ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It's coming

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/08/rooney-hints-that-steelers-wont-try-to-extend-roethlisberger/

Rooney hints that Steelers won’t try to extend Roethlisberger

With cap numbers of $18.895 and $18.395 million, respectively, over the final two years of his current contract, most assume that the Steelers’ annual effort to create cap room via renegotiating quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s deal will entail a contract extension.

Owner Art Rooney II told a trio of reporters on Wednesday that there won’t necessarily be an extension.

Via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rooney said that Roethlisberger knows “our intention is we want him here beyond this contact.” But Rooney added that the team possibly won’t extend the current contract in 2014 or 2015.

The Steelers have at times extended the contracts of starting quarterbacks with two years remaining. But Rooney said that’s “not set in stone . . . it’s not something that’s automatic.”

The shrewd message from Rooney is that the Steelers will find a way to carry Roethlisberger’s cap number if necessary, which means that he’d make only $12.1 million in base salary for 2014. And that undercuts Roethlisberger’s primary leverage for a contract that would pay him, if he had his way, at or close to market value of $18 million to $20 million per year.

If the Steelers keep Roethlisberger at $12.1 million in 2014 and $11.6 million in 2015, he’d be two years older — with two more years of wear and tear — when finally eligible to test the market. The downside would be that, if the Steelers wanted to use the franchise tag in 2016, he’d be entitled to a 20-percent raise of his $18.395 million cap number, which equates to $22.074 million.

Regardless, the message (for now) from the Steelers is that they don’t need to extend the deal (even if their cap situation otherwise says they do). Which would keep Roethlisberger’s pay for the coming year at only (only?) $12.1 million.

It’s also possible that the Steelers would ask him to do one more so-called “simple” restructuring, which would result in the conversion of a portion of his $12.1 million salary to an offseason signing bonus. Because only one year remains on the current deal, half the amount would count against this year’s salary cap, and the other half would hit the cap next year.

Of course, Roethlisberger could choose to decline to take a lump sum in the offseason, arguing instead that it’s time for an extension. If that would happen, things could quickly get interesting.

No he said they MAY not extend him this year but if you look at the front page of ESPN he also said Ben will retire a Steeler. He isn't going to say one way or another what is going on. The steelers front office never has done that. He gave his typical bland Ben will be extended this off season I promise.

Yeah keep on restructuring. It works wonders with the cap.

If he restructures and gets a new deal next year it wipes out the carry over. Crazy part is if they just pay him what's due this year he will have made 91 million dollars on this deal. No other player has made over 70 million on one contract. I honestly think he is going to give the steelers a team friendly deal. Now it will still be big but it will be at a discount of what he could make. He has already said the steelers can't carry the 18 million he is due this year cap wise.

If he restructures and gets a new deal next year it wipes out the carry over. Crazy part is if they just pay him what's due this year he will have made 91 million dollars on this deal. No other player has made over 70 million on one contract. I honestly think he is going to give the steelers a team friendly deal. Now it will still be big but it will be at a discount of what he could make. He has already said the steelers can't carry the 18 million he is due this year cap wise.

It doesn't wipe out any carry over. If you restructure you are converting salary into a signing bonus. That signing bonus is due on the cap at some point. It doesn't ever disappear even with a new deal. You still have to account for it on the cap.

I hope you do extend him and then keep restructuring every year after that because at some point in the next couple of years he is going to go Steve McNair on you and then your cap fucked and you don't have a franchise QB.

What numbers do you speak of, fantasy numbers? Caus if that's the case why are drafting after yinz? W's & l's are the only numbers I care about, 6 years in the league and joe has never had a losing season. Can Ben say that?

no but Ben can say he had two rings in his first 6 years how about Joe. Also we tied and who was the last team eliminated from the playoffs?

As much as I dislike Ben as a person and QB of divisional foe team, they would be crazy to cut Ben loose, especially if his replacement isn't already in house.

He isn't going anywhere and I would be shocked if he doesn't go get the extension this off season. He wants to be there and they want him there so it will get done. I'm hoping he keeps to his word when he said he knows cap wise the steelers can't handle a giant number and he wants to do what's best for his team. I didn't like him as a person there for a long time but I know some people very close to the organization who said he as completely turned his life around. He really did deserve the Walter Peyton award for the steelers this year. I have always loved his k-9 charity.