ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens can do it again

vmax

Soon...anytime now...the media will start telling us that the Ravens have lost 7 straight to the Colts and never won at Lucas Oil Stadium...that Peyton Manning will pick the Ravens apart and end their season...'nice run Ravens (pat on the back) but you don't have a shot"...

Before we let that bullshit infest our brains...turn it off...it's only part of the reality of what is happening in these 2009/10 playoffs.

We heard the same crap about the Pats and guess what? The Colts are almost the same team as the Pats.

They are last at running the ball. 24th at stopping the run...both factors worse than the Pats. This plays into the Ravens hands who run at will and close the door on the run.

The same game plan as Sunday's will beat the Colts Saturday night...with a little more help from Joe.

The Ravens can and will run on them and Joe will have opportunities to make 2-3 big plays during the game. He may even be healthier since he basicly had the day off Sunday.

I don't expect the Ravens to jump out 24-0...that is a rare occurance, but the Ravens lost a close 17-15 game to them this year and they have a very decent shot to get the win Sunday. This is not a dominant playoff field. Just as those were not the Pats of old, so too, these are not the Colts of old...except for Manning. They are a below average team without Manning...think Redskins...:D

The Colts lost their last 2 games and it will be 3 full weeks before the team takes the field with all their starters. The Bills spanked them. They can be had.

It will take the same kind of performance to win that the Ravens gave Sunday and they are very capable of duplicating that because they are hitting full stride right now.

Unlike the rested, but rusty, Colts.

"Oh shit! It's not the British..The Ravens are comming!"

23765320722540-10162507.JPG

This game isn't even going to be close. I predicted a spanking at New England, and you can look forward to a repeat performance this weekend. The only reason the Colts are going to score any points at all is because of the dome-effect.

Ravens 31, Colts 17

I know it's tough, but you have to start looking at this game independent of the games we've played against Indy in the past few years. The biggest difference isn't our QB or RB play; it's our dominance in the trenches. Our offensive line is as dominant right now as it's ever been (yes, including Jamal's 2000-yard-season) Freeney and Mathis weren't even an afterthought in the first game against Indy, and the Colts are even worse at corner than we are. Flacco will hit 2 huge passes (catch it this time, D-Will)

Our guys just got out of a fight; the Colts just got out of the hottub. Our big guys are going to kill their big guys, and the game is over right there. Manning's antics aside.

Ok guys, lets not get carried away here. Yes the Colts are 0-3 after a bye, but it's not like they've been getting their asses kicked. All three losses have been in close gamees and in the last two the Colts did have a chance to win in the final minutes. Add in the fact that Caldwell is nowhere near as laid back as Dungy and the Colts will be ready to play. I do think we can win this game but it's not going to be easy - it's going to be a battle. I really hope the Ravens don't go into this game thinking they're going to see the same team they played at home earlier this year. That's the mistake the Patriots made with us.

Ok guys, lets not get carried away here. Yes the Colts are 0-3 after a bye, but it's not like they've been getting their asses kicked. All three losses have been in close gamees and in the last two the Colts did have a chance to win in the final minutes. Add in the fact that Caldwell is nowhere near as laid back as Dungy and the Colts will be ready to play. I do think we can win this game but it's not going to be easy - it's going to be a battle. I really hope the Ravens don't go into this game thinking they're going to see the same team they played at home earlier this year. That's the mistake the Patriots made with us.

OutsideRzAce,

I am with you and not ready to get drunk on the Purple Kool Aid. We beat a vulnerable Pats team, with a gimpy QB and a defense with many holes. In short, we caught them at the perfect time and all the planets aligned for us last Sunday.

Like VMax, Crav and yourself, I believe we can win at Indy. Once again, the planets will have to align except this time we will need to:

Frustrate Manning and shut down a more stout (than NE) WR corps - Wayne, Garcon, Collie, and Clark (TE). Mannings needs to receive the Brady treatment from Sunday (if not worse)

Continue springing the 3 headed monster loose - Rice and McGahee have to have huge games - in order to keep Manning off (or minimize his presence) on the field.

Flacco has got to remain upright and our OL needs to come up huge in pass protection. We cant let Freeney and Mathis taking over this game. If they do, its all over in a hurry. Flacco needs to make good, not great, throws and our WRs need to make big catches. Mason, Dwill, Clayton, K Wash and Heap need to make critical receptions.

Like last Sunday, we have to come out VERY FAST and take the crowd out of the game. We cant play from behind. Flacco is not capable of putting up huge numbers and we cannot afford to abandon the running game.

If we do the above, we might be successful this week.

Regardless, its been a good ride so far. Here's hoping it continues another week.

OutsideRzAce,

I am with you and not ready to get drunk on the Purple Kool Aid. We beat a vulnerable Pats team, with a gimpy QB and a defense with many holes. In short, we caught them at the perfect time and all the planets aligned for us last Sunday.

I do agree with you, I am not ready to get drunk on the Kool Aid yet, but you are doing this team, Harbaugh, the coaches, and everyone in the organization a major injustice saying we only beat the Pats because they were "vulnerable" and the "planets aligned." We have very much our fair share of injuries. As evident by our earlier matchup with the Pats, we play this team ten times, we probably win at least five or six of those games. Don't discredit this team's win, that was a very good Pats team. We just played more physical then them. If anything, this shows how a fast start can demoralize any team in this league. I am seriously tired of everyone discrediting our wins. There is a reason why every analyst choose the Pats to beat us, they were seen as the better team.

I do agree with you, I am not ready to get drunk on the Kool Aid yet, but you are doing this team, Harbaugh, the coaches, and everyone in the organization a major injustice saying we only beat the Pats because they were "vulnerable" and the "planets aligned." We have very much our fair share of injuries. As evident by our earlier matchup with the Pats, we play this team ten times, we probably win at least five or six of those games. Don't discredit this team's win, that was a very good Pats team. We just played more physical then them. If anything, this shows how a fast start can demoralize any team in this league. I am seriously tired of everyone discrediting our wins. There is a reason why every analyst choose the Pats to beat us, they were seen as the better team.

Cleetz,

Didnt mean to discredit the team. It was a huge win - a landmark victory. I was articulating that the formula for last Sunday's success was dependent upon several factors - each of which had to play our perfectly. They did and we did.

We will need another near perfect performance again this Sunday to be victorious.

As an aside, its been an awesome year I am very excited about this team and its future. I just let the business and reality part of me creep into the conversation. Thats me .

GO RAVENS !

If we can get pressure on Manning the way we did Brady (up the middle, without sending corners or safeties) we will win. One thing that you hopefully noticed in the New England game was how well our entire defense is tackling, especially our corners. Yes, the turnovers helped, but sound tackling is what makes a good defense great.

And if you don't think our HUGE, oversized offensive line (especially our BIG package) will absolutely destroy the quick-but-undersized Colts front-7, you're crazy.

Cleetz,

Didnt mean to discredit the team. It was a huge win - a landmark victory. I was articulating that the formula for last Sunday's success was dependent upon several factors - each of which had to play our perfectly. They did and we did.

We will need another near perfect performance again this Sunday to be victorious.

As an aside, its been an awesome year I am very excited about this team and its future. I just let the business and reality part of me creep into the conversation. Thats me .

GO RAVENS !

Here is the point where I am disagreeing with you, I do not think the formula for our success requires "several factors each of which had to play out perfectly." How does running the ball, keeping the penalties low, and playing good defense require several factors playing out perfectly in our favor? It is simple, we run the ball, Manning stays off the field, and we eat the clock. Indy may be a better team than us, but they are not that much better than us where we have to play a "perfect game" to win. This week we will have Gaither and Ed Reed back. There is no way Indy will be able to stop our running game in the redzone again like last time. IMO, Indy's run defense is just as big of a liability against our running game than our pass defense is against Manning and the Colts passing attack.

This game is hardly Peyaton against Ray and his defense, seems like one game peyaton has the advantage and the next our Defense, ex. last game and in 2006 our D did the job.

For me its first of all about coaching and our offense against their defense, seems like we have lost those battles time after time, and it is ridiculos how often our runninggame game after game against indy disappear.

For us to have succes, our OL and DL has to be on top, can they do that, we win.

Here is the point where I am disagreeing with you, I do not think the formula for our success requires "several factors each of which had to play out perfectly." How does running the ball, keeping the penalties low, and playing good defense require several factors playing out perfectly in our favor? It is simple, we run the ball, Manning stays off the field, and we eat the clock. Indy may be a better team than us, but they are not that much better than us where we have to play a "perfect game" to win. This week we will have Gaither and Ed Reed back. There is no way Indy will be able to stop our running game in the redzone again like last time. IMO, Indy's run defense is just as big of a liability against our running game than our pass defense is against Manning and the Colts passing attack.

Cleetz,

I guess we could just agree to disagree. We are a 10-7 team (9-7 before NE)that needed a pretty dang perfect effort (defense and run offense) to beat a Pats team who we had never beaten and who hadnt lost in playoffs at home for over 30 years (1977). Given Joe's paltry numbers (4-10 + 34 yds) and dinged up condition, everything else (sans the muffed punt) had to be almost perfect.

Did u really see Bradys 2-3 picks, Rays sack, Rice's 83 yd scamper, 160 yds plus ? C'mon.

We will need a similar feat - near perfect performance in several (not all) areas - to dismantle the Colts and come away victorious. As a minimum, we have to pound the rock and stop the opposing QB (as well if not better as we did in NE game). After all, they are 14-2.

Can we do it ? Sure. Will we do it ? I sure as hell hope so.

Cleetz,

I guess we could just agree to disagree. We are a 10-7 team (9-7 before NE)that needed a pretty dang perfect effort (defense and run offense) to beat a Pats team who we had never beaten and who hadnt lost in playoffs at home for over 30 years (1977). Given Joe's paltry numbers (4-10 + 34 yds) and dinged up condition, everything else (sans the muffed punt) had to be almost perfect.

Did u really see Bradys 2-3 picks, Rays sack, Rice's 83 yd scamper, 160 yds plus ? C'mon.

We will need a similar feat - near perfect performance in several (not all) areas - to dismantle the Colts and come away victorious. As a minimum, we have to pound the rock and stop the opposing QB (as well if not better as we did in NE game). After all, they are 14-2.

Brady threw those picks because we had a solid gameplan and outcoached the opposing team. Is it really that hard to believe we will not have another solid gameplan this week? Especially considering that the Colts have a rookie coach. Considering we won 33-14, there would have definitely been room for some leeway against the Pats, so a "perfect game" was not needed. We nearly beat the Pats back in Week 4 and we had a large amount of mistakes in that game, conditions hardly have to be perfect to win but it definitely helps. I am not saying we will beat the Colts with Flacco passing the ball only 10 times, I am saying that the formula of good defense, low penalties, and running the ball is a formula to win. That hardly depends on anything else. And if Flacco does have to pass the ball 20+ times, I am confident he will get the job done. It all comes down to slowing Manning and keeping penalties low, because I have a feeling the offense will be fine with our running game.

Brady threw those picks because we had a solid gameplan and outcoached the opposing team. Is it really that hard to believe we will not have another solid gameplan this week? Especially considering that the Colts have a rookie coach. Considering we won 33-14, there would have definitely been room for some leeway against the Pats, so a "perfect game" was not needed. We nearly beat the Pats back in Week 4 and we had a large amount of mistakes in that game, conditions hardly have to be perfect to win but it definitely helps. I am not saying we will beat the Colts with Flacco passing the ball only 10 times, I am saying that the formula of good defense, low penalties, and running the ball is a formula to win. That hardly depends on anything else. And if Flacco does have to pass the ball 20+ times, I am confident he will get the job done. It all comes down to slowing Manning and keeping penalties low, because I have a feeling the offense will be fine with our running game.

Cleetz,

Sounds good. Who will we meet in the championship game, SD or NY ?

Cleetz,

Sounds good. Who will we meet in the championship game, SD or NY ?

LOL, I'm setting myself up for a major letdown, aren't I? I went into last week thinking we were going to lose, now I have higher expectations. Watch us come out and commit over 100 yards in penalties. For the record, I think NY is going to win that game. Their defense is on a hot streak, and the Chargers have a horrible run defense, so there will be no need for Sanchez to throw anything other than the waggles he has been throwing the past three weeks.

LOL, I'm setting myself up for a major letdown, aren't I? I went into last week thinking we were going to lose, now I have higher expectations. Watch us come out and commit over 100 yards in penalties. For the record, I think NY is going to win that game. Their defense is on a hot streak, and the Chargers have a horrible run defense, so there will be no need for Sanchez to throw anything other than the waggles he has been throwing the past three weeks.

We'll see. I actually like SD. I think Sanchez will hit a "wall" and the Jets vaunted D wont be able to contain all the Chargers weapons. Derrel Reavis (sp?)cant play all 11 D positions (yeah I know they have Harris, Scott, Leonard). Like ours, it should be a helluva game.

Cleetz,

What you mean to say is, "If we want to blow the Colts out, we're going to have to 'play a perfect game'. That's probably true. As for New England, they never had a shot, and we outplayed them in every area. We could've played worse and won by less, but no matter what, we were winning that game. Hell, we handed them 7 points by not throwing a challenge flag, and another challenge cost us 2 points. Combined with Flacco's accuracy problems and the dropped catches by the receivers (D-Will), I think you'd agree that our Patriots-dismantling was hardly perfect. Kurt Warner was perfect. We were not. We're just really, really good, and we don't lose if we're not committing dumb penalties.

We'll see. I actually like SD. I think Sanchez will hit a "wall" and the Jets vaunted D wont be able to contain all the Chargers weapons. Derrel Reavis (sp?)cant play all 11 D positions (yeah I know they have Harris, Scott, Leonard). Like ours, it should be a helluva game.

I can see this game easily going either way. Revis cannot play the whole field, but he has the ability to shut down the Chargers best receiver, Vincent Jackson, and essentially a third of the field when you consider his run stopping ability as well. The X-factor is definitely Antonio Gates. Harris and Scott are more of run-stoppers and blitzers and are average in coverage, and Jim Leonhard is undersized, Gates presents a major mismatch for that defense. If the Chargers get off to a quick start forcing Sanchez to throw the ball, I could easily see Sanchez throwing 3+ INTs and the Jets get blown out.

What you mean to say is, "If we want to blow the Colts out, we're going to have to 'play a perfect game'. That's probably true. As for New England, they never had a shot, and we outplayed them in every area. We could've played worse and won by less, but no matter what, we were winning that game. Hell, we handed them 7 points by not throwing a challenge flag, and another challenge cost us 2 points. Combined with Flacco's accuracy problems and the dropped catches by the receivers (D-Will), I think you'd agree that our Patriots-dismantling was hardly perfect. Kurt Warner was perfect. We were not. We're just really, really good, and we don't lose if we're not committing dumb penalties.

^^^ A much better worded explanation of what I was trying to say. =)