ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Offensive coaching "dream team"

Money

Kubiak - OC

Shanahan - QB coach

Dennison - RB coach

Unbelievable. How can anyone doubt this organization??! We are very lucky as fans!!!

Former Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak has emerged as the favorite for the Baltimore Ravens' vacant offensive coordinator job, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Kubiak, who was fired by the Texans in December, wants to bring former Houston offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and former Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan with him to Baltimore, sources told Schefter.

The Ravens are attempting to assemble their offensive coaching "dream team" with the recruitment of Kubiak, Dennison and Shanahan, according to sources.

Kubiak and Dennison both met with Ravens officials Sunday in Baltimore, sources said.

The Ravens are looking to replace former offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell, who was hired as the Detroit Lions' head coach earlier this month.

Baltimore struggled offensively this season, ranking 29th in the NFL in total offense and 25th in scoring. The Ravens averaged a franchise-worst 3.1 yards per carry, and quarterback Joe Flacco threw a career-high 22 interceptions in 2013, one year removed from winning the Super Bowl.

Kubiak was fired on Dec. 6 amid the worst losing streak in Texans franchise history. Houston concluded the season with 14 consecutive losses, including three under interim coach Wade Phillips.

The 52-year-old Kubiak went 61-64 in seven-plus seasons with the Texans, coaching Houston to playoff appearances in 2011 and 2012. He previously served as a longtime offensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos, working under Mike Shanahan from 1995 to 2005.

Kyle Shanahan, who was fired with his father by the Redskins on Dec. 30, already had been established as a candidate for Baltimore's offensive coordinator.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh named three other candidates -- Ravens wide receivers coach Jim Hostler, former Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and Pittsburgh Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson -- last week. Baltimore brought back Shanahan and Wilson for second interviews, but Wilson was eliminated from the running Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10358632/gary-kubiak-former-houston-texans-coach-favorite-baltimore-ravens-offensive-coordinator

• Upvote 1

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/kubiak-hiring-may-be-a-signal-bisciottis-more-involved/

Kubiak hiring may be a signal Bisciotti’s more involved

It appears that Gary Kubiak is not just the “favorite” for the Ravens offensive coordinator job, but also a harbinger of change for the team.

According to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun, Kubiak is lining up his offensive staff before the takes the job, which means any existing offensive coaches could be in trouble.

That would explain talking to the Rick Dennisons and Kyle Shanahans of the world, who have background with Kubiak.

But the more intriguing note from Preston is that the move was driven by owner Steve Bisciotti and General Manager Ozzie Newsome, and that head coach John Harbaugh was a “non-factor” in the move.

Bisciotti’s the owner, so he gets to do what he wants. And he’s been willing to insert himself into team business at a personal level before.

But that would signal something well less than a mandate for head coach John Harbaugh, who you would think was rather secure since he won a Super Bowl a year ago.

Bisciotti previously declared to Preston he was patient, “but I don’t have to be patient enough to let people repeat failure.”

“I’ll be more apt to get my way next year if their solutions don’t change the problems. That’s fair, that’s where I am as owner,” he said. “They know they’ve failed, they know they need to change, and to make improvements. If it’s not the way I think it should be and then it fails again, then obviously it comes down to owner-head coach relationship.”

That seems harsh for a team which missed the playoffs for the first time in six years. But it also points to some degree of tension between the guy who made sure the $100 million quarterback was on board, and the guy who’s responsible for coaching him.

• Upvote 1

Kubs prefers zone blocking, so it is likely the line coach stays. Odd man out is likely to e Hostler. The 4th quarterback coach in six years, 3rd offensive coordinator in six years, yeah, let's put the final verdict on Joe next season........... :sing: According to ESPN, Kubs was waiting for the Ravens call, came in yesterday, signed today.

This tells me they had him penciled in all along and were just feeling out other coaches incase they offered a better choice than Kubs. So I doubt either Preston or pinkie were correct in their opinions............ :gorave:

Wow this is VERY exciting. Looks like the offense will be built from the ground up. Great to have a fresh start.

For those trashing on Juan Castillo: Castillo is very highly respected as an offensive line coach. Even McKinney had good things to say about him after being traded, despite the success not being there. Castillo did excellent work in Philadelphia for years as their line coach. Last year there was simply miscommunication between Castillo and Caldwell/Hostler. Kubiak and Dennison are proven in the zone scheme, which should work well with what Castillo knows best.

The best part is we are not done yet with this staff. Kubiak is going to have heavy influence on new coaches coming in. In the past our offensive staff has been a poor combination of coaches of different styles. This year we will have coaches who are of the same philosophy and have proven success working together.

This is the best positioned for success the Ravens have ever been on offense. We have a right to be excited.

Kubs prefers zone blocking, so it is likely the line coach stays. Odd man out is likely to e Hostler. The 4th quarterback coach in six years, 3rd offensive coordinator in six years, yeah, let's put the final verdict on Joe next season........... :sing: According to ESPN, Kubs was waiting for the Ravens call, came in yesterday, signed today.

Just saying...I don't want to be a naysayer, but I have more confidence in this Offensive staff than any in the past. I'm not saying Joe would be a bust if he fails, but if he doesn't improve, which I doubt will be the case...eyebrows will be raised and Geronirasta will be fed plenty of ammo...