ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Webb Out, C-Mac in?

cravnravn

The latest on Webb's injury from Aaron Wilson on Twitter:

Harbaugh said Lardarius Webb is a maybe for training camp. Worst-case scenario is opening season on PUP list next season.

Lardarius declined to comment when I asked him about it. Too soon to tell until the surgery is done.

Here is what Wilson said on Cmac:

The evaluation of C-Mac went like this: looked old and slow on film. They mostly need a guy for special teams, Ivy fits bill

John Harbaugh just said on radio show that team had concerns about Chris McAlister's health

Also, Harbaugh said that Corey Ivy is best suited to play in the slot as a nickel cornerback and that McAlister is strictly outside corner

Harbaugh on Ivy: "I guarantee Corey Ivy will give it everything he’s got. I’m confident he’ll play well in this next game.”

Harbaugh confirmed that Chris Carr will start against Pittsburgh, and said Corey Ivy will be the backup slot. Frank Walker is the nickel

Harbaugh: "We respect Chris McAlister. Chris McAlister can’t play in the slot."

More Harbaugh: “We need a backup slot. We need someone who’s healthy."

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider

Update on Webb:

DECEMBER 23, 2009

Webb might not return until training camp

Rookie cornerback Lardarius Webb might not return to the field until training camp and could perhaps miss the first six weeks of next season, coach John Harbaugh said.

Webb was placed on injured reserve Tuesday after he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

According to Harbaugh, the best-case scenario is Webb coming back for one of the final offseason camps in the spring. The worst-case scenario is Webb being placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list at the start of the 2010 season, which means he would miss at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

"There is a chance because he's young and he's a little bit lighter -- you don't carry as much weight around -- he could be back practicing in training camp," Harbaugh said

While it is encouraging to hear Harbaugh say Webb could be ready for training camp, realistically I would expect Webb to start the season on the PUP list. Houston Texans cornerback Dunta Robinson in 2007 tore his left ACL in Week 10 against the Raiders (November 7) and started 2008 on the PUP. The encouraging thing is that Robinson hit the ground running in Week 6 and was the same player as he was before the injury. Robinson plays a similar game to Webb, both guys are relatively undersized at 5'10" 184 and 175 pounds respectively, but play a lot bigger than their size. Robinson played 11 games in 2008, and has played in every game this season as one of the better CBs in the league. It also must be considered that Robinson tore his hamstring along with his ACL, so maybe that would entail a longer rehibilitation period. Nevertheless, I have no doubt in my mind Webb will continue his development into a very good corner in this league. Whether we have him Week 1 or Week 6 in 2010, we will be able to depend on Webb next season as a starting cornerback/nickelback.

Nice homework there cleetz....feeling better already.

This secondary can be tight next year. Foxworth, Washington and Webb....maybe a FA or draft pick....the Ravens will be fine.

Edited by vmax