ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

C'MON OZZIE ..... O-LINE O-LINE O-LINE O-LINE !

rastaman831226

Distressed to read the Ravens are trying to sign DT Letroy Guion. Letroy Guion...... why? Shouldn't we be focused on a C and a OG or OT? According to 105.7, our true cap space is currently about 10 mill. and that ain't enough to get anything but league leftovers so why are we talking about a new DT?

Calm down Rasta. These dudes have a plan that they can't share with us and they know their evaluations of what's on the roster. Last week, most of us were tied up about Monroe and look how it turned out. Trust the process. We all get concerned but remember who we are talking about and trust the process.

I'm panicky. Last season, we waited and waited and waited for a vet OL to drop to us then wound up with an A C Q Shipley, the vet dud who couldn't beat out another dud C Gradkowski yet had to play LG because we had no depth on the O-Line. That was not a good thing. We need bodies with talent up front. On another note, just looked at the Ravens ESPN 2013 roster and a 6' 3" 325 pound C Reggie Stephens is listed. Never heard of this guy but judging from his size, he looks like something along the line of the big interior lineman Ozzie stated he's looking for. Anybody got the word on this guy?

I'm panicky. Last season, we waited and waited and waited for a vet OL to drop to us then wound up with an A C Q Shipley, the vet dud who couldn't beat out another dud C Gradkowski yet had to play LG because we had no depth on the O-Line. That was not a good thing. We need bodies with talent up front. On another note, just looked at the Ravens ESPN 2013 roster and a 6' 3" 325 pound C Reggie Stephens is listed. Never heard of this guy but judging from his size, he looks like something along the line of the big interior lineman Ozzie stated he's looking for. Anybody got the word on this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Stephens_%28offensive_lineman%29

Looks like TC fodder, been dumped by Bungals, Bills and Bears twice......But I don't know if you can be much worse than Gino.... :nono:

220px-Reggie_Stephens_2012_Bengals_train

Not worried one bit, look at it this way, the longer Mack is unsigned the cheaper he becomes, and 10 mil is a lot of money considering we need 1 more free agent and our draft picks.

I think they put the transition tag on him which gives them the right to match any deal offered, so it's gonna have to be a good offer to get him...

But I read somewhere that Ozzie has him on his radar, so hopefully he can figure out a way to get him....Birk may have confidence in Gino but no one else does, and he ain't writing the check... :excl:

• 1 month later...

Looks like my worries are justified. The 2014 draft looks more like a " C " to " -C " to me. No real added beef to the O line and questionable filler to the rest of the roster. Another DE? C'mon, didn't we just draft Kapon Lewis-Moore last year? The 158 BPA run blocking tight end drafted at 99 when there were some serious talent at RB and CB remaining on the board? Not a very Ozzie draft.

Looks like my worries are justified. The 2014 draft looks more like a " C " to " -C " to me. No real added beef to the O line and questionable filler to the rest of the roster. Another DE? C'mon, didn't we just draft Kapon Lewis-Moore last year? The 158 BPA run blocking tight end drafted at 99 when there were some serious talent at RB and CB remaining on the board? Not a very Ozzie draft.

Maybe Ozzie's time is past.

Incredibly super human ? I wouldn't go that far.

I'd say this draft and his work were woefully inadequate and I m a huge Ozzie fan. The man has helped us win 2 SBs and he has been among the best for years. But we needed a monster draft and it didn't happen, regardless of what some ignorant pundits are saying. Like our favorite athletes - Ray, Reed - even our GMs lose their mojo.

• Upvote 1

I'd say this draft and his work were woefully inadequate and I m a huge Ozzie fan. The man has helped us win 2 SBs and he has been among the best for years. But we needed a monster draft and it didn't happen, regardless of what some ignorant pundits are saying. Like our favorite athletes - Ray, Reed - even our GMs lose their mojo.

Yeeees, incredibly super human. Ozzie's " C " drafts ( and how many of those past or present have we seen? ) are " A " drafts for everyone else. I have no problem with the first 3 picks, it's just that after that, things get a littlr cloudy. Another DE? A slow footed blocking TE? A QB whose best asset is his personality and not his physical skills? A slot receiver who cannot catch in traffic and whose arms are said to be too short? All this at the expense of some pretty decent CB's remaining on the board? This amounts to a rare unGod-like " C " rating for Ozzie.

Hey, Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun agrees with my " C " rating.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/12/ozzie-newsome-wasnt-reaching-for-tackles-that-werent-there/

Ozzie Newsome wasn’t reaching for tackles that weren’t there

The Ravens entered the NFL Draft with a need at tackle.

They also left the NFL Draft with a need at tackle.

But in a move that proves his principles outweigh his pragmatism (and why he’s good at his job), Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said he wasn’t going to draft one if the value wasn’t right where he was picking.

“The way the board was stacked, you could see that three or four went right away at the top of the first round,” Newsome said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “So, it wasn’t stacked very well in that case. We were not going to just reach down and just take a player at the tackle position.”

Four tackles were drafted in front of their first pick, and a thinned-out crop at the position left the Ravens with no tackles chosen among their nine picks.

They gave up two of those picks for left tackle Eugene Monroe last year, but lost right tackle Michael Oher in free agency and didn’t choose an immediate replacement last weekend. They have some in-house kids, and could move guardKelechi Osemele to right tackle. But a glaring need was unmet, because they weren’t willing to reach.

Panthers G.M. Dave Gettleman employed a similar strategy, even though he doesn’t have a left tackle either. It’s a risky play, and takes a confident executive to be willing to slow-play a process when too many are going for immediate gratification.

• Upvote 1