ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Brady Quinn says Ravens nearly drafted him

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/brady-quinn-says-ravens-nearly-drafted-him/

Brady Quinn had a lengthy wait before finally hearing his name called on the first day of the 2007 NFL Draft. Quinn slid down the board before the Cleveland Browns traded with the Dallas Cowboys to move up and select Quinn with the 22nd overall pick.

However, Quinn says that he was close to being drafted by the Baltimore Ravens instead.

Appearing on NFL Network, Quinn said right up until the Browns made the trade up to 22, he had been on the phone with multiple members of the Ravens’ staff and was toldthey were planning on taking him.

“During that pick, I was on the phone with the Baltimore Ravens the entire time,” Quinn said. So, I was talking to (general manager) Ozzie Newsome, coach (Brian) Billick and coach (Rick) Neuheisel because I hadn’t interviewed with them, hadn’t worked out for them or anything.

“All of a sudden with like a minute left I get a call from a 216 area code, which happened to be Cleveland. It was the Browns calling to tell me they were trading up to the 22nd pick.”

Quinn said the Ravens were planning on taking him with the 23rd pick, which may imply a potential deal with the Ravens had ready to go with the Kansas City Chiefs to move up. Instead, the Chiefs selected receiver Dwayne Bowe with the 23rd pick and the Ravens held their place and selected guard Ben Grubbs.

Daniel Jeremiah, who was hosting the program, was a member of the Ravens scouting staff at that time and echoed Quinn’s statements that Baltimore were seriously considering selecting Quinn.

“We were talking to you on the phone and having that discussion about ‘are we going to take Brady Quinn? We can’t believe he’s still on the board,’” Jeremiah said.

Instead, the Ravens waited another year before taking a quarterback in the first round. Baltimore selected Joe Flacco with the 18th overall selection in 2008.

So Billick knows QB's.

Its a crap shoot with QBs, look at the 1998 draft. One of the greatest/greatest bust going 1/2. Another QB I like was Lienart, but never made the transition.

Draft anaylis on Ryan Leaf:

Leaf appears to be the hot QB in this draft, and he led WSU to a storybook season...He is a physically imposing QB with great size and strength....he is very sturdy and durable in the pocket, and is a surprisingly good athlete for his size...He has a strong arm and shows good touch, and can change up the speed on his passes...He has good feet, but is not really a scrambler. However, he can stand in and take the big hits....He is a very naturally gifted player, but could improve on his throwing mechanics, although it is not a major problem....There are no physical or athletic limitations to hold Leaf back from becoming a great NFL QB. However, there appears to be some minor nagging questions in the area of maturity and his mental approach to the game. He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught...There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it...However, Leaf made all the right moves at the end of his season when he declared for the NFL draft...Unless he turns some teams off in individual interviews between now and the draft, he should have no problems....Nobody will question his physical abilities, and it is not outlandish to think that he could be the first pick of the draft, instead of Peyton Manning....There is a huge upside with Leaf, and it is conceivable that he could be one of the best young QB’s in the game in 2-3 years...His ability to play as physical as he does and take the hits that will obviously come, when playing for a team that obviously doesn’t have a very good OL, will help him get over the tough times as a team builds around him.

Actually I wonder if had he been here and not in Jax that Byron might have panned out. But again Billick would have had his time to destroy him.

I always thought he would. Big arm like we like. He was too slow and a long wind up but may have done ok here. Not great but ok. Glad we didn't get him because we never get Suggs or Joe if we had gotten him

Actually I wonder if had he been here and not in Jax that Byron might have panned out. But again Billick would have had his time to destroy him.

What did Billick have to work with ? He had nothing to do with so called ruining Boller he was a horrible college qb. I don't think Billick had the power to trade 2004s #1 to get Boller .

Sure is a sorry trail of attempts by this organization to find a starting qb. It took a long time and lots of disappointments before we got to Joe. On the other hand, some organizations never get it right. I wonder what the Browns are going to do in the first round this year.

All this just shows how hard it is to find a franchise QB and win a SB with them. There's been. 47 SBs and less than 35 Super Bowl winning QBs. And some of those aren't really franchise QBs. It's hard. We have done alright here in Bmore

I loved Leftwich coming out. I wanted us to draft him so badly. As a prospect the guy displayed outstanding leadership qualities, toughness, and a rocket arm. I thought he was every bit as talented as Carson Palmer, just that Leftwich didn't play against a high level of competition. The thought was if Billick could get a strong-armed QB we could attack down the field to open up our run game which was strong at the time. Boller had a strong arm and was athletic, he simply had a terrible football IQ and overthought every throw he made. While Leftwich was smart, the long release and slow foot-speed within the pocket prevented Leftwich from ever being a solid starting QB. We had some poor pass protecting lines under Billick, and we never got any legitimate deep threat receivers until Flacco got here. I think Leftwich would have gotten killed in Billick's offense. Definitely worked out for the best for us.

That season Palmer lead Cincy to win the Div and his knee was blown out he was much better than Boller ever was.

As I said, look who he had to throw to, Mucho Stinko in his prime, Housh in his prime, they could make any QB seem good, as they did. Carson was a #1 overall pick that year, played like ryan leaf throughout his career