ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens need an excellent camp

vmax

The Ravens need to have an excellent training camp a hit the first game with "guns-a-blazing" because....

There would be less nervousness if the Ravens were opening with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders or Detroit Lions, but three of the first four games are against division rivals. The fourth is against the Carolina Panthers. That's a tough stretch that could leave the Ravens in a deep hole.

The Cincinnati Bengals won the AFC North last season, and the Pittsburgh Steelers, after an 0-4 start, won six of their last eight games. The Cleveland Browns usually play the Ravens tough, and Carolina won the NFC South with a 12-4 record.

So, for the Ravens to make it through the season's first quarter in good shape, their defense has to be outstanding and the offense has to provide enough big plays.

Training camp key dates

First full-team practice: Thursday

First public practice: July 28 at M&T Bank Stadium, 7 p.m.

Second public practice: Aug. 4 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, 7 p.m.

First preseason game: Aug. 7 vs. San Francisco 49ers, 7:30 p.m.

Third public practice: Aug. 8 with 49ers at M&T Bank Stadium, 1 p.m.

Second preseason game: Aug. 16 at Dallas Cowboys, 7 p.m.

Third preseason game: Aug. 23 vs. Washington Redskins, 7:30 p.m.

Fourth preseason game: Aug. 28 at New Orleans Saints, 8 p.m.

Roster cut to 53: Aug. 30

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-0719-20140718,0,4710432.column#ixzz37v1FgGzD
Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-0719-20140718,0,4710432.column#ixzz37v0Fd818

image.jpeg

I see a 4-0 start, that writer has no confidence

You mean your good friend Mike Preston?

He certainly didn't sound confident about Flacco. I look at this as him challenging the Ravens. I hope they get passed off.

I agree, Max. I think this season will be won or lost in how much is accomplished in this training camp. Lots of unknowns: RT, RB, O-line zone play, Joe and the new offense, and FS. Not sure if I'm sold on Zuttah either but he's definitely worth a serious look.

I wonder if the Ravens are going to be victims of trying to make too much change too quickly. Time will tell.

Sure would make a statement if they start the season with a Win. If that happens, they'll make the playoffs. Real big game.

During Ray Lewis' time with the Ravens, one of the staples of the legendary middle linebacker's rigorous training regimen was running the steep hill at Oregon Ridge Park.

For years, Lewis would attack the incline early in the morning, sprinting up the old ski run in Hunt Valley while carrying logs or heavy weights.

Lewis has been retired for more than a year, but the Ravens are keeping the tradition of running the hill at Oregon Ridge

Along with several other fitness enthusiasts, offensive linemen Jeremy Zuttah, A.Q. Shipley and Will Rackley ran the hill early Friday morning. Running back Ray Rice, wide receiver Torrey Smith, cornerback Jimmy Smith, safety Anthony Levine and former Maryland wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, who now plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, have also run the hill with Timonium-based trainer Kyle Jakobe of Sweat Performance to build up their leg strength and stamina.

"We've been working hard," said Shipley after a grueling workout at Oregon Ridge that included pushups between runs. "We've been going hard. This was kind of like our last bit of conditioning before camp starts. It was a heck of a day.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-players-keep-oregon-ridge-tradition-going-20140719,0,1442693.story#ixzz3833Mby1C

That's what I'm talking about! :gorave:

Nice one papa!

I LOVE HIS ATTITUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

If they use him right and spare his legs then the Ravens will be nasty in the playoffs this year.

And they will make the playoffs. :gorave: