ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

A DT with Pick 2?

oldno82

Ill repeat here what I said in the other thread; this pick makes no sense, none, zero, zip. If the Ravens had him rated this high, they must be high, he is a loafer, doesn't move people back, and loves the mary jane too much. Six defenes picks now in the first six rounds, going back to last year, and the offense is still waivering mainly because of a piss poor line and receivers who struggle with press coverage..... Watch, mark my words, another 2nd round bust for Ozzie.....

Doom and gloom on the boards tonight.

Doom & gloom, maybe, maybe not. Historicly, Ozzie has missed badly in the 2nd round, so I would say the doom is warranted. Moses was rated higher on most boards and he is a player for a position of need.. Now granted, much of my disappointment is in seeing Mathews go to the Iggles.....

I'll admit I thought for sure the pick would be Moses or the FSU safety. I feel a second round pick for an undersized nose tackle is a big risk. I don't know anything about Jerrigan other than some early hype this year, but is he any better than NT Jesse Williams who went in the fifth round last year?

However, I learned long ago not to doubt Ozzie so I'll withhold judgement.

Not always.. Rice, and Torrey were 2s. KO had a great 1st year. I think Uppy will be decent too some day.

That is why I said historicly, Upshaw has reached his limit, time will tell if Smith will improve any further and Rice appears to be at the end of his career. So four players in 18 drafts, but hey. at least he didn't trade up for Deron burnt toastJenkins, oh wait, he did..............

One other thing: Ngata is probably gone after this upcoming season unless he takes a cap friendly extension. This pick might look a lot better next season.

except Jernigan is a one technique player, not likely to be able to adapt to a 3 and the Ravens had a couple of players stashed on ir, ps, who had very good pre seasons /camps last year. Short, short arms, no quick first step, not a hard worker, already in the drug program now officially since he has been drafted; not good.

except Jernigan is a one technique player, not likely to be able to adapt to a 3 and the Ravens had a couple of players stashed on ir, ps, who had very good pre seasons /camps last year. Short, short arms, no quick first step, not a hard worker, already in the drug program now officially since he has been drafted; not good.

I realize that. What I mean is the entire defensive line is old regardless and desperately needs depth. Get the talent sort it out later. Even CJ Mosley. Everyone says ILB wasn't a position of need, but there is no guarantee that Arthur Brown is ready to step up. If anything, these last two picks show how we have a lot more holes than many of us thought initially.

I realize that. What I mean is the entire defensive line is old regardless and desperately needs depth. Get the talent sort it out later. Even CJ Mosley. Everyone says ILB wasn't a position of need, but there is no guarantee that Arthur Brown is ready to step up. If anything, these last two picks show how we have a lot more holes than many of us thought initially.

Great point cleetz.

I thought Brandon Williams was the future

Me too. In 2015 it might be Williams and Jernigan in the middle and Mosley and Brown behind them.

Things can change that quick.

We didn't need a 2nd round pick anyway

i'm sure crav loves this pick.

WE should know better then to second guess the Oz..My entire belief entering the draft was as we stood, we were a playoff team, and 2 players tops were all we needed to be super bowl caliber.But I felt it was at the WR & RT positions..Only time will tell

a defense that was ranked 12th over all, an offense ranked 18th over all. while it is true, the defense had trouble getting off the field, and no team has ever been to, nor won a super bowl with a defense and offense ranked top 10, two years straight of ignoring the obvious, playing guessing games with the offensive line is going to hurt this team for years to come.

They have done nothing to improve the offense so far, nothing. They have a 37 year old receiver who may or may not hold up for a full season and young receivers who do not run good routes and struggle with press coverage. This draft WAS full of top receivers who excell in both of those categories and who thrive going after contested passes. 12 were taken, none by the Ravens. No right tackle unless they get real lucky with one in the 4th and later rounds.

But oh, sure be happy about two players from FSU with discipline issues and a tight end not good at anything....../ ok back to normal mode! Go Ozzie!

a defense that was ranked 12th over all, an offense ranked 18th over all. while it is true, the defense had trouble getting off the field, and no team has ever been to, nor won a super bowl with a defense and offense ranked top 10, two years straight of ignoring the obvious, playing guessing games with the offensive line is going to hurt this team for years to come.

They have done nothing to improve the offense so far, nothing. They have a 37 year old receiver who may or may not hold up for a full season and young receivers who do not run good routes and struggle with press coverage. This draft WAS full of top receivers who excell in both of those categories and who thrive going after contested passes. 12 were taken, none by the Ravens. No right tackle unless they get real lucky with one in the 4th and later rounds.

But oh, sure be happy about two players from FSU with discipline issues and a tight end not good at anything....../ ok back to normal mode! Go Ozzie!

Brooks' "character issues":

Hard worker. Puts in time in weight room. Had to earn every inch at FSU and has developed a chip, which motivates him. Accountable and biggest critic. However, there are concerns in terms of dwelling on mistakes. Was a top special teams player for most of early career at FSU. Was raised by his grandmother. Tough upbringing and will have some initial trust issues, but is coachable and capable of developing trusting relationship with coaches that earn it. No off the field incidents.

Leads me to believe that you're being a bit dramatic.

PS: Smith is 34, not 37. And he certainly counts as a receiver who can beat press coverage.

This isn't about "go Ozzie" or being blinded by hope. It's about the fact that these three nights of drafting college players are not meant to fill holes that exist at that moment. The draft is meant to build a solid core for the future. Player acquisition does not stop after these three nights are over and, more importantly, there are a few other people making some more accurate assessments about players already on our roster than you or I are capable of making.

This isn't about being blinded, it's about sounding silly when things aren't going the way you'd like them to go.

• Upvote 1