ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A DT with Pick 2?

oldno82

Brooks' "character issues":

Leads me to believe that you're being a bit dramatic.

PS: Smith is 34, not 37. And he certainly counts as a receiver who can beat press coverage.

This isn't about "go Ozzie" or being blinded by hope. It's about the fact that these three nights of drafting college players are not meant to fill holes that exist at that moment. The draft is meant to build a solid core for the future. Player acquisition does not stop after these three nights are over and, more importantly, there are a few other people making some more accurate assessments about players already on our roster than you or I are capable of making.

This isn't about being blinded, it's about sounding silly when things aren't going the way you'd like them to go.

Good points and I agree.

I sounded silly and always do when things don't go my way. Now....after having a night to sleep on it I can see the Ravens are having a good draft.

Brooks' "character issues":

Leads me to believe that you're being a bit dramatic.

PS: Smith is 34, not 37. And he certainly counts as a receiver who can beat press coverage.

This isn't about "go Ozzie" or being blinded by hope. It's about the fact that these three nights of drafting college players are not meant to fill holes that exist at that moment. The draft is meant to build a solid core for the future. Player acquisition does not stop after these three nights are over and, more importantly, there are a few other people making some more accurate assessments about players already on our roster than you or I are capable of making.

This isn't about being blinded, it's about sounding silly when things aren't going the way you'd like them to go.

Brooks, look deeper at his profile on ESPN, it pretty much backs up what I said. Yes he is fast, yes, even quick, and likes to hit. However, he is not a good tackler, the discipline I spoke of was on the field, scheme, sorry, I should have been more specific.

He reads the qb's eyes, to get his jumps. In the NFL, that will get you beat. He does understand he needs to recognize route combinations, but he still relies on reading the quarterback-peeking into the back field. This is not good in the NFL as a way of playing safety consistantly.

He is small, thin, only finnished one full season at FSU,

Smaller frame is concerning, especially given style of play. 2012 was only season in which he played every game (started all 14). In 2013, missed Wake Forest with concussion. Has battled gameday cramping since high school.

and this gem from your link-

Smooth mover but lacks ideal suddenness and can struggle to mirror quicker route runners. Slot man-to-man coverage limitations. Below average three-cone (7.35) matches what we see on tape.

Speed is good unless you can't use it, three cone drill is far more important than 40 time. Certain injuries are ok, they do not haunt a player. Other injuries though, hamstrings, cramping, knees, concussions, look out.....

His lack of quickness and peaking into the back field all point to a lack of scheme discipline. That may change, yes, I could be wrong. However, with as much as I watch games, players and knowing what to look for, th(is was a career I once wanted to be in), I'll take my words and mark them down, eat them if I am wrong, but all signs point to him not being the starting safety this team needs going forward.

It has nothing to do with not taking the player I wanted, nor just about this year.. Go back to the last few drafts, you see most, a majority of the players taken, are not living up to their potential. Everyone excuses their play for being young, they "just need a little more time"...... The jury is still out on elam, by the way, dispite what the Ravens say publically.

• Downvote 1

I don't think anyone could disagree that we have a lot of issues with draftees meeting their potential. Probably more issues than we should for as much as we glorify our war room about their selections.

As far as durability, he has it. He only missed one game last year, and that was for a concussion (and I think he left the FSU/Miami game early). He's a tough, aggressive guy, and I think once he puts on the weight and muscle that he could stand to gain, and works on his ball skills, he is more than starter-worthy. He's a great center fielder from the standpoint of knowing where to be and when to play the box. The skills he lacks are exactly the kinds of skills that the NFL is made to develop. I think he'll be good.

And that being said, I don't actually have any damn clue. Neither of us do, and I don't mean to say that with the intention of forcing anyone to eat crow later. I'm just frustrated that we're all doing what a message board was meant to do--complain endlessly about everything. I'm not sure that I see the value that others do at those picks, and personally think that we got the BPA in just about every spot. I'm happy with that, but I feel like some are wishing we were drafting for need, and that's bothering me.

• Upvote 1

I'm just saying none of these guys have played a single down of NFL football. Some take years to develop, look at Jimmy Smith. Not a whole lot of hype about Pitta out of college and he made a decent TE. I have absolute trust in Oz late round picks and UDFA are his breadnbutter. What Tucker or Marlon Brown will we find next.

• Upvote 1

I'm just saying none of these guys have played a single down of NFL football. Some take years to develop, look at Jimmy Smith. Not a whole lot of hype about Pitta out of college and he made a decent TE. I have absolute trust in Oz late round picks and UDFA are his breadnbutter. What Tucker or Marlon Brown will we find next.

Yep, this is where Ozzie and his staff do their best work, late rounds and UDFA.

Just a bad, bad 3 days. Not at all what I was looking for or expecting. A real bummer.

I just hope the Raven front office doesn't read this. They'd be so disapointed that your expectations weren't met.

• Upvote 1

I just hope the Raven front office doesn't read this. They'd be so disapointed that your expectations weren't met.

Obviously, they wouldn't give a damn or 2 cents for what I think and I could care less what they think or don't think of my expectations.

This draft sucked. I give it a solid F. Crav is right in what he's been saying.

Obviously, they wouldn't give a damn or 2 cents for what I think and I could care less what they think or don't think of my expectations.

This draft sucked. I give it a solid F. Crav is right in what he's been saying.

How do you know that this draft is a total bust? Can you see the future? I know your next question to me is this. Can I read the future? No, but I trust in this Ravens front office. Their track record speaks for itself. 5 playoff appearance in 6 years. 3 AFC championship games. 1 superbowl victory. That's what I go with. You go by positional draft. Very few NFL teams do that and they are normally the cellar dwellers.

How do you know that this draft is a total bust? Can you see the future? I know your next question to me is this. Can I read the future? No, but I trust in this Ravens front office. Their track record speaks for itself. 5 playoff appearance in 6 years. 3 AFC championship games. 1 superbowl victory. That's what I go with. You go by positional draft. Very few NFL teams do that and they are normally the cellar dwellers.

When a team has definite, almost desperate needs, and they're not addressed on draft day, I can't feel any optimism at all about this team and where it's heading. If I am proved wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. But I don't think our FO has been living up to it's past reputation for drafting for quite some time now.

When a team has definite, almost desperate needs, and they're not addressed on draft day, I can't feel any optimism at all about this team and where it's heading. If I am proved wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. But I don't think our FO has been living up to it's past reputation for drafting for quite some time now.

IMO our defensive front seven was just as big of a need as offensive line or wide receiver. As far as safety, I was not high on Ha Ha or Pryor being worth the 17th pick. I think we did well with Brooks.

Every team has definite needs on draft day every year. The point is that draft day is not the only (or necessarily the best) way to fill those needs, especially since the needs of the team might change by the time those players have developed. One draft weekend does not make a season, and I know you know that.