ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens over/under win totals

ravinmaniac52

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Divisional-Playoff-Highlights-Ravens-vs-Broncos/886bc6ec-8de9-45eb-b335-6712b9edaf58

It is at 1:11. Torrey had position and Joe threw for him to run under it. He did not throw him open. Long throws are not really throwing guys open anyways. Everything except 7, 8 , and 9 routes you throw open. Smith ran a 9 on that play.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=mike-sando&id=8380

Kubiak among critical new coordinators

1. Kubiak to the Ravens as offensive coordinator

Quarterback Joe Flacco is ditching the three-digit play system for West Coast terminology and expanded zone concepts with the bootleg action Kubiak used when Matt Schaub was his quarterback in Houston. We won't know until the season starts whether this will be a full or partial conversion. Sometimes, a new coordinator adjusts not only to his personnel but to the preferences of the head coach. Kubiak, as a longtime former head coach, is more established than the majority of coordinators. A similarly established offensive coach from another team said he thought that could be a very good thing in Baltimore.

"I am a huge Kubiak fan," that coach said. "In my opinion, Flacco is controlling too many things there. You need to grab ahold of him and tell him to just go play. He's had the keys to the car and hasn't gotten it started, so Kubiak needs to say, 'Here is what we are going to do.' I think Kubiak can do that."

A former personnel director working in another capacity wasn't so sure. "I think Flacco is what Flacco is -- he doesn't care," the ex-director said. "He will do what he wants to do. Look at how he handled the contract negotiations. You've gotta be careful how much you're going to change him, I would think."

Opinions are all over the map. One general manager questioned whether the towering Flacco was a good fit for what Kubiak wants to run. Others suggested Flacco's athleticism is underrated and that he'll be fine in the system. The GM who questioned Flacco's fit in the offense said he thought Ray Rice could flourish with the concepts Kubiak prefers, while a coordinator who thought Rice looked old last season expected Kubiak's offense to help spring receiver Torrey Smith on deeper routes.

We might expect more of an intermediate and shorter passing game from the Ravens, a subject we'll revisit in the section on the Giants. In the past four seasons, Baltimore ranked second in air yards per pass attempt, which reflects how far the ball travels past the line of scrimmage to its target on average. Kubiak's Texans were 27th in that category during the same period. Baltimore was sixth and Houston last when play-action passes were removed from the equation. Some of that could reflect differences in personnel, specifically at quarterback. Scheme was also a factor to some degree.

I'd like to see a solid running game with short to intermediate passes thrown in. I still like the 50/50 run pass ratio. When that is working it brings the defense in closer to the LOS and loads the box. That free's up Joe to make 2-4 big pass plays a game....something he does better than most QB's in the NFL.

4f013ca10297c.preview-300.jpg