ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens over/under win totals

ravinmaniac52

Baltimore Ravens, 8.5
Over (-120) / Under (even)

Kills me that the Steelers and Ravens have identical odds. Kind of a "one of these teams HAS to bounce back in 2014" thing. A lot can hinge on their matchups, which means winning or losing on these totals will basically boil down to six points. I liked what the Ravens did in free agency (adding Steve Smith and Owen Daniels as weapons for Joe Flacco) and the draft (C.J. Mosley and Timmy Jernigan will improve the defense). Credit Ozzie Newsome for reworking things on the fly following an unsuccessful Super Bowl defense. Not completely sold on whether Gary Kubiak's offense will translate to the run and pass game in Baltimore but this is a CUSHY looking schedule for the Ravens to start.
VERDICT: OVER

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24569924/nfl-season-overunder-win-totals-afc-picks

I got 7 - 9. The reasoning: ( A ) Failure of the coaching staff to get on the same page ( read Juan Castillo ). ( B. ) Failure of HC to see the coaching staff is not on the same page ( read John Harbaugh ). Failure of current personnel to adapt to Kubiak's West Coast Offense ( read Joe Flacco ). Defense will once again have to pull this team along, but this coming season that may not be enough due to loss of key personnel and inexperience at key positions.

I am thinking 6-8 wins, mostly on the failure to address the OL situation and RB position in the draft. The offseason shenanigans signal bad karma for this season.

If all the planets align, Rice puts the legal stuff behind him, the players stay out of jail, and the key playmakers don't have major injuries, we might eke out 8 wins.

I got 7 - 9. The reasoning: ( A ) Failure of the coaching staff to get on the same page ( read Juan Castillo ). ( B. ) Failure of HC to see the coaching staff is not on the same page ( read John Harbaugh ). Failure of current personnel to adapt to Kubiak's West Coast Offense ( read Joe Flacco ). Defense will once again have to pull this team along, but this coming season that may not be enough due to loss of key personnel and inexperience at key positions.

Why do you have doubts about Kubiak and the offensive system?

Why do you have doubts about Kubiak and the offensive system?

" Failure of current personnel to adapt to Kubiak's West Coast Offense ( read Joe Flacco ). " If you've been watching Joe Flacco these last 6 years or so, you should realize by now that his skill set is not conducive to running anything but a downfield offense. A West Coast Offense generally requires fast recognition of hot reads and a short quick release - not strong points of Joe Flacco.

Also in many cases throwing to a spot aka throwing your WR open. I cannot remember one throw in Joes career where he has done this. He waits for guys to come open that is one reason he holds the ball to long. I think he lacks faith in his WR's and has way to much faith in his arm.

I agree. Which is why I think Kubiak's offense will be good for Joe. Kubiak doesn't rely on these timing throws. He uses playaction and roll out to give his QBs easy throws. One area where Joe has excelled in his career is off of playaction.

" Failure of current personnel to adapt to Kubiak's West Coast Offense ( read Joe Flacco ). " If you've been watching Joe Flacco these last 6 years or so, you should realize by now that his skill set is not conducive to running anything but a downfield offense. A West Coast Offense generally requires fast recognition of hot reads and a short quick release - not strong points of Joe Flacco.

Offenses nowadays aren't clear cut one system or another. Good coaches best utilize the talents of their players. Kubiak is a good coach and will emphasize Joe's strengths. See Nick Foles in Philly. Every analyst said Foles would never work in Chip Kelly's "system".

Offenses nowadays aren't clear cut one system or another. Good coaches best utilize the talents of their players. Kubiak is a good coach and will emphasize Joe's strengths. See Nick Foles in Philly. Every analyst said Foles would never work in Chip Kelly's "system".

Kubiak is a West Coast Offense coach. No if, ands, or butts about it. Joe Flacco is a deep downfield pocket passer. No if, ands, or buts about it. Do the math.

Kubiak is a West Coast Offense coach. No if, ands, or butts about it. Joe Flacco is a deep downfield pocket passer. No if, ands, or buts about it. Do the math.

Not always true... yes he loves the deep jump ball. If you look at Joe's early years his targets were Mason and Heap. The last few years he had to be a deep passer since Torrey and Jacoby aren't the best at running short routes. You have to go with what personnel you have.

From all accounts this will be a 2TE base system. We're not going to have a deep vertical game with Daniels/Pitta and SmithSR. I WANT this system. How many 3rd and 4's did we try a 20 pass?

Not always true... yes he loves the deep jump ball. If you look at Joe's early years his targets were Mason and Heap. The last few years he had to be a deep passer since Torrey and Jacoby aren't the best at running short routes. You have to go with what personnel you have.

From all accounts this will be a 2TE base system. We're not going to have a deep vertical game with Daniels/Pitta and SmithSR. I WANT this system. How many 3rd and 4's did we try a 20 pass?

Doesn't change a thing. Kubiak is undeniably a West Coast Offense coach. Joe Flacco is a vertical deep downdield pocket passer. Do the math. It does't add up.

Yep, I'm looking forward to it.