO and Harbaugh need to work in unison to create a consistent, long term winning formula. With the exception of 2013, he has done that well. But last SB ship has sailed and he now needs to re-invent himself and the team's identity and structure. Is he the guy who can lead this team ?

In my opinion, leadership may be the single most important factor that will determine this team's long term success. Without it, we are a ship without a rudder and going nowhere.

I am confident the trio of Biscotti, Oz and Harbaugh have a plan but wonder about who will truly lead this team. Any thoughts or ideas ?

Crav,

Not yet but someone - coach or player- needs to step up to the plate. The sooner, the better. In 2014 or 2015, or later. Until then, the team will, as Jim Morrison sang, wallow in the mire .

Here's (and cheers) to our teams future leader and a return to relevance (and postseason) in the coming years. 👍

The Ravens have leaders but they can only lead this team to .500 ball.

What they really need is leaders who demand winning.

You have to make plays to be a leader.

You have to be consistent with an attitude and work ethic that rubs off on those around you.

You have to believe in and be passionate about what you do.

You have to be able to communicate.

I don't see anybody like that on this years roster.

I think it is a little unfair to judge the team's leadership on one 8-8 season. The fact the team stayed together and fought the whole year says a lot to me. Remember last year all the rumors of locker-room unrest? Same thing with Harbaugh's 9-7 season in 2009. Billick would have a bad season every other year and we'd hear rumors of a locker-room revolt. Watch any of Harbaugh's post game speeches, he has the locker-room's respect. Flacco is not a rah-rah guy, but he has the respect of the team.

Leadership is easy: if a team wins everything is rosy. Leadership shows its true head when all is not well. Not even Ray Lewis would have gotten this team into the playoffs. We've all been spoiled by Ray Lewis who was a once-in-a-lifetime leader in any sport.

I think Steve is still to new to running a FB team to understand when he is being played so he is not the leader. Ozzie is the biggest leader. He needs to get Steve to understand BS when it is being used on him.

I couldn't disagree with you more here. Listen to Bisciotti's interview with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller during training camp. After that, I dare you to find more than five owners in the league that "get it" more than Bisciotti. Believe me the guy knows exactly what he is doing.

We are a ship without a rudder, I thought for sure Suggs would step up he didn't, then I thought joe would slide into the spot, he didn't ,

There's no player spokesman for our team at all

Suggs is a child. There was no way he was going to be that guy.

I couldn't disagree with you more here. Listen to Bisciotti's interview with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller during training camp. After that, I dare you to find more than five owners in the league that "get it" more than Bisciotti. Believe me the guy knows exactly what he is doing.

Things can change very quickly.

Suggs is a child. There was no way he was going to be that guy.

Things can change very quickly.

Listen to the interview. He details how he has spared no expenses with his scouting department. The guy has set up a first class organization. He knows exactly what he's doing.