ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Win and They're In

vmax

The record will show 9-7 if they win, but that's not backing into the playoffs because they still control their destiny.

Now... the other AFC teams have been generous in helping bring about this senario, but as Ravens fans, we won't be sitting Sunday hoping certain teams lose so the Ravens can make it in.

It comes down to week 17 and the Ravens have a great chance to make the playoffs. We've had meaningfull football in December and that's what I want bottom line.

Is there plenty to be concerned about?

Yes.

If some of the the Ravens players play undisciplined and sloppy like last week then they won't win.

51313430.jpg

The Raiders are dangerous and unpredictable. They defeated the Bengals, Eagles, Steelers and the Broncos this season.

They will play hard at home for their fans and it is a 'West Coast' trip.

Harbaugh states his team will be ready..."I would be disappointed, I would be surprised if our team wasnt ready to play, Harbaugh said. Its just going to be a matter of how well we address the things weve got to get better at going into next week. Our guys know theyre going to play a team thats very dangerous, a football team that has proven they can beat anybody in this league, and were going to their place.

This is their last game of the season, and theyre going to put their best effort out there, but weve got more at stake. Weve got an opportunity to make the playoffs. Weve got an opportunity to get in the tournament. To me, thats motivation enough. Im sure our guys will be ready.

51302852.jpg

The Ravens are two different teams in one. They manhandled the Steelers and should have beat them by 14-20 points. Yet the "Shoot Ourselves In the Foot" Ravens were also on the field that day.

So what team will emerge on top in the upcomming weeks?

Harbaugh states, "This year, I think were creating the vision among our team of what kind of team we want to become. Everybody in this room right now has a clear picture of what kind of team that we are going to become and are in the process of becoming. That makes everybody a little more efficient in getting there. Lets get there now. So, Im excited about our chances. We take care of business at Oakland, get ourselves in the playoffs, and we can win the National Championship. Thats our goal, and were capable of doing it. But its up to us to get it done.

I think they are capable too. Their overall team roster is just as strong as any of the playoff teams.

I think they have a decent shot to make some noise in the playoffs...even do serious damage if the "Shoot Ourselves In the Foot" Ravens are put to sleep.

The Ravens beat the Chargers who are hot but their D has weaknesses. They lost 17-15 to the Colts who have their weaknesses. Lost to the Pats by a TD. The Bengals are not finishing strong and on a roll. The Ravens lost a close game to them the last time they played so don't bet on a 3rd loss to them in one season.

Funny thing is that in all those games the "Shoot Ourselves In the Foot" Ravens were there.

It's not a big gap this 2009 Ravens team has to cross to be a serious Super Bowl contender.

Will they cross it?

Injuries aside, this team is still tight, effective and physical.

That's one of the great things about playing meaningfull games in December...seeing if they can take that next step in the playoffs.

Edited by vmax

The Raiders were pretty dangerous when Bruce Gradkowski was starting because he is one of those shifty QBs, but he is injured and I am not one bit worried about Charlie Frye. He has poor pocket presence and is not very accurate at all. If we shut down the Raiders running game they are toast. I am calling it... *** I'm stupid for thinking this game is easy ***!!!!

Peter Schmuck is on board with this...

In an alternate universe where a parallel Terrell Suggs, Oniel Cousins and Kelley Washington had anything resembling a clue, the Ravens would have won the game by at least 17 points and been headed for the playoffs on an emotional roll. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Now, you're probably shaking your head right now and wondering why I'm so bent on self-justification, but this isn't about that at all. I've made plenty of bad calls over the years, and I've generally manned up and conceded my flawed judgment.

In this case, however, the only thing I failed to predict correctly was the level of boneheadedness that the Ravens were able to achieve in the course of Sunday's 23-20 loss at Heinz Field. And that's why I'm totally on board with John Harbaugh's comment Monday that they are "capable" of making a Super Bowl run.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.schmuck30dec30002022,0,2436400.column

In this case, however, the only thing I failed to predict correctly was the level of boneheadedness that the Ravens were able to achieve in the course of Sunday's 23-20 loss at Heinz Field. And that's why I'm totally on board with John Harbaugh's comment Monday that they are "capable" of making a Super Bowl run.

I am not disagreeing, and it is important. However the best news is that we have an offense who is improving, starting with Joe Cool.. how many playoffs win will he has four years from now? Peyton had none after his first six season. Oh yeah and Joe Was not even expecting to have any at this point.

Ray Rice is probably the greatest playmaker we have had on this offense.

FB and our OL has some key personel who should dominate for most of the next decade.

Our recieving group needs to get an experienced replacement for Mason and we probably also need to use a high draftpick.

And our defense, seems like we are still doing the job. our DL have the leader in Ngata, resigning Edwards would probably not be a bad idear and we do have some interesting depth in young players like McKinney, Talavou and Divins.

Our LBs, obviously we have to let Ray go at some point, however we will still have leaders like JJ and Suggs and developing players like Ellerbe, McClain, Kruger, Barnes, Burgess, Gooden and Philips. It is evident that we have plenty of interesting talent at LB, we are still competetive after the loss of AD and now Scott.

Our secondary.. Eds last season?? We do need to get some more valid strengths at 1.CB, besides that, we are obviously in great condition, Nakamura, Zibby, Landry, Fox, Carr and Webb and possible Gerard should just improve with more time and experience.

Our team does have a nice, solid core to build on. And even our secondary is coming around a bit, when everyone is healthy. Fox has really stepped up his game recently (even as noted by James Walker at ESPN), and Webb should be good if he can bounce back from his ACL. A couple more pieces and we could be primed to dominate for a while.

The D has really tightened up...quietly... during the second half of the season. Makes sense...injuries...new players...new DC...it took some time to gel.

Their problem is getting off the field on 3rd down. Also they are 30th in the league with 32 penalties that gave their opponents 1st downs. Another reason they can't get off the field.

The D has really tightened up...quietly... during the second half of the season. Makes sense...injuries...new players...new DC...it took some time to gel.

Ravens D is ranked 3rd overall, We havent missed a beat with the loss of Ryan, Scott

6th against the pass

6th against the rush

5th in turnovers +9 in ratio

2nd in Scoring D

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-SCORING/2009/regular

Ravens D is ranked 3rd overall, We havent missed a beat with the loss of Ryan, Scott

6th against the pass

6th against the rush

2nd in Scoring D

Those numbers should only look better after next week's game. If we upgrade the pass rush and add depth to the secondary, we will be very scary next season. Anyways, hats off to Mattison. It took him awhile to adjust to his personel, but the gameplans the past month or so have been very solid. It looks like Harbaugh made the right choice. Lets get to the playoffs now!

By the way, this week's game against Oakland is no different then last year's season finale against Jacksonville. We needed a win against a struggling, but potentially dangerous, opponent to get into the playoffs. Harbaugh had the guys motivated and we dominated. I expect the same thing this year, we know what we need to do, and we will dominate the inferior competition like we have the whole season.

6th against the pass

6th against the rush

2nd in Scoring D

Crav, all true and good but nothing like the Bears and Lions to help pad the old D stats, huh ?

Also, Ben pretty much ran up and down the field against our sieve like pass D. That weakness needs to become the focus of our offseason efforts- either through FA or draft. Still got to have that PASS RUSHER and another stout CB plus a future replacement for Ed Reed.

But give our D its due- in spite of the makeshift secondary, it has managed to hang in there.

Va we held the Steelers to 38 yards rushing and 250 passing...Playing the Bears, yes the same Bears that took down Minny Mounday Night??

Crav,

No problem with the Run D - it was stout. Its the pass D - its beat up and cant cover my Grandma.

The Bears rolled over for us - dont know what happened vs Minny. They are a division rival.

Crav,

No problem with the Run D - it was stout. Its the pass D - its beat up and cant cover my Grandma.

The Bears rolled over for us - dont know what happened vs Minny. They are a division rival.

Most teams if any besides us have played six games against divisions winners.. (Steelers had four games, Bengals two), 10 out of 15 games against teams with winning records. Including offensive powerhouses like Bolts, Clots, Pats, Steelers, Vikes and Packers.

Our record is what it is, no reason to make it better or worse than that.